I have decided to battle my nemesis...

TIMMAY

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
THE OFFSET...

Well, seeing that two more offset brinkmanns showed up in our common area the other day, I have decided to take the plunge and cook a rack of ribs today. Spent most of the morning cleaning out the ash from folks laying charcoal in the smoke chamber, get a fattie going, get er fired up. This thing is so broke a$$ it is not even funny. All of the doors are bent and it has holes all over it. Oh, and no supplies to do mods. So we shall see. The ribs go on in an hour or two after the fattie is done. At least I have one thing going for me, my smoke is blue, thats a plus. Oh, using blue K and hickory chips. Threw a pile of unlit blue in there then dropped maybe 15 or so hot coals on top.

offset1.jpg

Wow! You get these to show up in your yard randomly?!? Nice!

I've been using this exact same model in competition for four years now. It's an awesome cooker, but they need some modifications to REALLY do the job.

IF you can get two more charcoal (fire) grates from Brinkmann, wrap them in aluminum foil and place them side by side at the exit of the firebox. This will cause the smoke and heat to move across the bottoms to the right end of the firebox before it comes up into the cooking chamber.

THEN - if you can afford a fiver or so, go to your local hardware store and buy two articulated water heater exhaust flues. Use those to extend the smoke stack exhaust down below the cooking level. That way the smoke and heat that the foil-covered charcoal grates just moderated will have to go back down below your food to escape.

These modifications have worked so well for me that I now won't ever cook ribs on anything but my Brinkmann offset.

Your mileage may (and probably will) vary.

:)

At the beginning of the cook I did take some foil and made a tube, wrapped it around the stack on the inside so it is at the cooking grate, not a perfect seal, but I bet it makes a difference. Next time I am gonna do the foil wrapped grate method to move everything across.

did more fattie prep, this one has cheddar cheese, jalapeno and onion strips. Figures. I bought two japs thinking I would use both in the fatties but I only used one. I figured whatever and cut the top off the other, scooped out everything and filled it with cheese. Not quite an ABT cause no bacon. Stood it up with a foil stand. That sucker was blazing hot, and the strips from the other in the fattie was not spicy at all. Oh well.

notherfattie.jpg

I did the 3-2-1 method plus or minus 15 in here and there @ roughly 120-125 CELSIUS (YES, the darn temp probe on the cooker was celsius, had to look the conversion up on the internet!), I need to shorten the "2" cause the meat fell off the bone when I pulled em at the end of the cook. I used to like em that way but I now am looking for a little bit of pull. Either way, the ribs came out pretty darn tasty. They got rubbed with generic Grill Mates pork rub. I told everybody I was doing only one rack as a test cook and those were the first to go and complaining about wanting more. I already committed to making smoked beans next weekend using the rib trimmings.

goodribs.jpg

looks good to me!!

If my ribs are a little soft after I open the foil, I leave them in it but open it all the way for the last hour and then take them out after they have firmed up a bit. I've saved more than one rack by doing that

Have you learned how to do Korean BBQ yet? You should make yourself a UDS. Good Luck!

I'm afraid you're going to soon be labeled by Q-hungry GIs as the Pitmaster and you will get NO rest. LOL Kudos for taking that on, and your pr0n looks good!

Gee, this sounds a lot like dejavue to me, I have an offset New Broanfels (spelling?) that is doing nothing but drawing dust in my shed since I got my Cookshack. My wife bought it for me about 10+ years ago so it's the old style, heavy as heck and no offense but mine doesn't have anywhere near the miles on it yours does. I still got the nubs on the tires:becky: I really like the meat I see comin off your cooker so could someone point me in the right direction to modifying my old unit to do Q like that or should I start a new post? Thank you in advance.:thumb:

My year at Kunsan in 01-02 is how I got into cooking all together. Trying to re-create bulgogi.

Good looking pr0n brother!

BTW, if the Bulgolgi House is still open in A-Town, ask them for their recipe for me ;)

That's how we do!
Great work Timmay!
You have at least one Phan Phrom across The Big Pond!:becky:

Back