MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason
Default Butcher Paper v. Foil

This has come up plenty before, but I figured with all the recent press/discussion surrounding the immaculate conception of the perfect brisket which involved butcher's paper that I'd bring it back up.

How many of you have tried both and which do you like best? Why? Also, how many will be trying butcher's paper now in place of foil if you haven't already (like me).
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
jptx
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjax View Post
This has come up plenty before, but I figured with all the recent press/discussion surrounding the immaculate conception of the perfect brisket which involved butcher's paper that I'd bring it back up.

How many of you have tried both and which do you like best? Why? Also, how many will be trying butcher's paper now in place of foil if you haven't already (like me).
I'm putting one on this afternoon and will wrap in parchment paper. Can't wait to try and make it jiggle!
jptx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:

After having done both methods, I'll say that I much prefer the results with butcher paper. In my opinion, it produced a better result as far as tenderness and texture. It definately didn't have the texture of some thing that was braised like what you get with foil as far as a soft outer bark. The bark on the paper wrapped brisket was still firm but not soft.

I'm so convinced by the outcome difference that I bought a 24" X 1,000 ft roll of it. Hopefully our son can use some for preschool because I don't see going through all of that any time soon!!!

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

I've done it all three ways and the best tasting brisket was a naked cook. No foil, no paper. I do prefer the texture with the paper over the foil though. Gotten jiggly all ways too.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
smokesalad
Knows what a fatty is.

Thats my plan. Probably parchment. Shooting for the jiggle.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Okay, I keep seeing parchment paper and butcher paper being used interchangeably on the forum, but I believe they are two very different things.

Parchment paper is often used in cooking, as it can take pretty high heats. Butcher paper, as I know it, would be for wrapping and resting -- which is what I think Aaron Franklin uses it for.

Can butcher paper be used IN the smoker?

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
kev2lz
Knows what a fatty is.

I bought a 1000 ft roll of it. I'm very pleased with the results.

I use it in my smoker and it works great!

Old 09-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Okay, I keep seeing parchment paper and butcher paper being used interchangeably on the forum, but I believe they are two very different things.

Parchment paper is often used in cooking, as it can take pretty high heats. Butcher paper, as I know it, would be for wrapping and resting -- which is what I think Aaron Franklin uses it for.

CD
Yes it can, as long as it isn't directly exposed to the heat source. Butcher paper has a flash point (spontaneous cumbustion basically) in the 450* range. And yes, Aaron Franklin wraps his mid way into the cook from what I've read and seen in interviews. And you are correct, butcher and parchment are 2 different things. I believe the recommended temp for parchment is 420* or below. I think that it's lower because of the silicone used in it melts about that temp. I believe that parchment is used in cooking primarily for it's nonstick ability though.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB

Old 09-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Quote:

CD
Didn't a LEARN N' DED feller like you read Fahrenheit 451in school?

Old 09-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Where are you guys picking up these 1,000 ft. rolls?

Old 09-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #11
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Didn't a LEARN N' DED feller like you read Fahrenheit 451in school?
It isn't the paper I was concerned about, it is the coating on the side that touches the meat.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Does a jiggly brisket taste better?

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
It isn't the paper I was concerned about, it is the coating on the side that touches the meat.

CD
Get the uncoated stuff.

I got a Meyer's natural angus brisket on now. I just wrapped in BP about 30 minutes ago. Not great at taking pics but will try to remember.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:

CD
Food grade paper has no coating. You have to make sure it's FDA and USDA approved.

- Beautiful family

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Where are you guys picking up these 1,000 ft. rolls?
www.pospaper.com

www.amazon.com

www.webstaurant.com

Just type butcher paper in the search engine and you'll get all kinds of choices.

- Beautiful family