MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

Default How to adapt Weber kettle lid to UDS??

Ok, was out in garage measuring stuff. looks like the outside measurement on weber kettle "lip" is 22 5/8". The inside measurement of the drum appears to be 22 1/2". do i just take a cut of blade in my grinder and cut off about an inch of the kettle then slide it down into the drum till it snugs up? do i need to weld it? would like option of using both flat lid as well as kettle lid for hams/turkeys etc. Another option I think I have would be to weld the kettle lid to a spare flat lid then cut out the inside of the flat lid leaving about an inch "flange" all around.
Can anyone chime in???

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #2
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

???...a 22 1/2 in Weber kettle lid fits perfectly on top of my 55 gallon drums. Swamprb has done a similar mod to his drums...I'm sure he'll chime in or you can sort through his drum mod posts...if you have a few days to kill!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
bertkemtncurs
On the road to being a farker

Never thought about welding the dome to a flat lid and cutting it out - good idea!
22.5" kettle
18.5" Weber
Stainless gasser
bertkemtncurs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
swamprb

Flange mod! I do this for the open drums with lids, it allows me to use both lids. But one thing I have noticed using a Weber lid without the flange on closed drums is that they leak greasy condensation down the sides of the drums. With the flange it does not.

Closed drum with top cut out and kettle flange

Open top drum with flange in place

Flange removed and drum lid in place

I use a cut off tool on the kettle
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

swamp,
you da man...thanks for da quick response. gotta love this place. so looks like you cut maybe 1 1/2" off the weber kettle for the flange? and it just sits inside the drum. do you get much leakage around it or does it seal pretty tight? gonna have to get to work.

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2008, 07:39 PM   #6
Single Fin Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Just do like Swamp says. I did and it works great. Your kettle ring just slides right in nice and snug without any welding.
I tried using some oven gasket(which worked pretty good), but it kept falling apart on me.

Oh yeah, I do notice that if I use another lid(other than the original) it does pull up a little bit when I take it off.
WSM
Webber Kettle
True stainless kegerator w/cheap 1/2 barrel
10'6 EC single fin
10' Minchington 2-1 set up
Single Fin Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #7
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnut View Post
swamp,
you da man...thanks for da quick response. gotta love this place. so looks like you cut maybe 1 1/2" off the weber kettle for the flange? and it just sits inside the drum. do you get much leakage around it or does it seal pretty tight? gonna have to get to work.
On the open drums none of mine are the same, I ran a bead of Permatex Hi-temp silicone around them and virtually no leakage. If you put them in the closed drum top no leaks. I used a rotisserie ring on mine and the only leaks were around the spit rod cutouts.

This is my "Patio Model" and you can see how the flange just sits on the lip of the drum, the red bead is the silicone and it does a great job.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Swamprb's is right about them all being different. My drum was banded and when I dropped the flange in...................it dropped all the way into the drum. I had to cut the center out of the drum lid and then use the lip that was left over along with the band in order to allow the flange to fit. I also cut the flange a little lower so that I could continue to use the grate tabs. Good luck on you build and keep the pron coming.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...t=drum+is+done
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2008, 02:18 AM   #9
Single Fin Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

I just cut those little handle dealys off.
WSM
Webber Kettle
True stainless kegerator w/cheap 1/2 barrel
10'6 EC single fin
10' Minchington 2-1 set up
Single Fin Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #10
Beerwolf
Take a breath!

You guys are too complicated.... Just take a crescent wrench to the webber lid, barely open the wrench and use it to bend out the lip. You will have to do this about every 1/2 inch or so as you go around the lip, it wont even break the paint and its a lot better than thrashing a good webber kettle bottom which can be used later as a redneck fire pit

Old 01-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #11
CircleW
On the road to being a farker

Beerwolf, could you post a pic of your method? I finally got a Weber lid and it is about 1/2in too small for my drum. I don't want to cut up the bottom of the Weber for a flange... Does your method seal well? Any problems?

Thanks!
CircleW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #12
T-Bird
Found some matches.

First drum I got was 22 3/4" diameter, Weber lid wouldn't fit. Second drum was 22 1/2", Weber lid fits like it was made for it...
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #13
Phubar

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
First drum I got was 22 3/4" diameter, Weber lid wouldn't fit. Second drum was 22 1/2", Weber lid fits like it was made for it...

My donor Weber 22,5" fits perfectly on my UDS.
Recently I scored a 2nd hand Weber 18,5" for my Midi UDS.
After seeing your drum yesterday I decided to go further with mine.
The lid doesn't fit perfectly like the 22,5" lid does on the yellow UDS but I made a phonecall today to the place that welded my charcoal basket,gonna drop by tomorrow morning to let them fabricate a charcoal basket again and see if they can make my lid fit.
I do have a smaller barrel where the Weber lid fits perfectly on the drum lip so probably I'm gonna take that drum with me just in case so if needed they can cut the lip of the drum and weld it to the lip of the midi drum.
Probably gonna ask them first if they can do something to the lip like make it thinner/flatter.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #14
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

I've made 2 UDS so far, and both were just a tad big for a Weber lid. I added a band of metal around the inside. On my stainless UDS, I bolted it. On the steelie, I welded it ever few inches. Both work well. I was going to seal it with silicon, but it doesn't seem necessary.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #15
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerwolf View Post
You guys are too complicated.... Just take a crescent wrench to the webber lid, barely open the wrench and use it to bend out the lip. You will have to do this about every 1/2 inch or so as you go around the lip, it wont even break the paint and its a lot better than thrashing a good webber kettle bottom which can be used later as a redneck fire pit
^^^what he said.

I used channel locks and bent the rim of the lid out, set it on the drum, and persuaded it back in place with a rubber hammer. Perfection!

Thanks from:--->