• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

MAK 2 Star vs Pitts 850

Sthomasson72

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade from a GM DB. Have narrowed it down to those two smokers. Looking for recommendations. Thanks

My opinion... if you want purely a smoker I think either are top notch. If you want to grill also, I think the MAK 2 Star will run circles around the PS.

Last edited:
Plus check out the new upgrades to this years MAK.
Here’s a list of what’s new on the 2019 MAK 2 Star:
-Roaming thermocouple.
-Increased cooking capacity with 2 extra slide-in grates (great for things like jerky).
**this is the only thing that will not be retrofittable because of all the additional hardware that would be required.
-K-style meat probes.
-Updated firmware version for the Pellet Boss controller.
-Heat governor set from 500* to 600*.
-Updated controller and firmware.
-Grease overflow port.
-Changed a few design issues to make it easier to clean.

Looking to upgrade from a GM DB. Have narrowed it down to those two smokers. Looking for recommendations. Thanks
Just bought a 1250. I agree with rwalters....depends on what you want to do. Can honestly say the PS is built like a tank with excellent temp control.

Pitts and Spitts Maverick 1250, Weber Genesis

We own MAK 2 star and have owned and cooked on GMG grills. I have trashed the MAK and it keeps working all the time. It is one of the Original Production run and I can honestly say I can see using it for another 10 years. The support is unbelievable. I have noticed when cooking at the same higher temps 325-400 that the MAK cooks quicker then our Jim Bowie.my theory is the MAK has better convection flow. We would buy a MAK again.

I can’t speak to the PS, but my Mak 1 Star is a beast. Great smoke, great build quality, and you never have to worry about rust. I have read about people complaining of their PS rusting after a short time, but I can’t verify it since I don’t own one.

We own MAK 2 star and have owned and cooked on GMG grills. I have trashed the MAK and it keeps working all the time. It is one of the Original Production run and I can honestly say I can see using it for another 10 years. The support is unbelievable. I have noticed when cooking at the same higher temps 325-400 that the MAK cooks quicker then our Jim Bowie.my theory is the MAK has better convection flow. We would buy a MAK again.

I think it’s because there is a constant fan speed vs a fan that simply goes on and off. Ive had a GMG grill too and the fan would kick off for a while and then start back up. I think constant and even airflow is essential for the best convection cooking. I love my Mak too.

Back