MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #1
Tinybud
Take a breath!

Default Green mountain or grilla grill

Looking to add a pellet grill/smoker to use for small parties. Came across I good buy on a green mountain grill Jim Bowie WiFi (choice). Like the size, good ratings on customer service, mail reviews on quality more positive than negative. Also looked into the grilla grill silverbac. Not as much room as the Jim Bowie. Both have good and bad reviews. Both have very positive customer service remarks. Looking for thoughts and opinions from users of both. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance
6ft. Southern Yankee
Meadow Creek Caterer's Delight 108
Caldera Tallboy
Tinybud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2019, 05:46 PM   #2
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Can’t speak about the grilla but I have nothing but good things to say about our GMG! Talked to customer service twice in the beginning and both times were very pleasant!

The only would coulda shoulda I have is I have kicked meself a hundred times for not getting wifi... 100% get the wifi

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2019, 05:50 PM   #3
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

I’ve never used a grilla before but I’ve used a GMG. Loved my GMG especially the WiFi. However I think the grilla is a better built unit with the insulation of the firebox and stainless critical components. I’d probably go grilla

Old 03-17-2019, 09:05 PM   #4
Woody1911a1
Full Fledged Farker

GMG all the way . 7 yrs and counting on a GMG DB :)
Woody1911a1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2019, 10:25 PM   #5
stljay
On the road to being a farker

I have a GMG DB. I just saw the new GMG Prime models and I do not believe you will find a better sub $1000 pellet grill on the market. The sliding heat shield, vacuum ash clean out and two probes are really nice new features. Plus GMG has one of the most refined WiFi systems out on the market. I'm sure Grilla is a nice grill but GMG really stepped it up with their new Prime models and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a pellet grill.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:10 AM   #6
SmittyJonz

Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro.......

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-18-2019, 08:42 AM   #7
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Grilla Grills make a solid product and they just came out with a new PID system they're calling "Alpha Smoke." It allows you to operate with the PID controlling the cooker, or without it. Grilla Grills goes by the slogan "trust the swing" and this means trust the small temperature swing to provide better smoke flavor from the pellets.

Their customer service is top notch and well recorded on a Facebook group called "My Grilla Grills Smoker." Mark Graham who is the lead engineer and rep for the Grilla Grills smokers is a nice guy and he's pretty intelligent. They have made small changes over the last couple of years which have addressed some minor issues with grills.

https://youtu.be/6FzUwsx5kqE

Pretty cool setup overall. I've never been around a GMG so I can't comment there, but definitely feel like Grilla Grills is at least worth a look.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #8
Wazzufan88
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Todd

I have a 6 yr old GMG Jim Bowie. When mine dies, I will be looking at the Grilla line of smokers. The GMG has done me right over the years but the Grilla lineup is very intriguing. I have upgraded my GMG to the wifi board a few years back and it was a big waste of money. The wifi has been very finicky and I rarely use it.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:25 AM   #9
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

Love my GMG Daniel Boone; wouldn't hesitate to recommend GMG. I've also seen the Silverbac in action and tasted food cooked on it; I was impressed. I think you will be happy either way you go.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #10
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
Can’t speak about the grilla but I have nothing but good things to say about our GMG! Talked to customer service twice in the beginning and both times were very pleasant!

The only would coulda shoulda I have is I have kicked meself a hundred times for not getting wifi... 100% get the wifi
Exactly my thoughts except I have wifi and never use it, so i can't say I'd recommend that or not. I'm just always close to the grill, so never really bother. I also use an external thermometer (Thermoworks Smoke) and usually cook at one temp the whole time.

GMG customer service is second to none. Almost two years on my Daniel Boone and the only issue was a warped fire pot cover and they replaced it no questions asked.

If going GMG, I would recommend the thermal cover for the winter and using some fireblack seal around the lid. My GMG can go forever on a full hopper. Again tho, no real experience with others.

I'm sure either one you'll be happy with!

Old 03-18-2019, 12:58 PM   #11
JWFokker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Anon

Grilla grills are nothing special, Z Grills sells the same units for less. Green Mountain isn't necessarily a better grill but they are aggressively priced and have some unique designs. Either will cook about as well as the other.
JWFokker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2019, 04:35 PM   #12
4ever3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro7 View Post
Exactly my thoughts except I have wifi and never use it, so i can't say I'd recommend that or not. I'm just always close to the grill, so never really bother.

For real?

We will start it and go back in and start or continue prep and one of us is running out to check if it’s reached 150° or not so we can raise temps. We keep think we could just watch the app then raise the temps. That being said, maybe if we’d bought the wifi we’d be asking “why did we buy the wifi?”

The grass is always greener dontcha know?

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #13
gtsum
Babbling Farker

I really like the look of the Grilla Chimp...Moro’s than my GMG DC I have. I might sell it and order the Chimp for the camper

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #14
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
For real?

We will start it and go back in and start or continue prep and one of us is running out to check if it’s reached 150° or not so we can raise temps. We keep think we could just watch the app then raise the temps. That being said, maybe if we’d bought the wifi we’d be asking “why did we buy the wifi?”

The grass is always greener dontcha know?
Yup. I mean, it's definitely cool. I guess I just don't need the app enough during a cook to care to use the app, if that makes sense.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #15
bishoff_02
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Love my gmg daniel boone with wifi. Customer service has been top notch and for the price point, you get a really good bang for your buck.
bishoff_02 is offline   Reply With Quote