Bite through chicken

Duddy55

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have tried many times now but just can't seem to get it down but I'm having a struggle with bite through chicken skin... I have done it without scraping the fat... I have done it with scraping the fat... Without scraping my skin is rubbery... When I scraped it I got a nice crisp skin but can't make a clean bite thru.... Any words of wisdom?

My take - You need to scrape, rub, reattach, cook with moisture, AND have constant 275-300 degree heat for at least 1.75 hours. A stock Off set chargriller, that's some pro firetending to get it.

First make sure you have a good temp gauge since that is a COS and probably loses a lot of heat. Then raise your cooking temperature to 290-325.

If you want fancy comp style use a cake pan and smoke them skin side down in the pan for an hour. Flip and add some stock and then foil, braise another 30 minutes, then rack and sauce set.

I would recommend at least trimming the fat to even thickness. You don't have to scrape but some of these birds have chunky fat areas that you want to even out. A filt knife works best.

Build an UDS, cook at 260-300, or cook indirect on your chargrilled at same temp, it seems to help if the temp is deflected down onto the chicken for me. My Uds has a deflector so most heat comes up around the edges and deflects off the flat lid back down onto the chicken, I also get the same results cooking indirect on my weber kettle and my ole hickory CTO. I may be talking out of my a@@, but I have a 180 pin in chicken, so evidently something worked.

I am also having trouble with my consistency on cooking bite through skin on thighs.:x. I was practicing yesterday, trimmed thighs, scraped skin, rubbed chicken. Tried to keep it simple and focus on the skin. Now I scraped skin, sprayed a little Pam on both sides. I put rub on meat and on top of the skin. Cooked in a pan, on rack, in my WSM @250 2hrs. Skin was not bite through, was pretty though.
So don't try that. Maybe I needed to scrape more skin off? and too low of a temp?
Its so much easier to achieve it on a whole bird and by doing nothing..... I don't get it?

I am also having trouble with my consistency on cooking bite through skin on thighs.:x.

Follow the above advice about scraping, panning with moisture, and higher heat. The other thing I'd mention is that not all chicken skin is created equal. Before I settled on the product I use now, I tried a ton of different brands/types and found that some skins were actually thinner than others and had less fat.

In KCBS is there any issue cooking the chicken in the smoker and then finishing on a high temp grill for a few minutes to crisp up the skin?

In KCBS is there any issue cooking the chicken in the smoker and then finishing on a high temp grill for a few minutes to crisp up the skin?

It is certainly within the rules, the only issue is whether or not the skin is still going to be crispy maybe 15 min. later when the judge bites into it.

Have you tried just putting the thighs in a butter/parkay bath for about 45 minutes uncovered and about 45 minutes covered ?? Cook at about 260-280...

Start with a good piece of meat and then try that and see how your results are...

We do our chicken at 250 (lower temps) with no scraping and get bite through skin. Use a thermometer to check for the skins tenderness before saucing.

Temp doesn't matter. It's the braising that works. Cook it however you want (bath/no bath, oil/no oil, grill or not) but finish by sealing it in a pan with the skin up does the trick. How long it needs to be cooked when sealed depends on the temp you cook at - lower temps take longer. Just make sure it's a tight seal.

Temp doesn't matter. It's the braising that works. Cook it however you want (bath/no bath, oil/no oil, grill or not) but finish by sealing it in a pan with the skin up does the trick. How long it needs to be cooked when sealed depends on the temp you cook at - lower temps take longer. Just make sure it's a tight seal.

I would think this method would make the skin rubbery because of all of the moisture. It doesn't?

Back