MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:05 PM   #121
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkeys View Post
Right. I was thinking about the massive amount of BTU's that go up into the air from the burn barrel instead of into the cooker. For the backyard cook who is trying to save money on wood, that's a lot of wasted heat. I'm trying to make my wood stack last as long as possible before I need to buy more because I'm cooking all the time, not just once in a blue moon.

BTW, Joe Phillips said the "coal base" is where all the heat comes from. My experience is I get a lot of heat from burning wood too.
You are correct, of course it does. Not sure why Joe would say that.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2017, 09:26 PM   #122
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerBroker View Post
+1

I was ready to order a Loaded Wichita as well until I stumbled across this thread. Slamkeys was clearly not some internet troll with a vendetta against Yoder. Anyone who read the whole thread could see that. I continued my research and ordered the LSG, which began to be built yesterday as a matter or fact!
JokerBroker, I'm pumped for you. I'll be in the LSG queue in the next 3 months (wife willing). Kindly start a thread showing off your wares once the beast arrives. I can't wait to see your rig.

I have no beef with Yoder, but I believe in free markets, free flow of information, and the ability for the best products to win!!

"...can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid!!!"
Notorious Q.U.E. is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #123
slamkeys
On the road to being a farker

You know, after watching T-Roy's interview and the discussion about Yoder's heat management plate, I was reminded of Horizon's "convection plate" system which I've seen before in photos. Horizon's system looks superior to me for a couple of reasons:
  • Horizontal placement, much like a tuning plate system, does not create back pressure on the firebox.
  • Adjustment handle allows for tweaking the hot zone during the cook.
I'm also questioning who is copying who, because these two companies seem to have almost identical designs. Did Horizon "invent" this convection plate design first, or did Yoder? Perhaps it was an older company like Oklahoma Joe's, and they both "borrowed" the concept. It would be interesting to hear from someone who knows the history behind this convection plate/heat management plate design.

At any rate, when I compare the Horizon models to their similar Yoder counterparts, I always seem to favor the functional design of the Horizons, while I like the looks of the Yoders better. In hindsight, what's really more important, looks or function? Obviously function.

Yoder design. Long plate angled downward with fewer holes and not really intended to be adjustable.

Last edited by slamkeys; 09-20-2017 at 11:12 AM..
slamkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #124
IXL
is one Smokin' Farker

Roger Davidson, the owner of Horizon, is the brother of Joe Davidson, of Oklahoma Joe's fame. Roger was the vice president of OK Joe's during the heady days of the resurgent Okla/Tx oil boom (Yee Haw!!! that was FUN!!).
It is no coincidence, I'm sure, that the Horizon stuff looks much like the same designs that many of these same guys were making for Joe.
My Horizon convection plate works so well that even I appear to know what I'm doing around an offset. I had no idea that the Yoder product didn't provide a meas to adjust the plate during a cook; I see this as a valuable feature. Also, both ends can be balanced to within just a couple of degrees, if desired, or jacked apart by about a million or so.
IXL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #125
Bryan58
Found some matches.

New guy here. I ordered a Cheyenne on 8/30/17 and have been reading the Yoder forums a lot recently, especially slamkeys' posts. After Yoder posted about the damper modifications, I decided to e-mail them to find out what I could and this is all that I was told: "I have checked with the factory and all new Cheyenne smokers (including yours) will be delivered with the latest improvements. As for the Cheyenne we have lowered the airflow on firebox door for increased efficiency." I was told 6-8 weeks for delivery, so I'll post some pics later in October.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-21-2017, 03:30 PM   #126
slamkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXL View Post
I had no idea that the Yoder product didn't provide a means to adjust the plate during a cook; I see this as a valuable feature.
Joe Phillips actually said, "The [heat management plate] lip should curl under the ash seal." That was always my understanding, and I have never even thought of moving the plate around since I started using my Wichita.

When I tuck the lip of the heat management plate below the ash seal on my smoker, it extends the "wall of steel" between the firebox and the cooker body up to 6 1/2 inches! Not very conducive to good flow. And, since the plate angles downward, the heat has to move even further downward to get through the cooker body.

From the other side, the open edges are clearly visible, as is the outline of the top of the firebox. When I compare this to the Horizon design I definitely like the Horizon better.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:02 PM   #127
slamkeys

A new post on the Yoder forum from a heavily invested Yoder customer calls on Yoder to be more open about what's going on:

Re: My Wichita Experience
http://community.yodersmokers.com/vi...p?p=8960#p8960

Old 09-29-2017, 12:42 PM   #128
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
A new post on the Yoder forum from a heavily invested Yoder customer calls on Yoder to be more open about what's going on:

Re: My Wichita Experience
http://community.yodersmokers.com/vi...p?p=8960#p8960
Slamkeys, your knowledge and expertise is needed in a thread from a gentleman Down Under. Please scroll down Q-talk and find the Wichita drafting mod thread cause I think this fellow needs your help!!

"...can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid!!!"

Old 09-29-2017, 03:01 PM   #129
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Slamkeys, I really appreciate your ongoing efforts and insight.

I'm sorta kicking the tires on various offset stick burners and am doing so with an eye on the budget. I can't afford to get something that's not effective and smooth running.

I had such a stick burner years ago that was pain in the rear to cook on. Airflow was horrid and it scared me off stick-burners for quite some time.

I'm taking my time this go'round as I don't have a true need for one.....just a want, lol.

It's great reading through your experiences and very helpful.

Thank you !!!!

Old 10-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #130
slamkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGA View Post
Slamkeys, I really appreciate your ongoing efforts and insight.
Thanks. I'm normally a very quiet person, so this drama that has unfolded over the past year was never something I bargained for when I bought my Loaded Wichita. What started out as a whimper from one unhappy customer has turned into a roar from a growing band of past customers who thought they were alone in their frustration over the Yoder offset performance.

It seems Yoder is finally taking some action, but for many of us it will be too little too late. In my profession we sometimes refer to the process of "polishing a turd" which describes the ongoing refinement of something that has such a major design flaw that it will never work as intended despite all the efforts to improve it. The only real solution is a re-design. Have you ever heard of that? Well, that is the perfect description for the current Yoder offset design, in my opinion. Everyone seems so impressed with the precision of fit, weld quality, and aesthetic beauty of their smokers they overlook the fact that they don't actually work as good as they look due to a major design flaw. Yoder has polished a turd.

The smoker market is pretty diverse these days, and it's tough to pick one with so many choices and so many custom builders. If only there was a "try before you buy" option so we knew what we were getting when we signed up. I would love to have a Shirley Fabrication smoker, knowing what I know now, but you have to wait a good while to get one of those, and most of their units are overkill for my needs. My fear is I'll eventually know so much about smokers I'll begin looking for used propane tanks so I can build one from scratch! If you want something done right, then do it yourself!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:05 PM   #131
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Thanks. I'm normally a very quiet person, so this drama that has unfolded over the past year was never something I bargained for when I bought my Loaded Wichita. What started out as a whimper from one unhappy customer has turned into a roar from a growing band of past customers who thought they were alone in their frustration over the Yoder offset performance.

It seems Yoder is finally taking some action, but for many of us it will be too little too late. In my profession we sometimes refer to the process of "polishing a turd" which describes the ongoing refinement of something that has such a major design flaw that it will never work as intended despite all the efforts to improve it. The only real solution is a re-design. Have you ever heard of that? Well, that is the perfect description for the current Yoder offset design, in my opinion. Everyone seems so impressed with the precision of fit, weld quality, and aesthetic beauty of their smokers they overlook the fact that they don't actually work as good as they look due to a major design flaw. Yoder has polished a turd.

The smoker market is pretty diverse these days, and it's tough to pick one with so many choices and so many custom builders. If only there was a "try before you buy" option so we knew what we were getting when we signed up. I would love to have a Shirley Fabrication smoker, knowing what I know now, but you have to wait a good while to get one of those, and most of their units are overkill for my needs. My fear is I'll eventually know so much about smokers I'll begin looking for used propane tanks so I can build one from scratch! If you want something done right, then do it yourself!
PJ o Rourke once wrote “the Berlin Wall fell because East Germans didn’t want to wear Bulgarian shoes anymore “. I take away that a Yoder Wichita, as currently designed, is a Bulgarian shoe compared to a free market offering better smokers for cheaper prices. Base Shirley is 400 bucks cheaper!

I say vote with your feet and let the truth be Told !!

Old 10-03-2017, 08:06 AM   #132
JokerBroker

Dear Yoder,
If the paying customer says you have a problem, you have a problem.
Best regards,
The Free Market

Old 10-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #133
funstuie

Name/Nickname : Stu

Here is what is probably a stupid question -

Has anyone changed the wheels on their Yoder Wichita? The big steel wheels are difficult to move and I think something like golf cart wheels would make life a lot easier.
funstuie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #134
IXL
is one Smokin' Farker

Dear customer, if you think you have a problem, then:

rotate the entire smoker (possibly constantly) toward more breeze
use drier wood
use even drier, kiln-dried wood ($$$)
learn how to build a fire
build a much, much bigger fire
use about 30lbs of charcoal as a "base" for the forthcoming big fire
open the fire box door, as only a fool would expect our smokers to work by merely
adjusting the intake vents
open the fire box door wider
utilize a large and powerful electric fan to force air into the wide-opened-door fire box
use still more charcoal as a base
elevate the smoker exhaust-side
lower the smoker exhaust-side
watch the "how to build a fire in a smoker that doesn't work" video
watch the video again, this time while adding more charcoal and artisan-dried woods
if the wind shifts momentarily, rotate the whole smoker, momentarily (sounds fun,
don't it!!), regardless of how you would prefer it be positioned in your outdoor cooking area
IXL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2017, 02:46 PM   #135
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Polishing a turd. LMAO, yet that is perfectly descriptive.

Again, I really appreciate your insight. Hang in there and know that you've likely helped save folks like a me a pile of frustration and some much needed dinero $$$.

I see you also own a BGE. Now.....there is a product that just flat out works, works, works and friggin' works.

If all my tools & toys worked as smoothly as my kamados then my frustration level would be minimum, indeed.