How is a tie decided??

The scores will be compared (counting all five judges) for the highest cumulative scores in taste, then tenderness, then appearance. If still tied, then the low score, which was thrown out, will be compared and the higher of the low scores will break the tie. If still tied, then a computer generated coin toss will be used.

I think we have to take a step back...

Dave, are you asking about KCBS or another sanctioning body? Next, are you asking about a tie in one of the individual meat categories or the over all scores? It makes a difference.

For the KCBS meat categories, here is the section of the rules that applies...

7) The low score will be thrown out. Results will be tallied. If there is a tie in one of the categories, it will be broken by the computer, as follows: The scores will be compared (counting all five judges) for the highest cumulative scores in taste, then tenderness, then appearance. If still tied, then the low score, which was thrown out, will be compared and the higher of the low scores will break the tie. If still tied, then a computer generated coin toss will be used.

There is a document on the KCBS web site that describes how this works...

http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/HowToBreakATie.pdf

I think we have to take a step back...

Dave, are you asking about KCBS or another sanctioning body? Next, are you asking about a tie in one of the individual meat categories or the over all scores? It makes a difference.

For the KCBS meat categories, here is the section of the rules that applies...

There is a document on the KCBS web site that describes how this works...

http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/HowToBreakATie.pdf

it was an "Chef's Choice" category, with KCBS judges, so the organizer has a call into them to see how they decided the 1st place winner.

it was an "Chef's Choice" category, with KCBS judges, so the organizer has a call into them to see how they decided the 1st place winner.

Oh, then I would normally think that they'd just pick the team they liked best but that would mean they picked Sledneck over you and that seems crazy.

Maybe they factored in the dropped score.

Oh, then I would normally think that they'd just pick the team they liked best but that would mean they picked Sledneck over you and that seems crazy.

Maybe they factored in the dropped score.

This is the response from Leslie...

per 2010 KCBS Rules & Regulations #7:

7) The low score will be thrown out. Results will be tallied. If
there is a tie in one of the categories, it will be broken by
the computer, as follows: The scores will be compared
(counting all five judges) for the highest cumulative scores
in taste, then tenderness, then appearance. If still tied, then
the low score, which was thrown out, will be compared and
the higher of the low scores will break the tie. If still tied,
then a computer generated coin toss will be used.
Or the team with a member that looks like Guy Fieri ! lol Great Hat!

Dave, i know it was decided by a computer but if you would like we could arm wrestle for it.

Back