MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #616
foppa78
On the road to being a farker

For those of you who are able to hold temperatures ~250 have you made any modifications to your CGK? I am also curious as to what your vent settings were to get it to stay steady for so long.
foppa78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #617
okiereddirt
Knows what a fatty is.

Look at post 474 for my mods

Old 07-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #618
Berock
Got Wood.

No mods and I can hold temps at 220 or 250 based on the following: Load Kingsford (not supposed to burn as hot) and only light like 4 coals and keep all open. When temp is 70 degrees from desired temp (180 for 250) I move the settings to a 3 on top and bottom. when temp is 25 out (225), I move to the top of 0.7 and bottom of "barely cracked". It will continue to rise very slowly to 250 and usually maintain around there.
Berock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #619
foppa78

Kingsford briquettes? I have been using royal oak lump. I wonder if it burns hotter and is harder to stabilize?

Old 07-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #620
wilhump
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppa78 View Post
For those of you who are able to hold temperatures ~250 have you made any modifications to your CGK? I am also curious as to what your vent settings were to get it to stay steady for so long.

I usually try to run at 275 but it likes to run about 280. My bottom vent will be a little less than 1 and the top will be at 1 to just over 1. After i light it up i leave vents fully open til it reaches 150 then i shut down to 1 on the bottom and 1.5 on top and let it creep up.
wilhump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #621
Berock
Got Wood.

That was my theory on using Kingsford briquettes based on other people's recommendations. Its worked for me but I'd also like to see what other's are doing to see if charcoal type really makes a difference.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #622
wilhump
Got Wood.

I have only burnt lump in mine because it produces less ash.
wilhump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #623
bb0bbby
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppa78 View Post
No mods here...(yet but soon to come) I made sure all bolts were good & tight, including the ones that were already installed. Some of those were loose to begin with. I also hook the latch before I let it go all night. The key I learned on this site & others is to not light all the lump at once...start in the middle and let it catch the remainder throughout the cook. I used to light it all at once & wondered why it was too hot & burned so quickly. It doesn't take much heat since these style cookers are so well insulated. As far as the vent settings, I had the bottom at about .5 and the top at about .75.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #624
foppa78

Thats impressive. I dump in a good amount of lump and then cut a Webber starter cube into fourths. I take one fourth and light it right on top with one piece of lump on it. When I get to ~100 I will shut it down to the 2 setting on both vents. Then ~150 I shut them down to 1. From here it will slowly raise up to ~225. I will then shut the bottom to .5 and top to either .5 or .75. At this point it will either keep climbing or go out. I really thought bringing it up very slow would help but my temp will still soar right past 225 up to 350+. Yesterday I sealed it up with some BGE gasket. I will give it another run this evening.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #625
foppa78

Here is an update to my previous post. I decided to give my CGK another run now that I have it all sealed up with BGE gasket. The gasket appears to have made a big difference. According to my Maverick ET732 I was able to park it at 225 and I held it there for over 3 hours. Tomorrow I plan to bring the temperature up 100 degrees and smoke a chicken.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #626
bbqlearner
Full Fledged Farker

I've been thinking of grabbing one but finally bought one this weekend at a local Kroger store because of the sale ($165). Will start using it next week

Old 07-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #627
NeckidSmoke
Found some matches.

I haven't had to make any mods and I can keep it between 225 and 240 with no problems. I put lump in the fixebox, and just cover the bottom of a Weber chimney with natural wood briquettes. I get 1 side of the briquettes lite and lay them on top of lump. I have both vents open to 5 until the temp hits 175, then I cut them both back to 2. I let the temp rise to 200 and then I can usually zone in on 225 with the top just below 1 and the bottom at .5

Hope this helps.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #628
bejean
Got rid of the matchlight.

These dropped to $229 at two Krogers I've been to in the Atlanta area.
bejean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #629
Berock
Got Wood.

I'm getting worried they are discontinuing the product.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #630
foppa78

I smoked my first chicken on the CGK today. Temp was steady at 325. It was great!

Thanks from:--->

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado