MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Wink Brisket $1.00 Pound - Houston/Galveston

Hey y'all

I went to the local HEB to try and find some inspiration for some dinner guests tonight and looked at the section of Brisket. At first I did not notice it, and was looking at some specialty Items and was chuckling about the following packages.

They took a packer and cut it into 6 pieces and sold the sixths individually, they cut them raw at about 1/2 and inch and are trying to sell them as "steaks," and also a few that were sliced then run through the tenderizer for tenderized steaks.

I was thinking, man, somebody needs to get rid of them when all of the sudden I hear shouting and some guy is rolling a cart up to the cooler with a cart BENDING under the pressure of a full cart packed 2 feet above the top with Brisket.

"You can shove it up your a s s then" he says to the manager. Obviously tried to get off with a bunch.

I look and there is a sign "Brisket Packers $1.00 pound." Underneath limit of "2 per purchase."

The manager rejected my request to buy a Pallet as well. I bought a couple of left handed briskets and went on my way.

So for those of you that have the skills to make Select meat into a BBQ delicacy like our fore fathers could--go do it, which is naturally anybody in my region. LOL Those of you that need Prime or better should stay out of this. Unless you follow the logic that you could really score up some CHEAP experience that will translate into some ribbons later on when you use (or rather insist on using) those high falutin' CAB and such for practice runs.
This alert is also for competitors that may actually have the skills to compete using a select cut.

<--Moderator Required Tongue and Cheek Moniker
(For those of you that cannot read carefully or may skim this symbol is a hint that I am using either Glib Irony or Thickly Veiled Satire

My take on the product??? Nice bend, I mean some were quite floppy but may be on the end of their wet aging. I didn't look at the manifest.
Here's a tip, select one that bends nice, and is left handed and you have a great brisket.

Old school Competitors - this is that special stuff you go to the competition with and cook like 15 brisket and select the best ones for your box! LOL

Old 03-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Is this the normal weekend stocking day for meat at HEB?
If so, it is no wonder that the choice is limited on Friday's.
That is a great price! I'd be making several trips.

Weiser
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I remember when that was considered a high price. LOL

Old 03-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey. If you have the "required skills", would you
answer my question Azzmunch?
On what day does HEB stock their meat department for the weekend?
It really isn't that difficult. Or, is it?

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
I remember when that was considered a high price. LOL
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
I went to the local HEB to try and find some inspiration for some dinner guests tonight and looked at the section of Brisket.
Now this is funny. Gotta love TX - a "section" of brisket at the market. In our parts if you're lucky to enough to find packers, you're even more lucky to find maybe 3.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommykendall View Post
Now this is funny. Gotta love TX - a "section" of brisket at the market. In our parts if you're lucky to enough to find packers, you're even more lucky to find maybe 3.
Guess you don't want to hear about the meat guy offering to let me sort through the cases to find a couple more that I like, do you?

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2009, 10:07 AM   #7
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Donnie, I believe I know the thinking about selecting only left handed briskets, but I wonder if it is really true? Have you actually proven to yourself that it is?
Sorry that this is a bit off topic. I will start a new thread if I am off track asking it here.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Guess you don't want to hear about the meat guy offering to let me sort through the cases to find a couple more that I like, do you?
The word "biatch" isn't the right word but it's the first that comes to mind

Old 04-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommykendall View Post
The word "biatch" isn't the right word but it's the first that comes to mind
I'll call to apologize this weekend.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote