MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Smokin'Swine
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default GBA Competitions

Gonna do my first one, need clarification about preliminary and finals same meat???????

Are turn in boxes different than FBA boxes, can't find much on web
Smokin'Swine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
cdkeach
Knows what a fatty is.

Smokin'Swine...most teams will stagger meats so they have fresh butts/slabs/loins for finals. If you don't make finals...you have lot's of left-overs.

Turn-in boxes are similar to FBA (no garnish) except a minimum of 6 pieces instead of 7.

Full details can be found http://www.bbqga.org/contests/gba-rules/
cdkeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
cdkeach
Knows what a fatty is.

Oops...scratch my typo...FBA requires 8 pieces.
cdkeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

If you are going to be in Perry, stop by Kudzu Q and say hello. We could offer up a little advice...though I dont know how helpful it will be.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Good luck guys. Dawg, I'll stop over and see you. I'll be judging in Perry.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Good luck guys. Dawg, I'll stop over and see you. I'll be judging in Perry.

Sounds good.

Just look for the team that looks like a yard sale...that will be us.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
Smokin'Swine
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for the tips.....yes it looks like there will be plenty of leftovers!!!!!!
We are doing Perry so I look forward to seeing y'all!
Smokin'Swine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
AUBBQ
On the road to being a farker

We will be in Perry. This will be my 1st GBA event. I’m going to treat the box presentations like I would for an FBA event since there is no garnish. Are we on the right track? The preliminary/finals aspect seems interesting.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

if you havent cooked GBA, but have cooked FBA...the boxes arent much different. the timing is a little different for GBA with the finals and at perry the brisket and chicken are going to make for a long and hectic day.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
AUBBQ

Thanks Dawg. You got that right; it will be hectic to say the least, good way to kick of the season I guess…

Old 02-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
Hot Sauce Hoss

Stop by and say hi to Hicktown Hoss. Can't wait to start the season.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
AUBBQ

Me either Hoss!! I can't wait!!

Old 02-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

hope that we get decent weather. Last year the weather was great for this contest. I am sure it will be a good time either way. I think that last count was 35 or so teams...that a bad turn out. i am sure they will add a couple more in the next week. Last year there were more than 40 teams out there.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #14
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUBBQ View Post
We will be in Perry. This will be my 1st GBA event. I’m going to treat the box presentations like I would for an FBA event since there is no garnish. Are we on the right track? The preliminary/finals aspect seems interesting.
Having been through a number of tie breakers in many different cooking competitions, I really love the finals aspect of this. This way goal 1 is to win your table, then of course goal 2 is to WIN with that 2nd turn-in.

From a judges perspective, the pork and ribs are usually very good. We'll see both MBN style, KCBS style (sans garnish of course), FBA style (usually shredded meat lining the bottom), etc. We will see huge variations on the pork loin though. Always interesting to judge.

Look out for team Holy Smokes (or is it Holy Smokers). Gary is on a roll lately. And Myron's son with Jack's New South has been very consistent in the top 3 or 4.

Good luck all of y'all!!!

If there is a *hint* to give out to the first timers; GBA was founded by and is largely judged by MBN folks. Plenty are certified in multiple sanctioning bodies (KCBS included). 100% CBJ's at all GBA competitions, just a high portion of them you'd also see at every MBN competition around here. The meat in ribs should pull cleanly from the bone with a little resistance (a little different than KCBS). Without garnish, the old addage "fill the box" holds true most of the time.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #15
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Having been through a number of tie breakers in many different cooking competitions, I really love the finals aspect of this. This way goal 1 is to win your table, then of course goal 2 is to WIN with that 2nd turn-in.

From a judges perspective, the pork and ribs are usually very good. We'll see both MBN style, KCBS style (sans garnish of course), FBA style (usually shredded meat lining the bottom), etc. We will see huge variations on the pork loin though. Always interesting to judge.

Look out for team Holy Smokes (or is it Holy Smokers). Gary is on a roll lately. And Myron's son with Jack's New South has been very consistent in the top 3 or 4.

Good luck all of y'all!!!

If there is a *hint* to give out to the first timers; GBA was founded by and is largely judged by MBN folks. Plenty are certified in multiple sanctioning bodies (KCBS included). 100% CBJ's at all GBA competitions, just a high portion of them you'd also see at every MBN competition around here. The meat in ribs should pull cleanly from the bone with a little resistance (a little different than KCBS). Without garnish, the old addage "fill the box" holds true most of the time.
Gary is Holy Smokes and I am sure he will be tough to beat. Rescue Smokers, Jack's New South, and DW Kookers are all teams to beat in GBA.