Mongo's Glazed Char Siu Pork Tenderloin...

Al Czervik

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
There are a couple fantastic Throwdowns going on right now

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177123

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176324

over in the BBQ Brethren Thowdown Sub-Forum

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86

that I figured would be fun to get in on. If you've never seen, participated or voted on them you are missing out on the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Please stop by and become part of the fun. :becky:

Without further ado, I present a dual entry into both called Mongo's Glazed Char Siu Pork Tenderloin.

First off the following players for the marinade / glaze.

edit_preview.php

A pinch of this, a dash of that, a tablespoon of various goodies and a full blast of you know what and on to the stove it goes to coalesce into a hot gooey marinade / glaze.

edit_preview.php

While the marinade / glaze was cooling I trimmed, cleaned and split two pork tenderloins.

edit_preview.php

Into a bag with about half of the cooled marinade / glaze and off to the fridge to rest for quite a while.

edit_preview.php

After the stars wheeled overhead and every day was as long as the life age of the earth (LOTR mod), I pulled them from the marinade (focus dammit :mad:).

edit_preview.php

From there I tossed them on Traeger for a nice dose of smoke.

edit_preview.php

Once they were about 3/4 done I moved them over to the Performer to apply more glaze and give them a nice char over a bed of Balrog free lump. :loco:

edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

And here we have them resting peacefully once done outside in the 30 degree weather (notice the tiny skiff of snow to the left of the Performer).

edit_preview.php

When it was all said and done, I sliced a couple up and plated them with some Chinese hot mustard, toasted sesame seeds, extra sauce and a bunch of snap peas.

edit_preview.php

Please use the pic below for the money shot.

edit_preview.php

This was my first try at Char Siu pork and overall I was pretty happy with the results. I erred on the side of not overcooking due to the lack of fat in the tenderloin. It certainly was tender and juicy, but not 100% what my taste buds were expecting. Next time I think I'll try a traditional pork butt or sirloin for a little more forgiveness on the cook time as well as a more robust flavor. All that being said, there probably won't be any leftovers by the time the weekend arrives. :hungry:

Thanks for looking and come join us in the Throwdown fun. :becky:

That is def good stuff. Great work and greater presentation.

We used to do pork tenderloin this way a lot. I know exactly what you mean by not quite what you were expecting. The advantage is that it is a very clean cut of meat. Looks like you did a fabulous job. :thumb:

I really like pork tenderloins. They take to marinating very well, cook quick, and have great taste and tenderness - and you're definitely right - you do not want to overcook them.

Those look great and that plate is just beautiful.

Overcooked? Meh. I don't want any...

More. Three servings hit me just right. :becky:

Very nice! If you want an additional flavour bump I'd recommend rose water, or even better - Chinese rose wine

Back