• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mini Wsm questions

Trumpstylz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm about to start my mini build and the more I look into it, the more questions I have.

For those of you that didn't buy the cajun bandit hardware, what did you use for the grommet? I saw on a website where a lighting fixture nipple was used, but I don't know if the et 732 will fit.

I also see a lot of people had the stainless bolts going from the inside out, but the hex nut and lock washer were on the inside. Can someone explain this to me? I understand putting the bolt on the inside for extra security with the grate, but since my grate barely fits in the pot, I would think that just the bolt on the inside would work fine.

Bolts- 1/2 inch length or 3/4?

Does the positioning of the bolts (for the top grate) matter in regards to the little bolt heads that are holding the handle on?

The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board has a forum on just mini WSM's

I used 1/8" brass lamp nipples, 1/2" long. Any longer and the meat probes won't go through.

1/2" stainless bolts, nut and washer on the inside.

I used the silver and put 3 dampers in the bottom just like the wsm and keep the factory bottom vent closed.

For a charcoal ring I ordered a stainless, bottomless cake pan and drilled the sides so it is just like the wsm. I also pushed the bottom grate all the way to the bottom of the Vasconia pot. It will go, just takes a little persuasion.

I used 1/8" brass lamp nipples, 1/2" long. Any longer and the meat probes won't go through.

So the et 732 did fit through the 1/8? I went to Ace and they sell the pieces individually but the smallest is a one inch long piece (I'll just have to cut it in half). Sure beats paying the full 3$ for the pack of threaded nipples and another 2$ for the washers and hex nut when I only need to use one of the ten pieces included.

I used ordinary grommets. They work fine.

DSC_1614-PP.JPG

DSC_1617-PP.JPG

I did not figure out until the first cook that both probes (from an ET-732) will fit through one hole. :doh:

I think I used 1/2" 1/4-20 bolts to support the upper rack. the lower rack is supported by the top edge of the angle braces I put in to support a water bowl.

Install your bottom grate and measure the distance to the lid. Divide that in half to locate the upper grate (unless you plan to leave either upper or lower bigger.)

I found a tin can just big enough to cover the bottom vent and cut it just short enough to fit under the charcoal grate. Then I used a can opener to make holes near the top.

DSC_3638-PP.JPG

It's a great little cooker!

Wow, that is WAY fancier than I got on my mini-WSM. Mine runs 250 constant, until it runs out of fuel. Period. I just go with it.

I used an SJG for my base, so the ash diverting can thingy isn't needed.

To hold up my grates, I just used some self-tapping screws, from outside in. That's what i had on hand, it it works.

Don't over-think it.

CD

Wow, that is WAY fancier than I got on my mini-WSM. Mine runs 250 constant, until it runs out of fuel. Period. I just go with it.

I used an SJG for my base, so the ash diverting can thingy isn't needed.

To hold up my grates, I just used some self-tapping screws, from outside in. That's what i had on hand, it it works.

Don't over-think it.

CD
:thumb:Yep K.I.S.S

Don't over-think it.

CD

I couldn't agree more. I just drilled a hole in the side of my tamale pot midway between the grates. I think it's about 1/8". It'll let both probes go through (one at a time, the thick parts obviously won't both fit at the same time, but I just put one in, then the other), and there has been no problem with chafing the wires. As for grate height, I eyeballed it at a height I guessed would allow a pork butt to fit under the lid. Worked out fine, as I've had 2 9lb butts on there with no problem. It was tight, but it worked.
Just build it and start using it!!

So the et 732 did fit through the 1/8? I went to Ace and they sell the pieces individually but the smallest is a one inch long piece (I'll just have to cut it in half). Sure beats paying the full 3$ for the pack of threaded nipples and another 2$ for the washers and hex nut when I only need to use one of the ten pieces included.

Got mine at a Westlakes Hardware. They have drawers with individual nipples. The nuts come in a package of about 8, caps 2 to a package.

Back