MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #1
sfrancis353
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Mak 1 vs RecTec vs Yoder YS640

Did my first competition this weekend on a few UDS's and a weber kettle. The team is completely hooked, but I'm thinking I want to upgrade and get a pellet smoker. I'm still going to take the UDS and the kettle (or perhaps my BGE). Problem is, I'm stuck between what seems like three quality products and want the input of the brethren.

From what I see each of these have their plusses and minuses.

The Rectec is the least expensive, has a big cooking area, but not all the bells and whistles. It is the thinnest metal wise of the three, but everyone that has used one seems to rave about it.

The Mak 1 has one of the best controllers and can have up to 3 integrated meat probes. You basically have to buy the second rack however because the cooking area isn't huge. It seems like the whole thing is high grade stainless and rust won't be an issue.

The Yoder is a beast, has a good cooking surface, and can have a second shelf also. It doesn't seem to have all the technological advances of the Mak 1, but seems to be a complete tank and a work horse.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of these, but what I don't want to do is buy one and then wish I got something else. I'd like this to be the only pellet smoker I get. I plan on using it for backyard and competition. Any advice is most welcome and thanks in advance.
sfrancis353 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2015, 08:14 AM   #2
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I don't know what your budget is, but Pekingporker is selling his yoder ys1500 here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=220022

It would end up being more than the YS640, but they are awesome smokers and if I had the money for it, I would have already bought it.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-23-2015, 08:35 AM   #3
Al_T
On the road to being a farker

I was in your position about a year ago and considering all you listed plus a couple of others. For me it came down to one basic thing. Which one put out the most clean smoke. I really believe that the way the Yoder burn pot is designed it makes more smoke than the others. At 300 degrees it is still making plenty of clean blue smoke. It will have a little more temperature fluctuation but I think it really mimics the way a stick burner works without the hassle of tending the fire.

I came from a stick burner and wanted at pellet smoker because I just don't have the time anymore to tend a fire all day and night. I can say that the food that comes of my Yoder is as good as what came off by stick burner without all the fire tending. I actually think that constantly it makes the best ribs I have ever made on anything. I would buy another in a heart beat if I ever lost this one.

Good Luck

Al
Al_T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #4
Okie Sawbones
Banned

And throw in the FEC PG500 to the mix.
Cooking BBQ since 1971, seriously cooking BBQ since 1996, when I read Smoke and Spice.
Okie Sawbones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

If you really want to complicate things, the St. Louis BBQ Store (another brethren vendor) is having a serious black friday sale on the Green Mountain grills, I haven't seen any negative reviews on that one.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #6
sfrancis353
Knows what a fatty is.

Yeah I was thinking on waiting until Black Friday before I purchased anything. The wifi capabilities of the Green Mountain at its price point is very tempting.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:27 PM   #7
sknabnoj
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

I'd seriously check out Blaz'n Grillworks. They put out an amazing product, great controllers and a lot of the bell's and whistles you are talking about come standard. They are more expensive than the Rec Tec's but not quite as spendy as a Yoder. I think it's the best bang for your buck out there.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:53 PM   #8
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Why do you want to compete with a pellet pooper?

Old 11-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #9
Hog1990
Full Fledged Farker

Used: Yoder - All Three models, 480,640,1500 | Mak 1 | Blaz'n Grills | FEC Line | GMG DB and DC (Wireless) | Firecraft (Currently using)

Have not used: Memphis, Rec Tec, Traeger, Smoke Hollow, Royall, Louisiana, Smoke Boss, Smokin Brothers...

Though I have not used the PG line from Cookshack, their 5 Series Controller is the best controller in a pellet grill/oven/smoker that I have used. Hands down. If the PG line is similar, then that is a great option.

Of the others I have used this is how I would rank the controller which is a huge consideration in these grills/smokers:

1. FEC by Cookshack
2. Blaz'n Grills
3. Firecraft
The controller in the Blaz'n and Firecraft Grills is the same controller that is used in the Memphis grills. This unit is rock solid.
4. Mak 1
5. Yoder 480
6. GMG DC
7. Yoder 1500
8. GMG DB
9. Yoder 640

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 11-23-2015, 03:04 PM   #10
Leftwngr
is one Smokin' Farker

The Rec Tec controller is a Roanoke controller as well (same as Memphis, Blaz'n and Firecraft). I have one and it's solid.

It's a good unit. It isn't perfect, but nothing is. Certainly holds its own in terms of quality and construction. Not a cheap unit by any means.

I personally like to have my temperatures monitored separate from the controller, so that doesn't bother me.

If you're going to use it for competition though, you should know that it is a really top heavy unit, so moving it around can be precarious at times. It isn't a 1000 lb monster, but it still tips the scales near 250 lbs or so. With pellets, it is getting near 300. You don't want to have to catch it because it is tipping over. It's fine standing still, but rolling it around is interesting.

Pucks not politics
Leftwngr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2015, 04:47 PM   #11
qman
Babbling Farker

Hog1990; curious why the Yoder 640 is DAl on your list?
OP; I just purchased a Yoder 640 with the comp cart. I would thing the mobility issue would be important for comp. Certainly makes moving it around in the back yard easy.
As someone above said, the Yoder produces great clean smoke.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #12
HuskerMan
Full Fledged Farker

I have had the 640 for awhile now. It came down to that or the rec tec. I have been very happy with my purchase with no regrets. That being said I have heard great things about the other two also.
HuskerMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2015, 06:41 PM   #13
sfrancis353
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the 411 on Blaz'n Grillworks. I honestly hadn't heard of them. I did my initial research on AmazingRibs and because there is no real pricing on their website I didn't have a good frame of reference. Did a little more research and they definitely are in the running. Love how much they include in their "standard" package. Will have to give them a call and see if I can't get some holiday pricing.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:00 PM   #14
Okie Sawbones
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknabnoj View Post
I'd seriously check out Blaz'n Grillworks. They put out an amazing product, great controllers and a lot of the bell's and whistles you are talking about come standard. They are more expensive than the Rec Tec's but not quite as spendy as a Yoder. I think it's the best bang for your buck out there.
Damn yer mangey hide! Now I have yet another one to consider. I'm wanting to add a pooper to my collection of smokers/grills.
Cooking BBQ since 1971, seriously cooking BBQ since 1996, when I read Smoke and Spice.
Okie Sawbones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2015, 07:42 PM   #15
Burnt to a T
Full Fledged Farker

Just so you guys know Blaz'n has a new Grid Iron setup. It has almost 2200 sq inches of cook space, and has 3 pull out shelves plus the lower grill grate. Two full 540 sq in, and one 3/4 375 sq in. They are spaced about 21/4" apart. I have pictures, but Tim doesn't want me to post them or give out the price or I would. Give him a call, and I'm sure he will let you in on it, but I have to respect what he asked of me. I forgot to mention thier web site is not very good so call them for info.
Burnt to a T is offline   Reply With Quote