Johnny trigg??

Shotgun smokers

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've been wanting to try the trigg way when it comes to ribs, I'm using a traeger and I was curious if any of you brothers knew the way trigg does his ribs. Any advice helps! Thanks!

If you cant use the search, just scroll through the first 2-3 pages of posts and you can find it easy...... God forbid, We all know its the end all, be all of Rib recipes.:crazy:

Sorry,
It is worth trying, It is basically a modded 3-2-1, but when he foils, he puts a marinade in the foil. I might be missing something, but its mainly, Parkay, Tiger Sauce, Brown Sugar, Onion Powder, and Garlic Powder.

someone posted a while back his an step by step analysis with pics a while back

grillfella said:
someone posted a while back his an step by step analysis with pics a while back
I'm still new to this sit and I was just curious how I would find that? And thanks for the advice!

I'm still new to this sit and I was just curious how I would find that? And thanks for the advice!

Like I said, if you dont have access to the search function, (you either have to donate, or have been here for quite awhile to have it), scroll through the last 2 or 3 or maybe 5 pages of posts in Q-talk and read the titles of the posts. You will see allot of Trigg Rib posts.

Like anything on this site, if you put some work into finding out how to do something, it will pay off!!

I've been wanting to try the trigg way when it comes to ribs, I'm using a traeger and I was curious if any of you brothers knew the way trigg does his ribs. Any advice helps! Thanks!

The analysis thread gave us a few details, but it's important to remember that Johhny Trigg is a veteran at these competitions, and his cooking method for that show may have been a method he was using to match a local flavor profile... in other words, giving the judges what they wanted. His method may vary competition to competition.

Remember too, his own words: he doesn't care personally for his competition ribs, and he doesn't cook the ribs he eats that way. Me, I want to know his process for his own dinner.

If you wish to learn Trigg's method, there's only one way: take his class.

Johnny Trigg is one of my personal BBQ heroes. I would LOVE to attend one of his classes and will do so if one comes up on my side of the Mississippi.

The thread about Trigg's ribs was gleaned from information that Trigg intentionally shared, every bit of it. He has said so. That should tell you that what's publicly known about how he cooks his ribs is not his exact process. It is just a glimpse into what he does when he cooks comp ribs.

That being said, what he does share is golden. Judges, apparently, love his ribs. And, the method he shares can be tailored to a person's individual tastes.

The 3-2-1 method is a tried and true rib cooking technique that is no secret. It is up to each BBQ cook to modify it to his/her own preferences. If you like them sweet, use some honey or sugar. If you don't like them sweet, don't use it. The same goes for spice, salt, or pepper, rub, and sauce. If foiling for 2 hours is too long for your preference, foil them for less time. If you prefer to wait them out and cook without foil, that's a great way to go. Use what you like.

Either way, Trigg is one of the greats and it's fun to learn from someone who is a master at the craft.

Shotgun... At the bottom of every page there is a Google search box that just searched this domain. there is also a more detailed search function built into the forum software that is available to subscribers.

Johnny Trigg is one of my personal BBQ heroes. I would LOVE to attend one of his classes and will do so if one comes up on my side of the Mississippi.

The thread about Trigg's ribs was gleaned from information that Trigg intentionally shared, every bit of it. He has said so. That should tell you that what's publicly known about how he cooks his ribs is not his exact process. It is just a glimpse into what he does when he cooks comp ribs.

That being said, what he does share is golden. Judges, apparently, love his ribs. And, the method he shares can be tailored to a person's individual tastes.

The 3-2-1 method is a tried and true rib cooking technique that is no secret. It is up to each BBQ cook to modify it to his/her own preferences. If you like them sweet, use some honey or sugar. If you don't like them sweet, don't use it. The same goes for spice, salt, or pepper, rub, and sauce. If foiling for 2 hours is too long for your preference, foil them for less time. If you prefer to wait them out and cook without foil, that's a great way to go. Use what you like.

Either way, Trigg is one of the greats and it's fun to learn from someone who is a master at the craft.

Some excellent points there, Boshizzle! I was lucky enough to take the High Tech/Old School class with Johnny and Rod Gray a couple of years ago. I know of at least one ingredient that is different in what he publicly showed than what he told us in the class. But the key is that what he turns in for the judges probably isn't what you want to eat every day. The judges are going to take one or two bites, that's it. You have to be able to impress them in that short amount of time so competition meat is going to be stronger flavored than what most folks want to eat in quantity. Your points on the 3-2-1 method are valid. It is a tied and true starting point and can be tweaked until you find the timing, seasonings and flavors that suit your tastes and cooking style.

Back