char siu redux

ecode

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Made the char siu as in
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73435
(thanks Landarc)
one hour on the offset at about 250 for some smoke, then grilled to finish.

I wanted to incorporate this into buns. I normally make steamed buns (bao), but made a sweet baked bun that will last longer.

I diced up the pork and mixed with green onions, oyster sauce, hoisin, black soy sauce and a bit of corn starch to thicken -- sorry, no measurements :lol:

IMG_4335.jpg

I mixed up some sweet bread dough

IMG_4336.jpg

Rolled the doughballs into rounds and added cooled filling, then folded up the sides and sealed.

IMG_4337.jpg

Coated with egg yoke and baked at 350 for about 20 minutes and voila.

IMG_4342.jpg

Yum, or should I say, "Dim Sum!"

IMG_4349.jpg

dang, i got a big bruise on my chin from my jaw dropping. those are awesome !

That all looks unbelievable! Do you have the recipe for that sweet dough?

:icon_shock1:WHOA! You're one sick, sick individual makin us look at that. To even think that redux up is........brilliant!:lol: I'll take a 1/2 doz. please.

That all looks unbelievable! Do you have the recipe for that sweet dough?

I've been making bread for a while and I don't have a recipes as such.
I just added things I know that make bread soft and a little more delicate for this type of thing.

So you can add milk instead of water. Powdered milk works too. If you have happened to have boiled potatoes lately you can use that water once it's cooled . A couple of eggs and triple the amount of fat you would normally use. And for about 8 cups of flour I think I used between 1/2 to 3/4 cups of sugar. It's a lot but if you taste the dough it should taste a little sweet.

And don't use bread flour, to much protein. I used unbleached all purpose with about a 1/4 pastry flour or Cake flour would work as well.

The last piece of advice I would have is just to let it rise nice and slow the longer it takes the better the flavor.

Sorry I can't be more specific I really am a "look, see, touch, taste" kinda cook.

holy moly that looks farkin' awesome!!!!!!!!!!! congrats! i'm envious AND hungry!

Back