BBQ Ethics

arianimal

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Long time lurker here, first time poster. Also, a self-identified meatetarian who discovered the magical world of smokin' meats after building a [now-retired] UDS with my father five years ago. Just snagged an 18.5" WSM to help support the addiction.

Everything's awesome except for a nagging realization that buying meat is at least ethically questionable, if not downright wrong. I won't list the reasons and evidence here, because it's not my intention to inspire a debate. I'm posting to ask for thoughtful advice.

Those of you who've explored these issues for yourselves, how have you moved forward? How do you justify your support of the factory farming industry?

I don't think buying meat is ethically questionable at all.
I can't raise my own beef, pork and chicken.
I'm a shop teacher, not a substainance homesteader and it's not 1850.
I fish, I hunt and I eat everything I harvest.
If I could hunt every piece of meat I feed my family, I would.
Simply not feasible in this day and age.
But, if TSHTF, I'm not gonna starve.

A self proclaimed "meaterarian" saying that buying meat is "downright wrong". Bwhahahaha!! I suspect you're more of a member of PETA than anything else.

Simply put, I try not to think about it. Let yourself think too much about everything that's wrong in the world and you'll go mad. For example, think about this the next time you flush the toilet: that's more clean water than many people in the world ever get to see in a week.
There's only so much you can do by yourself about all the wrong things in the world, and at a certain point, pragmatism will take priority over idealism.

The way I look at is cows, pigs, chickens, etc produce a lot more food than a tomato plant or cabbage patch. Without factory farming you can expect famine to skyrocket because there isn't enough soil or greenhouses for everyone to go vegan. I'm ok with factory farming as long as the animals are raised and processed humanely. I mean they are giving their life to sustain ours.

Seems like an odd post for a first post but I get where your coming from.

Here’s the conclusion I came to. There is no way to eat without blood on your hands so to speak. Nope! Not even vegans are bloodless, there are THOUSANDS of animals killed every year protecting the soy beans that become their precious tofu or tofurkey or whatever else they consume while thinking they’ve caused no harm. So I unabashedly eat meat but before I do anything, while the meat is still in the package, I thank the animal for it’s life and for giving it’s life to pass energy on to myself and my family.

As a Sportsman, I've harvested 1000's of fish, frogs, and meat from the woods. No waste. I consume what I harvest as my ancestors taught me to do.

Never had any problem with mass consumer production of beef critter, pork, fish etc. Can you imagine what this world would be without these blessings?

I do have a problem with powered Rhino Horn, Shark Fin Soup, Ivory Tusks, and Gorilla Hands etc.

I never take anything for granted anymore.

Seems like an odd post for a first post but I get where your coming from.

Here’s the conclusion I came to. There is no way to eat without blood on your hands so to speak. Nope! Not even vegans are bloodless, there are THOUSANDS of animals killed every year protecting the soy beans that become their precious tofu or tofurkey or whatever else they consume while thinking they’ve caused no harm. So I unabashedly eat meat but before I do anything, while the meat is still in the package, I thank the animal for it’s life and for giving it’s life to pass energy on to myself and my family.

This is why I love you. :becky: Not in that way.:tsk::tsk:

Well said.

Ask yourself what is more ethical, factory farmed meat, or letting half the worlds population starve to death? Personally, I have no problems with the way most meat is produced. Not everyone is like the people showcased on 60 minutes.

You too Josh!

How do you justify your support of the factory farming industry?

By Eating lbs n lbs of Smoked Brisket and Big Juicy Steaks. Plates Full of Smoked Ribs, Sliced Smoked Fatties on English Muffins, Chopped Pork Sammiches, Chicken Fried Deer Parts`smothered in gravy, Piles of Smoked Ham with mashed Taters then
Reclining back in my Easy Chair , Rubbing My Big Full Belly while Drinking an Angry Orchard.........

That's How I Do It. :heh:

Last edited:
If we didn't eat meat, or eat animal products, I believe that man would eventually eradicate some species because they would consider them to be invasive pests that destroy gardens and create safety issues with burrows and dens that children could fall into.

Essentially man would have no use for the animals and over time, they might cease to exist.

We raise em, we kill em, we eat em. **** em.

At least we kill them first. Lots of species would eat you while your heart still beat in your chest - and without a second thought.

Vegans support the Factory Farming Machine too - where you think all the Vegetables n Fruits come from.?

Last edited:
What WILL they do when it is discovered that plants are sentient? :twisted:

Also by reviewing the Yellow Tags and the bottom of the Receipts where it says “ You Saved $xx.xx”

d847b7731ee9c0d88792e7e6a0fb5cd5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What WILL they do when it is discovered that plants are sentient? :twisted:

And the angel of the lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber.
And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself.
And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own Midwest.
And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil.
One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear. And terror possessed me then

And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?"

And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots!
You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust.

Back