MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

Default HELP! (for a good cause)

So here is my problem, please keep in mind we have never done anything like this before.

We have been asked if we would like to set up at a fundraiser for the local food bank, and cook some pulled pork, chicken, beans and slaw. The event is a giant potluck type of event that raises money and non-perishables for the regional food bank. We won't be selling anything, but donating our cooking and food to the people who show up. Almost everyone who shows up will be bringing a dish to donate to the event.

We would like to eventually start doing some small catering events and figured this will be a good place to get ourselves known, as well as being for a good cause.

That said, here are the facts that I have:

We will be doing pulled pork, chicken, two types of baked beans, slaw, and possably abts and some fatties as pre-party appatizers.

They normaly have 900-1100 people show up to the event every year. BUT, they also normaly have free lobster and won't be doing that this year, BUT, they said they expect the same number of people.

Almost Everyone attending will be bringing a dish to share (it is a pot luck)

We have the best bbq around town so .....

So, I would like some pro advice on amounts y'all think we should cook and advice on anything you think we might need to do. Thanks a bunch I need all of the help I can get!
Tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
Bushwacker
is one Smokin' Farker

I can't really give you any advice, but the guys are gonna need to know how and what your cooking on...
UDS (Under Construction)
Bushwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

Im cooking on 2 drums that fit 3 buts each and 2 small offsets that wil fit 5 butts each (8 lb butts). and a 22 in webber kettle.

I can cook some stuf early and bring it.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
Bigmofo300lbs
Full Fledged Farker

900-1100ppl?! That is a lot of Q. Is this the type of event that everyone is expected to be fed or is it okay for you to run out? Because that might help you calculate how much you really need to make.

When I cook for a crowd I use weight to help me with portions. For example, for pulled pork I serve 1/4# (ish) per person. So, if an 8# butt cooks down to 6#s...I should get 'about' 24 servings. I don't weigh each portion. I have a scoop that is pretty close to the 1/4# serving size.

I have never done an event that large. That is amazing. It will no doubt be a great experience for you.

Kamado #7, WSM, 3 Weber Kettles, Smokey Joe, Gasser & Foreman
Bigmofo300lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I guess you should figure how much you want to "donate". Then cook that much. Reality is most people will not even hit your booth if everybody brings a dish. But if you have good Q then people will hear about it.

For chicken I'd do whole birds and then cut into pieces and add a sauce to keep it moist. Use toothpicks to serve "portions". I'd get 2 oz containers for the beans and pork and get forks to give out. No buns. I'd skip the slaw. And I'd skip the appetizers. ABT's are popular but hard to make and are a large serving. If you want an appetizer do pig candy and serve a piece of 2 in the cups. Cut each strip into 6 pieces before making it.

Don't treat this as a catering gig but as a food tasting event. That way you can serve more people.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedle View Post
Im cooking on 2 drums that fit 3 buts each and 2 small offsets that wil fit 5 butts each (8 lb butts). and a 22 in webber kettle.

I can cook some stuf early and bring it.
IMO...you need a cooker that can handle a mass like that. I personally would not ever put myself in a position like that. It doesn't sound fun. Maybe you can find a brethren that would help you out on this one.

Pulled pork for 1,000 people alone will take 500 lbs of uncooked meat. As far as chicken goes, I agree with Ford. Cook whole chickens and part them afterwards. That will take 125 chickens. ABT's? I did 400 of them one time. I'll never do that again! I had two helpers and me and it took about 4 hours total prep for them. I wouldn't do the sides since others are bringing them.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Make 1000 moink balls and caller good.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #8
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

Default Thanks for the advice so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmofo300lbs View Post
900-1100ppl?! That is a lot of Q. Is this the type of event that everyone is expected to be fed or is it okay for you to run out? Because that might help you calculate how much you really need to make. We are expected to run out. They have it set up as a ptluck and do not expect us to feed everyone.

When I cook for a crowd I use weight to help me with portions. For example, for pulled pork I serve 1/4# (ish) per person. So, if an 8# butt cooks down to 6#s...I should get 'about' 24 servings. I don't weigh each portion. I have a scoop that is pretty close to the 1/4# serving size.
awsome thats what i was looking for!

I have never done an event that large. That is amazing. It will no doubt be a great experience for you.
We have never done any events before, but we figure if your ganna do it do it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
I guess you should figure how much you want to "donate". Then cook that much. Reality is most people will not even hit your booth if everybody brings a dish. But if you have good Q then people will hear about it. We want to "get the word out about us in hopes of maybe getting some small events later or geting sponsors for our future comps. We doubt everyone will get to us but we want to be talked about. They will have us set up our cookers and tent right outside the entrance to the building so we will be seen by everyone.. yea!

For chicken I'd do whole birds and then cut into pieces and add a sauce to keep it moist. Use toothpicks to serve "portions". I'd get 2 oz containers for the beans and pork and get forks to give out. No buns. I'd skip the slaw. And I'd skip the appetizers. ABT's are popular but hard to make and are a large serving. If you want an appetizer do pig candy and serve a piece of 2 in the cups. Cut each strip into 6 pieces before making it.
Pig candy wicked good idea! How could I have forgotten

Don't treat this as a catering gig but as a food tasting event. That way you can serve more people.
I think you have the right idea making this a tasting event it will strech less food over more portions and give more people a chance to try us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Smokehouse View Post
IMO...you need a cooker that can handle a mass like that. would love to have a bigger cooker but.. alas we have to make do. I might be able to get my hands on 3 more drums so that will help.I personally would not ever put myself in a position like that. It doesn't sound fun. This is going to be a blast and it will give me a chance to see if i like it before investing in the whole kit and cabootel(sp)Maybe you can find a brethren that would help you out on this one.

Pulled pork for 1,000 people alone will take 500 lbs of uncooked meat. prob going to cook for half or a little less unless you guys think I should shot for the stars. All leftovers are going to be donated to the food bank and local community kitchens so not worried about that. As far as chicken goes, I agree with Ford. Cook whole chickens and part them afterwards. That will take 125 chickens. ABT's? I did 400 of them one time. I'll never do that again! I had two helpers and me and it took about 4 hours total prep for them. I wouldn't do the sides since others are bringing them. The abts and fatties are for the people setting up the event and getting it all ready so prob only about 25-30 people. My way of lending a hand to the people who will be "working the event" rather than attending it
Thanks guys any other advice is surely welcome
Old 10-03-2009, 11:26 PM   #9
Cabntmkr1
is Blowin Smoke!

Good luck and keep us posted on how things go!
[FONT=Arial]ServSafe Certified[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Déjà Moo - The feeling you've heard that bull before. [/FONT]
Cabntmkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

Default Update

So we had a meeting with the "commitee" about the event. I would say it went very well. It was short and sweet. We told them what we wanted to do and they offered any help that we would need. we made it very clear that we are not atering this event but mearling brining some bbq and apetizers to feed about 100-150 people.
(side note they are now expecting 250 people from the respones they got, I guess when you don't pass out free lobster less people show up to help out a charity...)

We hope to offer smaller amounts of everything that we can cook so everyone will get something we offer but not everything we offer in hopes of creating a "buzz about our food".

They also offered to hang up or banners around there building, send out flyers with our name on them, put adds in the paper and anounce at the event thruoutr the night that we are brought the Q. So it all went well i think.
If anyone thinks of something that might be an issue please let me know lol
Old 10-08-2009, 12:07 AM   #11
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
Make 1000 moink balls and caller good.
BBq grail is going to be mad at you. it's MOINK bALLS
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #12
Cabntmkr1
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedle View Post
So we had a meeting with the "commitee" about the event. I would say it went very well. It was short and sweet. We told them what we wanted to do and they offered any help that we would need. we made it very clear that we are not atering this event but mearling brining some bbq and apetizers to feed about 100-150 people.
(side note they are now expecting 250 people from the respones they got, I guess when you don't pass out free lobster less people show up to help out a charity...)

We hope to offer smaller amounts of everything that we can cook so everyone will get something we offer but not everything we offer in hopes of creating a "buzz about our food".

They also offered to hang up or banners around there building, send out flyers with our name on them, put adds in the paper and anounce at the event thruoutr the night that we are brought the Q. So it all went well i think.
If anyone thinks of something that might be an issue please let me know lol
Free advertising doesn't hurt!
[FONT=Arial]ServSafe Certified[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Déjà Moo - The feeling you've heard that bull before. [/FONT]
Cabntmkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Make sure you keep your receipts so that you can write it off and the end of year as a donation.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #14
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Make sure you keep your receipts so that you can write it off and the end of year as a donation.

As well as your time.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #15
Balls Casten
is One Chatty Farker

maybe I am mistaking your question but if you are looking for how much foood to take ... I use this one from the sticky at the top of this fourm.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...5&postcount=12