MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Default UDS charcoal grate 22.5 or 18

When I built my UDS I made a charcoal basket out of the 22.5 weber charcoal grate. Its huge and I want a smaller one. Is the popular size the 18 or smokey joe size charcoal grate?

I need something to put under it for an ash pan since I don't want to shop vac it out every time or hose it out in the winter time.
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I think it's the 13 or 13.5" charcoal grate
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

I use the grate off the 18".

Old 12-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Just measured the one from an old (1983) 22.5" and it was 17" so go with the 18" charcoal grate
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
dudilous
Found some matches.

I use the 22.5 charcoal grate which is about 17 in diameter. You can't go wrong using the 18 or the smokey joe charcoal grate...it is all your preference and cooking needs. You can always get some expanded metal and roll it into a smaller ring to place it inside the basket you already have if you don't want to start from scratch.

I use a pizza pan attached to my basket as an ash catcher. Mine has no lip but I imagine one with a lip would be better as long as you do not restrict airflow.
dudilous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

The bottom of my basket is the same, but I'm not finding it to be a problem. The walls of the basket are 9" h X 14"diam. and attached to the grate with stainless steel zip ties, and I've got a 16" pizza pan to catch ash at the end of 3 2" bolts for feet.

Are you finding your current basket too heavy or just awkward to lift in and out of the cooker?

I think a grate for an 18" would be OK, but a grate for a smoky joe might be a bit small and you wouldn't get the volume of fuel for long cooks.

One thing I've seen some of the Brethren do is have different smaller sizes of inner basket ring made of expanded steel that they drop into the larger basket to contain a smaller amount of charcoal.
smokainmuskoka is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

I used the Smoky Joe Coal grate. The bottom one that holds the coals off the bottom of the chamber. It about 9" across.. The walls are 12" tall and it work perfect for about 16-18 hour cook.
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
bwsawman
On the road to being a farker

I just used some of the expanded metal instead of a Weber charcoal grate.

My ash pan is an old folding metal chair seat turned over...the edges help keep the ash from falling off and the size is perfect.
bwsawman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokainmuskoka View Post
The bottom of my basket is the same, but I'm not finding it to be a problem. The walls of the basket are 9" h X 14"diam. and attached to the grate with stainless steel zip ties, and I've got a 16" pizza pan to catch ash at the end of 3 2" bolts for feet.

Are you finding your current basket too heavy or just awkward to lift in and out of the cooker?

I think a grate for an 18" would be OK, but a grate for a smoky joe might be a bit small and you wouldn't get the volume of fuel for long cooks.

One thing I've seen some of the Brethren do is have different smaller sizes of inner basket ring made of expanded steel that they drop into the larger basket to contain a smaller amount of charcoal.
This is what I might do. I am going to hit up my friend and see if he has anything we cna make one out of..

I was thinking that or cut it into a square and drop it in there
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote