This Weekend - PP, HOH, UDS, Sliders

pinkelephant

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I went to Sam's to buy something for the UDS and forgot they do everything supersize!! I got two butts totalling 15.66 lbs.
I plan on droppin them in one of the UDS's tonight. then, sticking a maverick 732 probe in one and going to sleep. I covered them in mustard, then rubbed in a pound of Big Ron's HOH and they are chillin in the fridge.

For lunch today, I will make my first sliders. I have a mini burger press and some kings hawaiian buns.

00.jpg

Can't wait! I love Big Ron's sauce and his chili mix.
Can't beat the King's Hawaiian buns for sliders either! You should try making some with ground lamb sometime. Oh, and Redhot answered your pizza question.

I wanted to test the grill features of my UDS's so I started out Sat morning cooking a few chicken legs for my wife's lunch at work. I used 50/50 kingsford/mesquite chunks

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Then, I moved the rack down a notch and made Sliders

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

the UDS kicked arse! the temps were predictable and controllable. they just replaced my Weber and my Old Smokey. I have the parts to cut a drum in half and make an Ugly Drum Kettle but now, I will just make another UDS. The sliders replaced my usual burgers too. I used Kings Hawaiian rolls.

Very nice work!! Looking forward to seeing the process of making the PP. Did you take pics of the slather and my most favorite shot is the one of the fresh rub on the meat. I don't know why but to me that is the meat in its pristine shape. Although the pics of the meat coming off the cooker done perfectly is another in the perfect pristine look.

Then it was time for CI Pizza!!

I bought the stuff at wally world and folded the dough, then spent 20 mins figuring out how to flatten it again. I picked the best CI from my collection for the job. put on red sauce, sliced provalone, shrooms, tomato, onion, sliced serranos from garden and shredded provalone.
I cranked up the smoker to 450 and slapped the pizza on the top rack. it took about 30 minutes to cook and it came out GREAT!! I'm not buying any more Digorno's anymore! The bottom was just as cooked as the top. I will cook it about 10 minutes more next time to crisp it up.

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

Very nice work!! Looking forward to seeing the process of making the PP. Did you take pics of the slather and my most favorite shot is the one of the fresh rub on the meat. I don't know why but to me that is the meat in its pristine shape. Although the pics of the meat coming off the cooker done perfectly is another in the perfect pristine look.

"Big Ron's, Hint of Houston" RO (Made in USA, red bag) charcoal and mesquite are all that touched the butts :)
Still editing those pics

There is something wonderful happening in IL today and it is at your house. Could you email me a few slices of that pie and some pp later please...lol.....maybe slide a couple of those little baby burgers in there too since they are small you know....:hungry:

Shipping shouldn't be too bad.....:-D

I never thought of pizza on the UDS. Great job!

And now for the grand finale!

15.66 pounds of butt!
252-257 for 10 hours.

just before I went to sleep, I peeked at the butts. about 3 hours in the smoker. I just peeked and closed the valve a little

31.jpg

32.jpg

then at 10 hours, my maverick alarm clock told me to get up (set for 195F)
33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

these scrapings were breakfast!!!!!
39.jpg

40.jpg

I put everything in the cooler, ate the scrapings and went back to sleep.
When I got up, I woke up to this:
the smoke ring was killer!! it was awesome!!
41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

Oh man! You just made my day. That is some beautiful work done right there. (All the while I am eating bread with mozzarella and pepperoni toasted in the toaster oven...l0l)

I am totally jealous! This cannot be the first butt you have cooked. That is a work of art there!

Oh man! You just made my day. That is some beautiful work done right there. (All the while I am eating bread with mozzarella and pepperoni toasted in the toaster oven...l0l)

I am totally jealous! This cannot be the first butt you have cooked. That is a work of art there!

Nope, my 2nd. I had temp problems on the 1st one from the diffuser. I removed the diffuser and all is good now.

Looks darn good even if it is only the 2nd time. I bet it tasted just as good as it looks maybe better with the Big Rons.

Looks darn good even if it is only the 2nd time. I bet it tasted just as good as it looks maybe better with the Big Rons.
THX, Big Ron is an awesome guy. He's helped me a lot

Great pron! And happy to see you tried pizza on the CI, looks like it turned out great!:thumb:

Lodge makes a 14" CI pizza pan. with 2 pizzas per UDS on 3 UDS's, I should be able to cook them faster than I can make them

Great cook Allen! Will steal those pics for my website page 4 of "Satisfied Customers" (if you don't mind)

Back