MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
SC_Dave
On the road to being a farker

Default Cooker/Smoker Recommendation Please

I have a $3000.00 budget. I have looked at Meadow Creek, PitMaker, Stumps, Lang and Mixons. I will use it for large family gatherings, some catering less than 25 people. It will need to be mobile but I have a utility trailer that I could load a non-trailer unit.

I like to learn from people that know more than I do so hopefully I can buy once. Lay some knowledge on me!
David

Last edited by SC_Dave; 07-02-2013 at 01:57 PM..
SC_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Here is a link to some Brethren made smokers.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/fo...play.php?f=110

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

There are several quality made smokers you listed. Each has their own personalities and hot and cold temp zones. Out of them - will be 2 common facts.

Stickburners require often temp monitoring... feeding the fire every 30-45 minutes. Factor that into your overnight scenarios.

Buy the thickest steel you can afford.
Klose pits offer 1/2" thick firebox and Jambo pits has the insulated firebox for efficiency.

If you value an evening's rest and will not tend the fire thru the nght... you might be disappointed in an offset smoker.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit View Post
There are several quality made smokers you listed. Each has their own personalities and hot and cold temp zones. Out of them - will be 2 common facts.

Stickburners require often temp monitoring... feeding the fire every 30-45 minutes. Factor that into your overnight scenarios.

Buy the thickest steel you can afford.
Klose pits offer 1/2" thick firebox and Jambo pits has the insulated firebox for efficiency.

If you value an evening's rest and will not tend the fire thru the nght... you might be disappointed in an offset smoker.
^ Really good points but IMHO there is just something special about cooking with wood and it is really hard to beat a quality RF offset stickburner. You might also want to read up a little on hot-n-fast cooking. I'm a convert and have not been up all night tending my RF stickburner for months; brisket to butts in less than 8 hours (you still have to monitor your fire but not necessarily overnight).

PS: you might want to take a look/search for fellow brethren TuscaloosaQ's pits.

Last edited by dwfisk; 07-02-2013 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: PS
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
Dex
is one Smokin' Farker

I would suggest a Backwoods Fatboy
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
I have a $3000.00 budget. I have looked at Meadow Creek, PitMaker, Stumps, Lang and Mixons. I will use it for large family gatherings, some catering less than 25 people. It will need to be mobile but I have a utility trailer that I could load a non-trailer unit.

I like to learn from people that know more than I do so hopefully I can buy once. Lay some knowledge on me!
David
Check out Lone Star Grillz out of Conroe, TX. They make a quality product and are quite reasonable on pricing. Here is the model that they're making for me as an example, it has a 4000 sq. inch capacity which is more than most trailer pits that I've seen.
They also have trailer pits, insulated smokers and smaller pipe smokers. My smoker will include a widened cabinet and a warmer/oven which will increase the capacity of the standard unit by 2000 sq. inches yielding a total of 6000 sq. inches. With a 2 ft. x 4.5 ft. footprint it will have more capacity than a Lang 84! Along with the above mentioned upgrades, a half inch firebox, gas assist starting and a charcoal basket my build will come to about $3,200! Not bad for all of that cooking space!

Old 07-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
gmag
Full Fledged Farker

If I had to choose one pit in that price range I would get a BWS Fatboy or an Assassin.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Here is the video for the warmer/oven and it is mounted on the vertical smoker, so what you see in the video will be primarily what I'll have.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
buttburnersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

I am particle to a reverse flow smoker , so I would get a used Lang .

Old 07-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
mep
Full Fledged Farker

I chose the Assassin. It is a gravity fed smoker with four 23.5 x 23.5 shelves and it comes with a BBQ Guru. This gives you a lot of capacity and it is right in your budget including shipping.

Mine should be arriving in a couple of weeks. Here is a link to their site: http://www.assassin-smokers.com/site...rs.com%2F#2729
mep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
JohnnyP
Knows what a fatty is.

I don't know how these cook but i like the layout. It was made by HBT Welding in Section Al.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $T2eC16d,!)0E9s37HlMQBRy02On0WQ~~60_57 (1)E.JPG (484.1 KB, 1003 views)
JohnnyP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
ironmanerik
is One Chatty Farker

Lang 60 patio 2800$ and your close enough to go get it, no shipping. I love my 48 and have never seen a negative comment.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

This question comes up all the time on the forum. From my experience on the forum, asking the brethren what cooker to buy is like asking what car to buy on a car forum. There are so many good ones out there.

I would pick one, or maybe a couple out, and ask the brethren their experiences with those units. Find out the pros and cons of of those particular units.

Check out the suggestions on here, narrow your options, then run those options by the brethren. IMO, you will get more usable information.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #14
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

here is a couple from TuscaloosaQ....that would be me.....

TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #15
jmoney7269
Banned

Pitmaker Bbq safe, ball valves option, BBQ guru diqiQ dx2. You can get whatever color you want. You load the charcoal basket up once and cook for up to 12 hrs. The heck with splitting wood, adding it every 45 min. Plus all of your friends will wanna know how it works, so you get to tell the story of your pit often. A Lang is a heck of a pit also if you want to add wood all the time.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote