just starting out.........WSM 22.5

A

Appianway

Hi Folks.

Just put together my WSM 22.5 today. Its made in the U.S.A. :clap2: and very sturdy. I got one of those things to start the charcoal. What else do I need?? Thermometer? what type? Any other advice for new smokers.

Im gonna start with a pork butt and a piece of chuck.

This forum has been a great learning tool. Thanks in advance!

I use an ET-73 by Maverick for a thermo, you can keep an eye on the grate & meat temps at the same time. If all you're doing is one butt & a small chuckie you might need to toss on a couple of fatties to tide you over 'til the big meats are done. I've got a couple of 18.5" WSMs and I love them - good choice for your first cooker!

ET-73 is a nice choice of thermo... Never broke in a WSM... maybe someone will chime in with seasoning tips, Rookie??

Make sure you catch your cooker temps while they are on the way up. Just close off lower vents as needed as you approach your desired cooking temp. My first WSM cook went very well and really no major temp spikes. First time is always fun though! Let us know how it comes out:-D

Thermoworks makes a very nice thermometer that can also be used to monitor smoker temp. Just drop the probe from on of the exhaust holes and let the end get to about grate level without touching the meat. So if you don't have a Maverick (yet), two of these are nice - one for the meat, one for the pit. I use these in combo with a Maverick so during a comp, every large cut of meat has a probe in it.

TW362b_lg.jpg

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/oven_temp_timer.html

Then down the road when you're ready to spend $ on an instant thermometer ... get a red one of these
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen.html

Regarding temp control...I would definitely read this thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82993

Sounds like you'll have everything you need. One thing that seems obvious, but might not be, is some sort of table or counter space very near your cooker....will make it easier to handle/manage the big hunks of meat you'll be throwing on this thing.

Enjoy!

These are good things to consider since I'm still in the market for a WSM. Saving my pennies :)

I like the Maverick ET-7 dual probe for two pieces of meat without opening lid or changing probes. Just throw away the receiver (silver box) and use only the transmitter (black box) and you eliminate all Amazon.com complaints about this unit. When two probes are plugged in, the transmitter unit display toggles temp display between both channels every few seconds. Very rugged and great battery life. I have dropped mine countless times in 5 years and it even got a rain shower overnight once. If they would stop selling the receiver and get rid of that silly wireless transmission stuff they could reduce the price and eliminate complaints. I love to walk out and see, touch, hear, and smell my smoker on occasion anyways. It is not like your meat will suddenly be done and you will miss it... unless you are passed out from too many beers, which is another problem entirely.

If your going to use the water pan make sure the liquid you put in is Hot!!! If not It will take a while to get to up to temps. (I learn this the hard way) Great smoker.

first smoked results

thanks for all the tips....

I started with a fatty, jimmy dean sausage. It was great smoked. Then cooked the piece of chuck and the whole chicken. I followed the advice and half way through put the beef broth and chuck into the foil pan. It tasted good, next time i will use a therm. and take it off when it hits a certain temp. Chicken came out good to.

Thanks for the advice.

some pics 1st time

Here is the evidence that I cooked.

man, I took a shower and still could smell the smoke!!!!

The gravy or sauce from the reduced beef broth was unbelievable!

Attachments

• bq3.JPG
    bq3.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 75
  • bq5.JPG
    bq5.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 75
  • bq6.JPG
    bq6.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 75
You are going to LOVE it. Cooking with water, a stone of some type, or nothing in the water pan combined with your heat source type (lots of options) will each take their own personalities. My advice.... The cooker is mighty forgiving, but as you experiment save yourself the frustration I went through by not changing to many things at a time.
This will give you plenty of opportunities to make great bbq, and figure out what works best for you.

Happy cooking!

Back