Rubbing brisket overnight?

Smokey Al Gold

is One Chatty Farker
Ok I posted a few weeks back that I'm making 2 briskets for a party tomorrow. Does it make a difference rubbing the briskets the night before then wrapping in plastic wrap? Or am I good just rubbing them before I put them on tomorrow morning? I want these to taste as good as possible my reputation is on the line here :icon_cool

I've never really noticed a difference. Deciding when to put the rub on the meat, for me, is more about when I'm going to put the meat on the smoker. Early, early mornings, rub before I go to bed. Later in the morning, when I get up...

Smokey...........................;}-

If I might make a suggestion?
Do 1 with your rub(and overnight would be OK-albeit a little intense,I'd think), and 1 with just Kosher Salt and Cracked Black Pepper only, just before smoking! The taste of a S/P Brisket is phenomenal. A "true" Texas flavor.IMHO
Just sayin'
Have fun and
SMOKE HAPPY :wink:
Stan aka old school :icon_cool

Thanks I will just rub them prior to putting them on the kettles. I was gonna do both just kosher salt, pepper and granulated garlic. I'll try one salt and pepper only.

I have heard that it really depends on what ingredients are in the rub i.e. salt and/or sugars as they will tend make the meat dry and even tough. I have quit doing a rub over night. Now I bring the meat to room temperature and then apply the rub and let stand for 30-60 minutes before smoking. Just my opinion and it seems to work for me.

Back