MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

Default Gig for 2,000 people

Hi All,

I am working on a proposal for a very large catering gig and was looking to get some pricing feedback and input from all of you.

Here are the details:
2,000 people, 4 hour serve window. Providing all food, paper goods, silverware, etc. Not providing drinks

two menu options:

Option 1: Pulled Pork sammies (1/3#), beans, slaw
Option 2: Tri-tip & Chicken, beans, slaw, roll

I am looking at $8.00-$8.50 pp for option 1, and $11.00-$11.50 for option 2.

I will need to rent additional equipment for this gig, hire extra, help, etc.

Please let me know what you would charge for this.

Thanks

Pete
fireman_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2010, 02:31 AM   #2
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

Pete is it all 2,000 people at once? or are you doing shifts? doing shifts will give you time to recover and not get slammed with 2,000 guests at once. I this for a company? if so they tend to want things cheap considering they have so many guests not considering the amount of work the caterer has to put in. Best of luck and don't be afraid to raise your prices a little

Bill D
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:04 AM   #3
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

My first question would be: Are 2000 people going to hit you all at once and you have 4 hours to get it done? or are you getting people brought to the line 500 per hour for 4 hours?

500 people per hour is 8 1/3 people per minute. 8 1/3 persons per minute is a tough pace---and for four hours it is dificult to keep the food flowing. This job would require at least 15 serving lines to keep that pace. Cooking the meat does not seem like a problem to me, slicing the tri tip is a challenge. A person slicing tri-tip by hand does not usually have 4 hours of endurance--when slicers get tired they start cutting thicker and thicker slices---it is human nature.

$11.50 per plate may seem like a good price if you just price the cost of the groceries---and the larger the job is---the more the customer wants a lower price. However setting up for a job of this size is going to require extreme labor costs.
Cooking help, slicing help, runners to replenish serving tables help, and server help.

If this job has 2000 people wanting to get fed all at once it can quickly become a nightmare.

I would sit and study all logistics, determine what equipment you would need to rent to supplement what you already have, and figure how many employees that it would take.

The "Santa Maria Elks Club" in Santa Maria, CA does dinners like this very often with just tri-tip and no chicken. I would try to contact someone there. If you were closer I would come help.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Pete Do you need some help?
Fast paced to do 2,000 that quick
We cooked for 1200 over 3 hours at my Wife's school
using a seating times system saved us
They bought tickets for 4 different time slots

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

Hi All,

Folks will be coming in throughout the 4 hour period. This is for a company picnic and they have events, etc throughout the day and the folks will be coming through during that time.

We can get on-site 24 hours in advance. I am pushing the pulled pork option just due to the issues with tri-tip. I want to serve a quality product and keeping tri-tip fresh and not dry is tough (for me)

I have looked at the rental equipment needs and additional labor too.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwagonbbqco View Post
My first question would be: Are 2000 people going to hit you all at once and you have 4 hours to get it done? or are you getting people brought to the line 500 per hour for 4 hours?

500 people per hour is 8 1/3 people per minute. 8 1/3 persons per minute is a tough pace---and for four hours it is dificult to keep the food flowing. This job would require at least 15 serving lines to keep that pace. Cooking the meat does not seem like a problem to me, slicing the tri tip is a challenge. A person slicing tri-tip by hand does not usually have 4 hours of endurance--when slicers get tired they start cutting thicker and thicker slices---it is human nature.

$11.50 per plate may seem like a good price if you just price the cost of the groceries---and the larger the job is---the more the customer wants a lower price. However setting up for a job of this size is going to require extreme labor costs.
Cooking help, slicing help, runners to replenish serving tables help, and server help.

If this job has 2000 people wanting to get fed all at once it can quickly become a nightmare.

I would sit and study all logistics, determine what equipment you would need to rent to supplement what you already have, and figure how many employees that it would take.

The "Santa Maria Elks Club" in Santa Maria, CA does dinners like this very often with just tri-tip and no chicken. I would try to contact someone there. If you were closer I would come help.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Thom for the offer and input.

We need to get the job first, I will let you know.

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery View Post
Pete Do you need some help?
Fast paced to do 2,000 that quick
We cooked for 1200 over 3 hours at my Wife's school
using a seating times system saved us
They bought tickets for 4 different time slots