MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

Default BGE Alternative

I want a great big BGE, but just can't afford it. I have a UDS that I made, but I want something better. What are your suggestions for something in between? Bubba Keg Cooker? Do they work as well as the ceramic ones? Close? Is there a discount ceramic cooker? They had some at Sam's for awhile, but I haven't seen one in a couple of seasons. Looking for suggestions. Thanks! B
UDS
Blutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
KingofTheCoals
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Captain Smoke

Char-Griller AKORN. $299 at lowes. Double walled, insulated kamado style cooker. No mods needed, smokes at 250-275, can sear and bake upto 700. Love mine, its really efficient. Put 4lbs of lump in, and can smoke 12-14hrs at 250-275.
KingofTheCoals is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

Bubba Keg (Now Broil King Big Steel Keg) is a very good cooker. Even more frugal on fuel than the BGE according to a friend who has both. The price has increased considerably, though they're still $200 or so less than a BGE. Kamado Joe is similarly priced. The Vision Kamado is ceramic... Doesn't seem to be quite the quality of the BGE or the KJ but I have not inspected one closely. There are Vision owners on this forum who might respond. The Acorn is less than half the price of a BGE and has many fans... It's not the same build quality but, for the price, it can't be beaten.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
Birdie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofTheCoals View Post
Char-Griller AKORN. $299 at lowes. Double walled, insulated kamado style cooker. No mods needed, smokes at 250-275, can sear and bake upto 700. Love mine, its really efficient. Put 4lbs of lump in, and can smoke 12-14hrs at 250-275.
Second this suggestion, it's done everything I wanted from smoking, grilling and pizza.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Old 12-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
RW
Full Fledged Farker

Ditto the Akorn.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Weber Performer / 18.5 WSM / mini WSM / Primo XL / #14 Old Smokey / Weber Jumbo Joe
RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
Beerbecue
Full Fledged Farker

Another vote here for the excellent Chargriller Akorn. I've used it a lot for nearly 11 months now and have had no negative issues. It is loaded with features and is a fantastic bargain.
Beerbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
RAZORBACK JIM
Full Fledged Farker

I just don't think you can beat a Bubba Keg!!!!!!
WEBER PERFORMER
WEBER SMOKEY JOE
SMOKINTEX PRO 1400 (2)
BBQ GURU
[COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR][COLOR=black] THERAPEN[/COLOR]
PIT-MASTER IQ 110
RAZORBACK JIM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

I saw the Akorn at Lowes and wondered if it was any good. Nice to hear it works well. I wish it were bigger, but for $300 it is a bargain. I might get one tomorrow.. I have two butts to cook and was thinking of doing the turkey on the smoker on Tuesday. Thanks! B
UDS

Old 12-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
KingofTheCoals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutch View Post
I saw the Akorn at Lowes and wondered if it was any good. Nice to hear it works well. I wish it were bigger, but for $300 it is a bargain. I might get one tomorrow.. I have two butts to cook and was thinking of doing the turkey on the smoker on Tuesday. Thanks! B
If you get a Kamado style grill/smoker. Check out this site http://kamadoguru.com/index.php

Not as busy as here but it is definitely full of Akorn / BGE / Kamado Joe / Bubba Keg users.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
Bluebird
is one Smokin' Farker

I really like my Akorn.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have a Bubba Keg. My son used it today to smoke his first brisket during a wind advisory with gusts of up to 57mph, and a wind chill factor of 24*F. It held rock steady for a hot 'n fast cook at 325* for 5 hours. Miserly on lump, with plenty left over for the next cook. If money were no object, I'd get another Keg. If money was a consideration, I'd go with the Akorn. Can't beat it for the price.
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I suppose if you have your heart set on a Kamado style cooker and the Big Green Egg isn't in your budget, then all of the above mentioned pits should do you fine.

But if I may suggest a 22" Weber Gold or Performer then get a Cajun Bandit Kettle conversion with a Rotisserie Bundle kit AND a Rib-O-Lator you will be set till the next doomsday prophecy!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #13
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Count me as another very happy keg owner.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #14
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

Ok.. let me throw a wrench in the works.. the Akorn and the Weber Smokey Mountain is the same price. I can get one at our local Bass Pro.

Pros and Cons?

Thanks for all the opinions!

B
UDS

Old 12-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #15
KingofTheCoals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutch View Post
Ok.. let me throw a wrench in the works.. the Akorn and the Weber Smokey Mountain is the same price. I can get one at our local Bass Pro.

Pros and Cons?

Thanks for all the opinions!

B
Two different animals. WSM=smoker and does it very well. Akorn= Smoker (250-275) and kamado grill (700) ideal for pizzas. Tough call. I was in your shoes last May. I chose Akorn for versatility. Good news is, you can't go wrong. Both are great!