MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
tx_hellraiser
Full Fledged Farker

Default lump coal vs kingsford

which one is better to Q with lump vs kingfords britquetts
tx_hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

That question can be better answered based what type of pit/smoker you are planning to use.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
tx_hellraiser
Full Fledged Farker

offset smoker to be exact new braunsful hondo

Old 03-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_hellraiser View Post
which one is better to Q with lump vs kingfords britquetts

Prepare yourself for a million different answers.....

Depends on what you are using it for and how you are cooking. Some guys swear that KBB is the devil in a bag and won't touch the stuff with a 20ft pole. Some don't care. Some like me, only use it for grilling and don't like to use it for doing long smokes.

Lump is widely accepted as a good "natural" source of fuel. Some don't like it because it can be unpredictable temperature wise and the quality of some bags of lump are sub par at best. That's a reason most guys will use uniform, quality briquettes over lump.

Me, I use Stubb's briquettes for the long smokes and use either KBB, Royal Oak lump, or Steakhouse briquettes depending which one I can catch on sale at wally world or Lowes for grilling.

All depends on what you like, there is no real clear, apples/oranges answer to which is better than the other..

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
PalmettoSmoke
On the road to being a farker

I use B&B Lump in my trailer. Burns hot and fairly long. Kingsford doesn't provide the heat needed to get my pit up to temps quickly enough.

[B]Modified[/B] Custom Pits Model A1 Offset Trailer, 18.5" WSM, 22.5" Weber Kettle, UDS Build in Progress
PalmettoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
SauceHitter
Found some matches.

Kingsford is a useful tool. In my offset I use splits, but add some Kingsford to assure I always have a good coal bed.

If using as a main fuel I would use lump. I think it has better smell. I wouldn't hesitate to add some Kingsford as a moderator.
SauceHitter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
Garrett
Babbling Farker

BBQ = No rules. Try, try,try, them all until you find what works best for you and your setup.
Me personally, it depends on what cooker I am using to what fuel I use. I use either Walmart brand briquettes or Stubbs in my UDS and Royal Oak lump in my Stumps Clone. What ever I can get on sale for grilling. There is no one type to use, just what's best for you. Hope that helps!!

Old 03-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
tx_hellraiser
Full Fledged Farker

i am using my kingsford as a bed of coals and using my oak as the source

Old 03-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
jaymo
Full Fledged Farker

I prefer Stubbs for my WSM, but will use other briquettes when necessary. For grilling I've settled into mostly Royal Oak lump, although I'll toss in some Kingsford, RO, or other brand briquettes sometimes as well if I want to keep the grill going longer without re-feeding it.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
BBQ = No rules. Try, try,try, them all until you find what works best for you and your setup.
Me personally, it depends on what cooker I am using to what fuel I use. I use either Walmart brand briquettes or Stubbs in my UDS and Royal Oak lump in my Stumps Clone. What ever I can get on sale for grilling. There is no one type to use, just what's best for you. Hope that helps!!
I Agree here. Been experimenting more and more with lump and really enjoy it. I am very limited by what is sold here also.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Although not KF, i mix lump and briqs.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #12
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Personal preferance.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #13
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 10:34 PM   #14
willieboy
Found some matches.

For the grill or the smoker, lump gives a better taste, longer and hotter burn. I use it build the coal bed in my stick burner and then cook with splits.

Now, for dutch ovens (DO), NOTHING beats the consistency of Kingsford K charcoal. It some of the most consistent stuff in the world. We have tried every brand, from generic to every name, and we always go back to Kingsford K. All briquette charcoal lacks longevity, but for most DO cooking, you only need 2 hours at most (The exception is beans, which obviously need nearly all day). Two rounds of chimney lit Kingsford will get you through a two hour cook on the DO. Everything else, who knows what time you will get, as it almost seems to vary briquette by briquette...

Old 03-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #15
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieboy View Post
For the grill or the smoker, lump gives a better taste, longer and hotter burn.
Although hotter burn I agree with, length of burn is debatable. I think the short burn of lump is what pushes a lot of folks to briquettes. I used RO lump on my old offset and to maintain a decent fire for a 250* cooking temp, I'd go through two bags of lump in a single 6 hour cook. I never fed it splits but did feed it chunks. The couple times I used briquettes instead, I'd go through a bag for the same temp and cook time. Just my experience though..