MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #16
Dmakkk
Take a breath!

^^^^^ +1

I could not agree more.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #17
Smoking Cajun
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWFokker View Post
Grilla grills are nothing special, Z Grills sells the same units for less. Green Mountain isn't necessarily a better grill but they are aggressively priced and have some unique designs. Either will cook about as well as the other.
I think the grilla silverback has better internal components, like stainless steel grates and firepot. The new controller is not available on the Z Grill. I am not sure about Z-Grills customer service.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #18
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Personally, I would much rather have quality of build over bells and whistles. That said, I would choose Grilla Grills. That’s just me though :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2019, 10:03 PM   #19
JWFokker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Anon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Cajun View Post
I think the grilla silverback has better internal components, like stainless steel grates and firepot. The new controller is not available on the Z Grill. I am not sure about Z-Grills customer service.
No doubt the Silverbac has a few nice features, but it is essentially the same grill, made in the same factory. Basically the deluxe model. I'd go GMG or Pit Boss before Grilla/Z Grills.
JWFokker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2019, 06:24 AM   #20
kynmo2010
On the road to being a farker

I was in your same position last Fall and it came done to a GMG or Grilla. I ended up getting the Grilla Grill Siverbac and have no regrets. To find out more about their customer service spend a little time on the on the My Grilla Grill Smoker Facebook page.
kynmo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2019, 12:50 PM   #21
dealgagrill
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Ronnie

I've owned my GMG Daniel Boone for a year. The only issue is the igniter went out, but customer service promptly sent a replacement. I am satisfied with GMG and would buy it again due to price point and quality. However, I was upset that the same grill I bought for $500 was marked down to $399 on Black Friday.
dealgagrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2019, 09:29 PM   #22
tarheelsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

I was in the same place last spring. I bought the GMG Daniel Boone based on my ability to see one on a showroom floor. I absolutely love it. I know that customer service at GMG is excellent.
As I used it over the winter it does go through more pellets but I never did get a welding blanket to save on pellets. I think the double wall construction would help with that. But I will use it way more in the summertime than colder weather.
As far as WiFi, GMG makes it really easy to add the WiFi card later if you find that you want it. I do not have it but I might buy one this year.
I really think you will be fine either way but the GMG is great and the pid controller is all that GMG has. It’s a better controller.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:37 PM   #23
checkrd past
Full Fledged Farker

I'm 6 years into my Jim Bowie and just love it
checkrd past is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2019, 12:11 AM   #24
Music Junkie
Full Fledged Farker

I bought a GMG DB about 7 years ago for $499. No Wi-fi. I think that for the price point, and for a complete newbie to smoking, it was a fantastic purchase.

I had a few issues, but customer service was absolutely top notch. I have purchased a Godke's Downdraft and I have expanded the notches on the heat shield so I can move it around a bit more. I also built two racks to increase cooking area. My main issue with the unit is temp control and hot spots. Front right corner runs very hot in comparison to the rest of the pit. Sometimes 40-50 degrees. I received a Fireboard for Father's day last year and I keep tabs on pit/meat temps that way. That being said, I have learned to cook with it, and it has put out some tasty grub.

I live in a mild climate, with no major temp swings during the year. I keep a cover on it, and clean it out after two or three cooks. No rust, no breaking points, all parts working well.

All things considered, I would definitely recommend one to somebody looking for a pellet grill.

Last edited by Music Junkie; 03-24-2019 at 12:18 AM..
Music Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2020, 09:49 AM   #25
1stlink
Got rid of the matchlight.

The Grilla website is very convincing. The stainless steel innards and double wall construction from grid down are impressive.
I am especially like the chimp model for portability.
1stlink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2020, 11:02 AM   #26
Turkey Shack

Name/Nickname : BEN

I've had my GMG for a while with no issues. One of my brothers has a Trager and the other a RecTec. The Rec Tec is nicer than the other two but the food produced is the same quality across brands. I'm sure Grilla is just as good too. I think go with whichever one you can get the best deal on. That is just my opinion.
Turkey Shack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2020, 03:56 PM   #27
NYC 'Que

Name/Nickname : T.J.

Given those two choices, I’d go Grilla. I’ve never cooked on either but I did have the chance to lay my hands on a GMG in a local store. I was not impressed by the build quality. However, that may be me being a spoiled MAK owner.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:13 PM   #28
rm41400
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC 'Que View Post
Given those two choices, I’d go Grilla. I’ve never cooked on either but I did have the chance to lay my hands on a GMG in a local store. I was not impressed by the build quality. However, that may be me being a spoiled MAK owner.
I had a similar observation between the GMG and Grilla build quality. I was able to lay my hands on a regular GMG and it was definitely a lower build quality. I purchased a Grilla Chimp instead and its definitely higher quality. Doubt it really makes a difference in food quality as many love how the GMG cooks. I do believe it will last a little longer and is more efficient on pellet use. I m pleased with it and would recommend.

I was torn on the advantage of wifi on the GMG vs higher quality of chimp?? Which would be best for me? Well I’ll use the chimp mostly camping so I’ve been well served with setting a single temp and letting it ride... wifi is not a deal breaker.

However, I absolutely love having Wifi on my Mak 2. I suppose I’d be fine with the Mak without wifi and if you already have a FireBoard or similar temp monitor you can easily get by without wifi with most of the same convenience of a PG.

I can’t really see people going too wrong with any of the popular cookers suggested on here. Especially according to the price point your shopping. Then just decide on size and what ya think ya like most!
Santa Maria 42”
rm41400 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->