MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
LeeBo
On the road to being a farker

Default Corn Bread

I suppose this message is akin to the pinto beans. That is, corn bread is also a largely cultural / geographic thing.

Here's what we do in OK (I'm sure other Southern states do this too).

Get a cast iron skillet and put a table spoon of baking grease in it. Put it in the oven at 350 until the grease is good and hot. Tilt the skillet around until you have a thin layer of grease and pour off the excess.

Pour your corn bread batter into it and bake per your recipe.

Cooking it in a cast iron skillet with a little bacon grease makes it taste wonderful. Also, some people like it really thin. Just use a bigger skillet.

Lastly, there's a thing call cracklin' cornbread where you put pork cracklins in the batter. I suppose that's the difference between South and Deep South ;)

Here's a pretty decent link:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/castiron/castiron28.html

Use bacon grease on the skillet instead of oil though.

Oh yeah - corn bread and milk makes a great bed time snack!
LeeBo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hadn't thought of the cracklins in cornbread for years! Those are good. (Hummmm,... maybe a crumbled fatty?) I sometimes add corn, diced jalapeno's or sweet onions to cornbread.

Do you ever make hoe cakes? It's just a thinner batter and you cook 'em on a griddle like a flapjack. Usually just one turn and you are there.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2006, 12:45 PM   #3
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

I think I'm gettin' hungry!
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

Love makin cornbread in my cast iron. the one i use belonged to my great grandmother so it has been bakin cornbread for 80 some odd years

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
VitaminQ
is One Chatty Farker

LeeBo, you know what you're talkin' about! Nothing beats my mama's cornbread from the cast-iron skillet! IIRC, that skillet has been in my family for about 70-80 years, too.

ECB w/mods
Weber Smokey Joe
18" Weber Kettle
22" Weber clone kettle
Curb-foundling char-broil gasser
WSM: Assembled! First cook: 8/25/06
Fanatical devotion to the Q
VitaminQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2006, 01:17 PM   #6
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

You can make cornbread in something other than old cast iron?
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha

Old 05-31-2006, 01:21 PM   #7
bbqjoe
Banned

I'm thinking maybe about candy corn and orange circus peanuts!
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2006, 01:29 PM   #8
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmayeux
You can make cornbread in something other than old cast iron?
Yeah, you can...and you can add flour and sugar, too!!

I grew up on cornbread from self-rising meal (I make my own now since I lived in areas that nobody knew what self-rising meal was!) and an egg, a bit of oil (bacon grease is great), and use either a 30 year old "corn stick" pan, a 35 year old 6" cast iron pan, or a who knows how old 10" cast iron skillet. My brother and I split the cast iron between us when momma died - and that was 27 years ago.

I also preheat the skillets but I cook the cornmeal only cornbread at about 450 - it flat sizzles when you pour the batter into the greased pan!!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2006, 01:38 PM   #9
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad
Yeah, you can...and you can add flour and sugar, too!!

I grew up on cornbread from self-rising meal (I make my own now since I lived in areas that nobody knew what self-rising meal was!) and an egg, a bit of oil (bacon grease is great), and use either a 30 year old "corn stick" pan, a 35 year old 6" cast iron pan, or a who knows how old 10" cast iron skillet. My brother and I split the cast iron between us when momma died - and that was 27 years ago.

I also preheat the skillets but I cook the cornmeal only cornbread at about 450 - it flat sizzles when you pour the batter into the greased pan!!
I learned the same way and have been seasoning my "corn stick" pans for close to 15 years now. Should have them almost broken in soon.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2006, 01:50 PM   #10
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Chad, I'm really suprised that you're the only one who mentions that sugar in cornbread is as bad as boiling ribs.

When I was in the Air Force, all the guys from southern states, especially Texas, would really give me what for when I'd cook Jiffy cornbread mix, because it contained sugar. I was assured "that sweet chit ain't cornbread".

Doens't bother me in the least but, cornbread has come up here before and it always suprises me not to hear the "no sugar allowed" argument.

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2006, 02:15 PM   #11
chad

Actually, I don't care one way or another - but MY peference is that it be unadulterated!!

Even working for Luby's cafeteria (a TX company) our recipe called for sugar and flour - ie. a "cake" type cornbread.

I'm just poking a bit. I failed to mention that my recipe uses buttermilk. Sweet milk or "clabbered" just isn't the same and I definately don't get the same "rise" as from buttermilk. The acid in it works with the baking powder and baking soda along with the egg help the bread to rise.

One of my grandmothers made the most fantastic "fried cornbread" or johnnycake type cornbread. It would clog your arteries in a heartbeat or two but it sure was good!!

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),

Old 05-31-2006, 02:19 PM   #12
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge
I learned the same way and have been seasoning my "corn stick" pans for close to 15 years now. Should have them almost broken in soon.
One of the saddest days of my married life was when Anne made spaghetti sauce in one of the cast iron skillets and didn't immediately rinse it out -- the acid in the tomatoes took about 10 years (it was one of my mom's "new" skillets) of seasoning off - right to the bare metal. I kept her anyway but she rarely uses "my" cast iron anymore!!

That skillet is just now getting back to "normal"! You can still see the "ridge" up on the side of the skillet!!

Old 05-31-2006, 02:38 PM   #13
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

I was lucky, as my grandmother "schooled" Melissa about the cast iron. However, my wife is absolutely stumped as to why I use the old free cast iron, when we have a cupboard full of Caphlon stuff.
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha

Old 05-31-2006, 02:51 PM   #14
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

There's nothing wrong with Calphalon... it has its uses and its non-uses... Cornbread is a non-use.

However, I'm from Ohio, and can appreciate things like Skyline Chili, which a Texan would claim isn't chili (I agree, but I like it anyway). Cornbread with sugar and milk on it while the cornbread is hot is something I like, but I don't consider it real cornbread. More like a different form of cereal.

But what about this... all meal, or whole corn added? Jalepenos or no jalepanos?

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2006, 02:55 PM   #15
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Thought Jiffy Mix was real corn bread ?
brdbbq is offline   Reply With Quote