MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #1
BriGreentea
On the road to being a farker

Default slicing brisket question

I've been watching quite a few videos on brisket slicing on youtube and noticed almost everyone is slicing the flat at in angle opposed to slicing the flat in straight pieces. is the reason being because you will have perfect slices of the flat until you reach the deckle part before the point and then rotate it to cut across the grain on the point?

I've always been cutting the packer in straight pieces all the way including the point. I'm more interested in doing it right and wanting to try some cube and burnt ends also. I noticed a couple videos when then get to the point rotate it 90 degrees and cut in in half. Anyone know why?

Last question what would happen if you took the brisket off the smoker when it's done, cut off the point only, rest the flat and make the point into cubes into a pan for sauced burnt ends? Then when done take out the flat after resting and slice it. Or would that screw up the flat doing that?
Thanks.
BriGreentea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2017, 08:40 AM   #2
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriGreentea View Post
I've been watching quite a few videos on brisket slicing on youtube and noticed almost everyone is slicing the flat at in angle opposed to slicing the flat in straight pieces. is the reason being because you will have perfect slices of the flat until you reach the deckle part before the point and then rotate it to cut across the grain on the point?

I've always been cutting the packer in straight pieces all the way including the point. I'm more interested in doing it right and wanting to try some cube and burnt ends also. I noticed a couple videos when then get to the point rotate it 90 degrees and cut in in half. Anyone know why?

Last question what would happen if you took the brisket off the smoker when it's done, cut off the point only, rest the flat and make the point into cubes into a pan for sauced burnt ends? Then when done take out the flat after resting and slice it. Or would that screw up the flat doing that?
Thanks.
Normally you align your slices so they are against the grain of the flat which often means you are not slicing on the centerline of the flat. Removing the point for burnt ends is standard. Actually I don't slice the point off, I use the back of the knife and just work along the seam and it comes right off.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

You should be slicing brisket against the grain. Tri-tip, too.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=208950

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=138197

The threads above should help.

This is an awesome basic brisket tutorial:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57882

Hope those help.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

Slicing brisket is pretty much the same as slicing fajita meat. Across the grain, whether it's straight across or at a slight angle. 90 degrees to the grain, not the piece of meat
rexster314 is online now   Reply With Quote