MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:13 AM   #1
Fishwater2002
Knows what a fatty is.

Thumbs up Just got a Slow 'N Sear for my Jumbo Joe

Just received my first Slow 'N Sear last week. My Weber kettle's haven't been getting much love over the past few years & always wanted to try the Slow 'N Sear but didn't want to spend the money since unlike a lot of folks I was never really a fan of the kettle (even though I've owned a few, still own a Performer & Jumbo Joe) While I'm not a big kettle guy I still picked up a Jumbo Joe last year for a camping grill since it's easy to pack with decent capacity, although I still wish it could fit a little more food on the grate while cooking indirect.

In prepping for the upcoming camping season I've been lusting over a PK Grill but decided first I would see what all the fuss was about so I ordered the Slow 'N Sear charcoal basket for my Jumbo Joe. I finally got a chance to use it last night & was impressed! We ended up having too much steak to cook in one batch on the Jumbo Joe so I did a reverse sear. I could fit 4 strip steaks with ease but had to do the big Porterhouse by itself. I used half a chimney of RO all natural hardwood briquettes & it was the perfect amount to fill the basket. The steaks came out great & I may have held off the PK lust for another season, time will tell.

Overall I have to give it to ABC, the Slow 'N Sear is a game changer, I'm starting to see what all the fuss is about!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190415_190949.jpg (89.5 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190415_191931.jpg (93.2 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190415_194118.jpg (77.5 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190415_192019.jpg (103.4 KB, 345 views)

Old 04-16-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
tom b
Babbling Farker

I have thought about getting a S&S but have not pulled the trigger, your steaks look perfect.

Inactive list:
Akorn Jr., Wood Fire Barrel Rotisserie cooker, Traeger Timberline 1300 kicked to the curb...
tom b is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #3
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

That there is Good Eats I think you will now enjoy your kettles more
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #4
KClandcruiser
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik

Great looking steaks! I just picked up a 22.5 kettle and am debating if I should get a vortex or slow and sear first. This post has made my decision a little harder
KClandcruiser is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-16-2019, 11:02 AM   #5
Fishwater2002
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KClandcruiser View Post
Great looking steaks! I just picked up a 22.5 kettle and am debating if I should get a vortex or slow and sear first. This post has made my decision a little harder
I'll be ordering the mini Vortex now, I do love me some wing's!

Old 04-16-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tatoosh

I love the kettles, I had a 22" Weber Performer (or One Touch ... whatever) in the Philippines when I lived there for a decade. I used the Smokenator to turn it into a smoker and that worked really well. Not perfect, but a whole lot better than what I could have cobbled together.

The Slow & Sear looks like a step up. Bigger charcoal area and better water containment. I can't do charcoal right now due to living back in the States in a "no wood/charcoal" apartment complex. But when I can, I expect to do the Slow & Sear as well as the Vortex.

I had not thought about a S&S for a Joe though. Hmm ... Interesting!

Old 04-17-2019, 02:20 PM   #7
70monte
is one Smokin' Farker

I have that for my JJ though I don't use my JJ much anymore. It does work well.

Since I have other smokers that I use instead of my kettle, I use the Vortex in my kettle way more than the SnS.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #8
effinUker
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim, Moon

I bought 2 common bricks. Used the rest of the money for steaks. Equal results. YMMV.
effinUker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-17-2019, 04:52 PM   #9
Fishwater2002
Knows what a fatty is.

I tried to order the Vortex mini today but it's out of stock with no ETA. It was just there less than 2 weeks ago.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:03 PM   #10
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by effinUker View Post
I bought 2 common bricks. Used the rest of the money for steaks. Equal results. YMMV.
What spend the money on the bricks? Just bunch up the charcoal to one side....

Whatever works for you... great. Lot of great cooks done before SlowNSear came along..... For me, the SlowNSear works like a charm.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2019, 08:50 PM   #11
Dweverett
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by KClandcruiser View Post
For me the slow and sear gets a lot more use. I find the layout better for most high heat cooks and definitely better for low temp smokes

Old 04-17-2019, 09:12 PM   #12
KenInk
Knows what a fatty is.

Smile

Hi bro,that's looks awesome!This one I will try!

BTW,we are holding a giveaway of BBQ thermometer.
Check the link join us!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=271183
KenInk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2019, 10:09 PM   #13
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Awesome!

I bought my Weber redhead a year ago and ordered the SnS plus the pan. I've never used my kettle without it and I use my kettle at least 2 times during the week and on most weekends. I love it some much that I ordered a Weber 26 inch and by default the SnS XL plus the pan. Kicks up the Weber kettle game a few notches at least. Easy to clean up also and no more gunk on one touch cleaning system.
Vision Kamado PRO
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K), WGA(P) WJJ(CU)
Hunsaker Drum & Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
"THE BLACKSTONE POSSE" Member
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-18-2019, 05:20 AM   #14
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Great looking steaks there OP. I love my S & S and Vortex. Check with Marty Owens at Owens BBQ about the mini Vortex. He is a dealer and usually has their products in stock.
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2019, 07:12 AM   #15
Fishwater2002
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez59 View Post
Great looking steaks there OP. I love my S & S and Vortex. Check with Marty Owens at Owens BBQ about the mini Vortex. He is a dealer and usually has their products in stock.
Owens is the only place that even lists the mini vortex, they are also the ones showing out of stock with no eta. I will keep checking the site, hopefully it is available soon.