How much baked beans do I need?

silver8ack

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Cooking for 4 people tomorrow. Smoking ribs/beans on my brand new WSM(First smoke).

I'm doing Alton Brown's recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-once-and-future-beans-recipe/index.html

Is 1 lb enough for 4 people that like to eat the above average amount? If not, I'll double it, and that leads to my seconds question... what size tin do I need to hold all that? Never have done beans before.

Thanks!!

Cook Keri C's hog apple beans, which uses tw0 27 oz cans of Bush beans and pray you have some left over for the next day. :biggrin1:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=423407&postcount=9

I would do two pounds of dried beans, although if you had said normal appetites, I would say one pound should serve 4 people nicely, In fact, change that, do one pound, they will fill up on ribs anyways.

You can get the one pound of fully hydrated and cooked beans into a deep square aluminum pan just fine. A deeper pan is better, is will dry less.

You can often find a pan along these lines at the supermarket, roughly 6x8 and 3 to 4 inches deep.
yhst-97852240633491_2251_242883083

I would do two pounds of dried beans, although if you had said normal appetites, I would say one pound should serve 4 people nicely, In fact, change that, do one pound, they will fill up on ribs anyways.

^ Good info....

Besides any leftovers are great the next day as well...

Check Wampus Award Winning Bake Beans I have not found ANYONE who did not love them. What ever you make it will be good

Thanks for all the help. I jusst decided to do the one pound. My wife is making some more 'regular' baked beans on the stove in case these are too hot for our guests(and kids). So we'll have plenty of beans. Hopefully the stove top beans aren't better!

Can't wait to start smoking these babies tomorrow! I'm running the WSM empty today just to play around with it. It's pretty windy today, but it's good practice. Should be similar conditions tomorrow but a bit less windy.

Beans and Ribs... I suppose I should throw in some slaw or something for a 'vegetable'. I'll let ya know how it goes!

One pound should be plenty for 4 people. The serving size on the lb bag usually says 12 or 13 servings. They will double in size at least after soaked

very good, i wouldve suggested two pounds. leftovers ain't bad. hungry guests are. ;)

Back