MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #2146
Andyll
Found some matches.

Asking for input on How Many UDS cookers you would recomend for a KCBS comp?

Thanks,
Ken A.
Andyll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2008, 07:23 PM   #2147
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyll View Post
Asking for input on How Many UDS cookers you would recomend for a KCBS comp?

Thanks,
Ken A.
4 minimum...(one for each meat)...maybe 5 ( one hot one for setting glazes)...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2008, 07:32 PM   #2148
topdawg
Got rid of the matchlight.

where can i find 1/2 inch stainless plugs for intake -exhaust holes
topdawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2008, 07:40 PM   #2149
Norcoredneck

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Not Stainless but nickle plated. Page 3671

9563K43Push-in Metal Plug Nickel-Plated, Fits 1/2" ID, 21/32" Head DiameterIn stock at $11.87 per PackThis product is sold in Packs of 50

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2008, 11:07 PM   #2150
jd-santaclarita
Got Wood.

Has anyone had good luck with an 85 or 110 gallon drum? I finally read through the whole thread, but i dont remember seeing anything conclusive about this. My motivation is trying to get 2 racks in 1 smoker without dealing with the non fitting weber lid. I think the extra capacity would make it a good size to use regularly as well as hold enough to do the larger family gatherings. I just dont have enough time with my current work crazyness to deal with the fine tuning to get the airflow dynamics right if it doesnt work. Thoughts?

Thanks all,
-JD
jd-santaclarita is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2008, 11:49 PM   #2151
Beerwolf
Take a breath!

JD, I think you are dealing with the typical thought train that happens during the construction of that first drum....its called OVERCOMPLICATION. I can guarantee you can get a Weber lid to fit a drum in California, I do it all the time. I am not familiar with 110 or 85 gallon drums, but Id bet that you will spend a lot of time getting grills and other ' off the rack items' to fit those size drums. My advice is to bite the bullet and make the 50 gallon standard uds. I am sure if you follow the directions to 'fine tune' the Weber lid, you will be glad you did. In closing remember we dont build rocket ships... all it needs to do is burn mamal, lowly and slowly

Old 12-19-2008, 01:03 AM   #2152
Norcoredneck

I made a 85 gallon. Now with the 26" Weber you can get grills more easily. Build a 55 and find what you like/dislike and gofor the85 and then sell the 55. But you will probably keep it.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 12-19-2008, 01:19 AM   #2153
jwalk721
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I've read most of these posts and must admit I have the itch. I have almost everything I need to start and have access to everything else (I work at Lowes). I even scored a brand new Weber kettle for about 40 bucks still in the box. Yhe only thing I'm missing is the drum. Actually I have one but was wondering if it was safe to use. I've been looking for about a month now and there are none to be found around here. My father in law brought one over today from his shop but it was used for acetone. When you open it up there is no smell at all coming from it so I'm thinking it will be okay. I was wondering what all of you experts think. Thanks in advance.
jwalk721 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2008, 02:10 AM   #2154
Norcoredneck

I'd go a couple of good burns through it.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 12-19-2008, 07:06 AM   #2155
jaronimo
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Not Stainless but nickle plated. Page 3671

9563K43Push-in Metal Plug Nickel-Plated, Fits 1/2" ID, 21/32" Head DiameterIn stock at $11.87 per PackThis product is sold in Packs of 50
They sell these at Lowes in single packs too. All different sizes. In the electrical section.

[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Wood fired pizza oven,Copper Weber Gold, Green Weber Performer, Black Weber Silver, Green logo'd 18 inch Weber Gold, and a UDS of course.

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][URL]http://cookinginmyyard.com/[/URL][/SIZE]
jaronimo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2008, 07:12 AM   #2156
ipls3355
is one Smokin' Farker

jd,
I have two racks in my 55 gal. with a flat lid. the grates are about 5.5 inches apart. There has only been a couple times I couln't fit the meat in that space. You can also make a tall lid from a donor drum. You have to work on sealing it up and a weber lid would probably be easier.

good luck and make sure to post pics

Crankin out Q on my ECB since 2005
UDS born September, 2007
22" Weber Kettle
18" Weber Kettle
ipls3355 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2008, 07:27 AM   #2157
jaronimo
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk721 View Post
Yhe only thing I'm missing is the drum. Actually I have one but was wondering if it was safe to use. I've been looking for about a month now and there are none to be found around here. My father in law brought one over today from his shop but it was used for acetone. When you open it up there is no smell at all coming from it so I'm thinking it will be okay. I was wondering what all of you experts think. Thanks in advance.

I just picked up 2 perfect drums. They are almost too pretty to start cutting up. They were Castrol oil drums. I looked inside and they are almost perfect and clean. I asked the guy if he cleaned them and he said "No, sometimes they are not filled with oil, but have plastic bag liners with other stuff in them" I guess that only applies to open top drums.

This one must have held something other than oil because there is no smell, no residue, and there are a couple of very light surface rust circles inside the barrel where it looks like something rubbed against the inside of the barrel in shipping.

I hit it with some acryli-clean wax and grease remover and only got a very light coat of dirt off the inside of the barrel. I let it sit for a while and when I checked again it appeared to be bare metal so I lightly scuffed it with a greenie pad and the next day it had surface rust on that spot. I will still run it through a burn cycle, but I am pretty confident it is clean now.

The acetone should evaporate without leaving a residue, if its the higher quality acetone. There are some lesser purity acetones that will leave a slight residue. I would do a good cleaning with soap and water first. That would remove most of the residue if there is any, and then do a burn. By washing it first you don't have to worry as much about the burn fumes that may come out of the drum.

[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Wood fired pizza oven,Copper Weber Gold, Green Weber Performer, Black Weber Silver, Green logo'd 18 inch Weber Gold, and a UDS of course.

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][URL]http://cookinginmyyard.com/[/URL][/SIZE]
jaronimo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2008, 08:50 AM   #2158
Beerwolf
Take a breath!

If you build a proper sized fire, anythign in there will be reduced to charcoal once it is burned... its a chemistry thing

Old 12-19-2008, 09:14 AM   #2159
jwalk721
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaronimo View Post
The acetone should evaporate without leaving a residue, if its the higher quality acetone. There are some lesser purity acetones that will leave a slight residue. I would do a good cleaning with soap and water first. That would remove most of the residue if there is any, and then do a burn. By washing it first you don't have to worry as much about the burn fumes that may come out of the drum.

Thanks. I was hoping it wouldn't blow up on me. I kinda would like to keep my eyebrows.
jwalk721 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #2160
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk721 View Post
My wife is worried it's going to blow up on me. It won't....will it?
I'd make sure it's empty before torching it!

Here is the MSDS for acetone...check it out.
http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Acetone-9927062

excerpt...

Flammability of the Product:
Flammable.
Auto-Ignition Temperature:

465°C (869°F)
Flash Points:

CLOSED CUP: -20°C (-4°F). OPEN CUP: -9°C (15.8°F) (Cleveland).
Flammable Limits:

LOWER: 2.6% UPPER: 12.8%
Products of Combustion:

These products are carbon oxides (CO, CO2).
Fire Hazards in Presence of Various Substances:

Highly flammable in presence of open flames and sparks, of heat.
Explosion Hazards in Presence of Various Substances:
Risks of explosion of the product in presence of mechanical impact: Not available.
Slightly explosive in presence of open flames and sparks, of oxidizing materials, of acids.
Fire Fighting Media and Instructions:
Flammable liquid, soluble or dispersed in water.
SMALL FIRE: Use DRY chemical powder.
LARGE FIRE: Use alcohol foam, water spray or fog.
Special Remarks on Fire Hazards:

Vapor may travel considerable distance to source of ignition and flash back.
Special Remarks on Explosion Hazards:
Forms explosive mixtures with hydrogen peroxide, acetic acid, nitric acid, nitric acid + sulfuric acid, chromic anydride,
chromyl chloride, nitrosyl chloride, hexachloromelamine, nitrosyl perchlorate, nitryl perchlorate, permonosulfuric acid,
thiodiglycol + hydrogen peroxide, potassium ter-butoxide, sulfur dichloride, 1-methyl-1,3-butadiene, bromoform, carbon,
air, chloroform, thitriazylperchlorate.

p

JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker