MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
T&S BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Problem with lid

I talked to a guy with a 48" patio smoker from peoria cookers and he said that the lid did not come with a top flange. The problem is that it drips black stuff on the meat, from the top seam down. Should the smoker have come with a top flange? Or is that common on all offset smokers. All answers welcome. Im trying to decide on a smoker.
T&S BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Tell him to stop using a water pan if he is and to run the exhaust damper wide open. The dripping black stuff is creosote and water.It comes from a dirty fire that is starved for air. Closing down on the exhaust damper causes smoke to back up in the cooker choking the fire the condensation from the meat and a water pan if one is used also backs up & collects on the top of the pit making black rain instead of exiting up the stack.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-04-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
T&S BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

He said he does not use water, but he does close the exhaust dampers down a lot . When I talked to the manufacture they said they close them down a lot also to control the fire. Are they building to big of a fire, its a insulated fire box. He also runs a guru.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
16Adams

What's his fuel source? Ignition of this source?

Old 09-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
T&S BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Mostly lump, with a split of wood. He said he puts a bag of lump in and a split of wood and it will cook for hours, with a guru, but he chocks the exhaust down. Im wondering if thats the only way to keep the temp down on that unit, since the owner does the same thing. I always thought that you were to always keep the exhaust open. Your thoughts would be great, I trying to upgrade from a cos to a nice one, but Im super confused!

Old 09-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Does this problem happen during a cook?

For me condensation only happens when I first fire up the smoker and while the cooking chamber is heating up...I have a round cooking chamber so the condensation runs down the front and back...It will drip from the bottom of the door if I close it too early...I use a water pan on occasion if I have room...Still no condensation builds up during cooks...I cook with the exhaust vent wide open, no turbo charger...
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
T&S BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Yes, he said if he dont power wash it out every 3 cooks it will drip down at the top seam of the lid. He thinks its because they don't put a flange on the top. So he watches where he sets his meat. I don't want to cross out peoria cookers on my list but, thats the only contact I've gotten on that cooker. If you can think of another way to contact more owners I would be forever in your debt. I'm new to the site and not sure if I'm doing this right.They look well built but I need to know if they work well.
THANKS

Old 09-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
peeps

Why not contact Peoria Cookers and ask them about this issue. Tell them of your concern and see what they could do on your rig to prevent this issue?
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

he should not be closing off the exhaust.

moisture from the combustion process exits out of the exhaust.

he should control the fire with the intake vents

never close off the exhaust
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

T&S...I don't have a Peoria cooker...I have only seen them on-line...they seem very good and well thought out...I would not cross them off my list...I would call talk to the owner about your concern and how he thought you/he could remedy it...

It may me operator error...Those cookers are very well engineered and should not be dismissed...

Good Luck....
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

Guru on an offset?! insert FacePalm

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #12
T&S BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks guys, I'll call Bill at PC and see what he says. I do appreciate your quick response. I will keep you posted.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
handz98
Got Wood.

I have a PCC 48" cooker with and insulated firebox just like the one described. I have never had that problem. I run with both exhaust stacks wide open. I start with a chimney of charcoal and then a small hot fire with splits of oak or hickory for the remainder of the cook. I preheat my next split on the other side of the firebox away from the fire so that it ignites right away when added. I manage the temp with tinkering with the air intake on the firebox (no guru). It is a very efficient cooker and doesn't take much of a fire to run it at 235 to 250 degrees once it settles in. I usually allow about two hours from start up to meat on the cooker so it is nice and stable. Sounds like the guy you talked to is using way to much fuel and having to choke his fire to maintain his temps...not a good idea. Sounds like he should have bought a BGE instead of an offset...

No regrets on my custom build from Peoria Custom Cookers!

PM sent to T&S BBQ

cbj

Old 09-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
Peteg
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by handz98 View Post
I have a PCC 48" cooker with and insulated firebox just like the one described. I have never had that problem. I run with both exhaust stacks wide open. I start with a chimney of charcoal and then a small hot fire with splits of oak or hickory for the remainder of the cook. I preheat my next split on the other side of the firebox away from the fire so that it ignites right away when added. I manage the temp with tinkering with the air intake on the firebox (no guru). It is a very efficient cooker and doesn't take much of a fire to run it at 235 to 250 degrees once it settles in. I usually allow about two hours from start up to meat on the cooker so it is nice and stable. Sounds like the guy you talked to is using way to much fuel and having to choke his fire to maintain his temps...not a good idea. Sounds like he should have bought a BGE instead of an offset...

No regrets on my custom build from Peoria Custom Cookers!

PM sent to T&S BBQ

cbj

I second that.. I've had mine for two years and never run into that problem. I run mine a little differently though. I leave the intake wide open and control the temp with the top stack. I also start with a little charcoal and then use sticks. The key is just to use the right amount of fuel - keeping the fire small and clean. I've had lots of cookers and this one puts out the best flavor by far IMHO. Good luck with your decision.

Ironside Smokers
BBQ team
Insulated vertical smoker
34" x 72" Custom Build "Slag"
Peteg is offline   Reply With Quote