• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Spicewine Learning Curve?

txschutte

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I take delivery, in a little over a week, of a new to me Large Spicewine. I am excited as all get out, as this has been my dream cooker since shortly after I joined this forum some seven years ago.

I have poured over all of the Spicewine threads, and there are very few that are new.

So, without further ado, are there lots of learning curves?

Cook times won't be a problem, as this cooker already has a charcoal maze. I'm talking intake/exhaust ratios?

I've heard choking back the exhaust helps temps, but that just goes against my very idealistic thoughts, with stale smoke and all.

What are you running in your water pan? Water? Foil covered bricks with a dry pan?

Thanks in advance.

You will do well grasshopper! I am so excited for you! I will have a Spicewine one day... Any questions just ask Wyatt or Adambomb.. hehehe

lol I was going to ask...will your first cook be brisket? :mrgreen:
Congrats Shane!

Congrats on your acquisition. Very short learning curve. Very easy temp control. Closing down the upper vent a little will build the temp in the cooking chamber with the lower vent wide open. If both are wide open, you are exhausting the heat as fast as you are building it. Once your cooker gets locked into a temp, it will stay constant for many hours. Your going to love how this cooker performs in sub zero temps. Feel free to ask me any questions that you might have.

Congrats on your new Spicewine You're going to love cooking on it. The learning curve is very short. You will be amazed ah how it holds temps. It is so rock steady that it almost feels like cheating. Once my temps are dialed in and the meat is on I go to sleep.

The capacity of the unit is big. You can cook for a small Ramey on it.

Good luck again with your new toy.

I have a medium spicewine, to get a temp of 250 degrees, i open the bottom butterfly half way and open the damper half way. Once you learn your cooker, which will take one or two cooks at most, you will be getting blue exhaust smoke. You will have to learn how many chunks of a certain size and type of wood to use. These smokers will not over smoke your meat! Use kingsford blue and your temps will be rock solid. Enjoy your cooker, it's one of the best purchases i have ever bought. Thanks Jay! Also, i use water, it was desighned to be used that way, no grease fires to worry about.

Back