MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John
Default Anyone Using a Thermoworks TW8060 with a Kamado??

I love my Maverick thermometers but I'm not very impressed with the life of the temperature probes. My ET-85's second probe has failed and my ET-732 food probe has failed after about 15 uses. The warranty is only 90 days so I'm out of luck on a free replacement on the 732. I'm ready to buy a reliable thermometer system.

I'm planning to buy a TW8060 (either the TW8060 Kit or the TW8060 New High Temp Kit from that page)

I'm specifically looking for someone who might be using the second of those two with the armored smokehouse penetration probe on a Kamado grill... If anyone has this setup, do you have any issues running the thicker probe wire under the dome lid of the grill?

Old 07-09-2013, 01:06 AM   #2
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

That's too bad the Mavericks aren't holding up for you. The work well under my KJ dome and being put through tight grommets in my YS640.

I know the thermocouples in those are a much higher grate than the probes of the Maverick. I haven't used them but I've heard of them to be much more reliable, accurate and durable. I'm not sure you could do better than ThermoWorks for the money.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
T-Man
is one Smokin' Farker

I have one with the non armored probes . works great , a good product ...

Old 07-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
Crimson
Knows what a fatty is.

The only thing is the maverick will works in lower temps the TW8060 screen slowed down and stopped working but yes it was at 10 degrees and the unit would not work after that was replaced so now I know. And no wireless. But otherwise good unit.
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucornhusker View Post
That's too bad the Mavericks aren't holding up for you. The work well under my KJ dome and being put through tight grommets in my YS640.

I know the thermocouples in those are a much higher grate than the probes of the Maverick. I haven't used them but I've heard of them to be much more reliable, accurate and durable. I'm not sure you could do better than ThermoWorks for the money.
I love the Mavericks but I'm not happy with the probe life. The probe on the ET-85 has held up a lot better than the ones on the ET-732. I'm disappointed that the food probe has failed on the 732 with minimal use (15 or so uses.) I can replace it for about $20 but if I'm going to have to do that twice a year or more then it would make sense for me to get a higher quality setup.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
The only thing is the maverick will works in lower temps the TW8060 screen slowed down and stopped working but yes it was at 10 degrees and the unit would not work after that was replaced so now I know. And no wireless. But otherwise good unit.
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying...

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
Crimson
Knows what a fatty is.

The first time I used the 1080 at 10 degrees noticed the screen was slowing down and not working right the next time I started it the temp was way off at room temp and shorting the connector with a wire did not give me room temp
so the 1080 was bad was it do to the cold don't know I just use the 732
when its cold and has the wireless capability.
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote