MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #16
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Warren View Post
Just please trust me and go buy it.

Size of pieces in the bag vary from small to huge. Just break up the huge with a brick layers hammer and you got the size you need for whatever you cook.
I'm trying to muster up a trip to their Brisbane, CA plant. That's the only place that sells their Oak lump. 40#'s for 16 bucks is not bad.
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #17
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles

i'm a fan of Ozark Oak but it's gotten kinda pricey. Looking into buying it in Arkansas the next time i go to Tennessee.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
Mark Warren
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
I'm trying to muster up a trip to their Brisbane, CA plant. That's the only place that sells their Oak lump. 40#'s for 16 bucks is not bad.
$13.95 at your local Cash&Carry if there is one close to you. it's Mesquite not Oak tho.
Mark Warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #19
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Warren View Post
$13.95 at your local Cash&Carry if there is one close to you. it's Mesquite not Oak tho.
I can get the mesquite all day here, the oak is what I really want. I'll give it a go after I run out of Wicked Good and Royal Oak.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #20
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognot View Post
i'm a fan of Ozark Oak but it's gotten kinda pricey. Looking into buying it in Arkansas the next time i go to Tennessee.
It's getting pricey here in Arkansas too compared to what it used to sell for. Dayumed inflation.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #21
Bob Wiley
is one Smokin' Farker

I used to use RO or Wicked Good until I tried Ozark Oak. A bit pricey to have it shipped but I think worth it.
Bob Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #22
Hootie125
Got Wood.

$17 for 20lb and $10 for 10lb
Hootie125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #23
Hootie125
Got Wood.

I live in Houston and believe it or not I couldn't find any stores that carried Ozark oak so I called Ozark oak company headquarters and asked the man for the names of the stores that carried their brand in my area. What I learned from him was there are several small businesses that sell ozark oak lump coal to restaurants in the Houston area.the Ozark the employee told me that the individuals companies from houston have Ozark fill generic named brand bags by the pallet and they come pick them up and sell them to the restaurants in my area. So just because you can't find an Ozark retailer in your town does not mean you can't buy it. Call the company and ask them about retailers in your area. The employees that I have spoken to in the past are down to earth and easy to talk to. I pay $17 for 20 lb and $10 for 10 lbs. they told me price is determined by the independent distributor. I hope this helps .

Old 04-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #24
mbshop
Babbling Farker

bevmo sells the oak lazzari. its were i got mine.
http://www.bevmo.com/Default.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post

Old 04-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #25
Teltum
On the road to being a farker

I like Cowboy Lump best cost to amount of good size chunks.

I have used every other locally available lump. RO is almost all shake. I can get a hold of BGE 20 miles away but $ for gas is 8$ more.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #26
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Ozark Oak
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #27
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
bevmo sells the oak lazzari. its were i got mine.
http://www.bevmo.com/Default.aspx
You sure it's the Oak? Only mesquite is coming up online. I talked to the manager at Lazzari and he said it's only available at their plant near San Francisco.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #28
Hootie125
Got Wood.

I was talking about the brand ozark oak lump charcoal i don't know much about lazzari

Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #29
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

I've long since switched to briquettes (finally got fed up with the inconsistent quality control of lump) but used RO red bags for a long enough time to say I liked it. Didn't love it, but liked it.

I don't think there is a "best" lump out there. Too many brands/bags have such inconsistent QC that its almost like gambling on what's gonna be in the bag. I eventually got tired of the risk taking and made the switch to Stubb's briquettes. Have yet to look back and regret that decision.

To me, the best lump is packed into little pillow shaped black pieces.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #30
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

Just make it yourself