cutting board ?

Brian in So Cal

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Was looking at getting a maple cutting board. Then someone metioned that you can't or should not cut meat on them. Something to do with bacteria getting into the board.

Is this correct?

Can anybody recommend it or a different type of cutting board?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian, I seem to remember a lengthy thread on this subject a couple of years back.
I don't have time right now to chase it down for you, though, sorry.

Arlin

PROS: If kindly treated, a maple cutting board can last at least 10 years before retiring gracefully to the kitchen wall as a chronicler of meals past. Wood has "give" and doesn't dull blades as quickly as harder surfaces do. Many chefs prefer end-grain boards (those that look like checkerboards) because they're firmer than edge-grain boards (those made with long strips of wood, like the one above) and stand up to restaurant use. For the home chef, however, end-grain boards are probably not worth the extra cost.

CONS: Despite what many people believe, wood does not contain a natural germicide that kills bacteria. It is not dishwasher-safe and must be oiled to prevent splits and cracks.

CARE: Scrub with a nonabrasive brush and hot, soapy water. Rinse and dry thoroughly — water that sits can create a germ-friendly environment. What's more, when water is left to evaporate, the wood's own moisture evaporates with it, which means you'll have to treat your board with oil more frequently. You can tell the board needs to be oiled when its glue lines are extremely light. Use mineral oil or raw, all-natural tung or walnut oil, both available at most health-food stores. (Don't use cooking oil — it can make the wood smell rancid.)

Brian, I seem to remember a lengthy thread on this subject a couple of years back.
I don't have time right now to chase it down for you, though, sorry.

Arlin

I will see if I can find it.

PROS: If kindly treated, a maple cutting board can last at least 10 years before retiring gracefully to the kitchen wall as a chronicler of meals past. Wood has "give" and doesn't dull blades as quickly as harder surfaces do. Many chefs prefer end-grain boards (those that look like checkerboards) because they're firmer than edge-grain boards (those made with long strips of wood, like the one above) and stand up to restaurant use. For the home chef, however, end-grain boards are probably not worth the extra cost.

CONS: Despite what many people believe, wood does not contain a natural germicide that kills bacteria. It is not dishwasher-safe and must be oiled to prevent splits and cracks.

CARE: Scrub with a nonabrasive brush and hot, soapy water. Rinse and dry thoroughly — water that sits can create a germ-friendly environment. What's more, when water is left to evaporate, the wood's own moisture evaporates with it, which means you'll have to treat your board with oil more frequently. You can tell the board needs to be oiled when its glue lines are extremely light. Use mineral oil or raw, all-natural tung or walnut oil, both available at most health-food stores. (Don't use cooking oil — it can make the wood smell rancid.)

Thanks Larry for the info.

We resently used one of those disposable boards
Man was that handy at a comp

Wood cutting boards should NOT be used for meats. They are "vegie" boards and when cutting garlic or onion on them can be cleaned with lemon and salt.

There are plastic boards that are sold at Walmart very cheap that you can take to a comp and toss them afterwards if you like. They come in a pack with different colors so that you can, for instance, use red for meats, green for vegies and yellow for onion and garlic.

do y'all know how tough the bamboo cutting boards i've seen around some local stores are?

I got a poly 24 X 18 x 1/2 at Sams the other day for about $12.
They in the restaurant section.

My sister had a natural stone countertop installed. I got the sink cut-out and use it. In fact I have 2. The one from my kitchen when the countertops were installed and hers. They are perfect and clean very easily. I only use these for comps, camping and big gatherings where large quantities of meat needs to be pulled and/or chopped.

I use my nice wooden cutting board for veggies and cooked meat only. Raw meat never touches it.

Couple of comps we do strickly prohibit using wood cutting boards for meat. Health department issue. Whatever.

I love the wood boards as they are super fast with the knives, but due to ease of maintenance and price we use the plastic boards they sell at the local restaurant supply. Though we sanitize everything after each cook, its nice to have the red boards for raw meat, grean for veggitarians, and white for everything else.

I too am in the camp: raw meat on plastic boards & wood boards for veggies.

Back