• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Request: Jalapeno & Habanero Seeds

And it's Christmas once again!

sammy_chocolate_habanero_zps4af7bbda.jpg

By courtesy of Sammy_Shuford, thanks a lot for this fantastic present.

I am already very excited, and can't await to finally start my own chili & peppers herb garden, which is still far away considering the nasty weather and ongoing winter.

So we now have some Anaheim, Jalapeno and Habanero. Anything else that would make a nice addition to that chili & peppers herb garden?

This is absolutely amazing, and would be impossible without the help of you guys over there. :smile:

How much luck have any of you had starting habanero type peppers from seed? I haven't had the best luck.

How much luck have any of you had starting habanero type peppers from seed? I haven't had the best luck.
What was the problem?

It has been mentioned, that seeds that got frozen will not germinate any more, which is what rocketmanray is actually fighting with.

Other than that I can not see any show-stopper for that endeavor, but of course I do not have any experience and results yet.

Habanero seeds can be a bit harder to germinate. They tend to like a warmer spot (75-80*F) Some gardeners use a special warming mat underneath the sprouting pots to give a boost. With your short season be sure to start your peppers early, indoors to get a jump on the season.

I was told to place the seeds in a paper towel that had been dampened with tea. If I recall correctly, the tannins in the tea helped the seeds germinate.

Doesn't matter these days what I put out in the garden. I'm tired of feeding rabbits, groundhogs and deer. Get rid of one and 5 more show up.

WOW! Wish I would have seen your post earlier, I think I could have helped you out more. But I'll try to help a little now.

I see you've received some seeds already. One thing you must remember is that super hot pepper plants like Habaneros have a longer growing season. It's also very important that your night time temps and your soil temps are no lower than 55deg F.

When I grow Habaneros and super hot peppers it normally takes at least 90 days outside in warm weather for the peppers to set and ripen. And also an additional 8-12 weeks inside if you're starting from seed.

You can grow your pepper plants in 5 gallon buckets or plant pots of a similar size if you're short on yard space. If you do grow in a container remember to use POTTING MIX! Not potting soil or garden soil. Do not over fertilize or over water.

If you want some good advice on growing plants and peppers check out
"The Gardenweb Forum"
It's a very good site, and this is getting close to the time when you start seeds here in the US. So there should be a lot of info on there now. Good Luck!

.......Doesn't matter these days what I put out in the garden. I'm tired of feeding rabbits, groundhogs and deer. Get rid of one and 5 more show up.....

Sounds like you have the perfect bait for Food :-D.

I think both (Habanero & Jalapeno) should grow just fine here, they surely get enough sun, water and moderate temperatures. It's my wife's herb garden and she (being in the florist business) very well knows about such plants, it's just that they are not common here, and she couldn't find seeds anywhere locally.

Many of us can get you seeds. And, you should have a window of opportunity to grow them. Believe it or not, for part of the year here in North Texas, it is actually too hot for peppers to set fruit.

You should really build a raised bed for them, filled with soil that drains well. They need water, like any plant, but don't like wet feet (roots). My herb garden is at ground level, and is just local soil, while my pepper garden is raised four inches above ground level, and filled with soil that drains well, covered with mulch. You want very slightly damp soil, not wet, for chile peppers.

If it rains a lot in the summer there, you need to raise your pepper garden six inches or more. My four-inch lift is in North Texas, where we sometimes go months without rain in the summer. If you stick a finger in your pepper soil, and your finger gets wet, that's too much moisture for peppers. For lack of a better description, it should feel just barely "not dry."

Edit: As already mentioned, go easy on the fertilizer, too. Too much can get you some huge plants with no fruit.

My first peppers each year are usually mild. My late season jalepeño peppers this year were scorching hot -- even by my Mexican friend Carlos' standards. I finally made that farker sweat. :heh:

CD

There's good advice above, here in england, I get best results from chili & green pepper plants when I use small plastic greenhouse to keep the plants at a higher temperature.

Something like the link below would cost around EUR10 and can be erected on your existing herb garden or anywhere else you like - I grow tomatoes, peppers, chillies and cucumbers in pots inside them.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardman-08720-Growhouse/dp/B000288DBI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lp_3"]Gardman Growhouse: Morale Uk: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors[/ame]

Now look what arrived by mail yesterday by courtesy of fellow brethren rocketmanray:

rocketrayman_zps7c951c13.jpg

(The seeds at the top are Jalapeno)

This is already so exciting, if everything turns out, there will be a really nice herb garden. You just can't beat doing it yourself, next up some Moonshining... :mrgreen:

Thanks a lot, rocketmanray, that's a really nice addition to our little stock of seeds. Is it spring yet?

And another fantastic delivery from the U.S. arrived today, by courtesy of fellow brethren Mammoth Mountain :smile:

mammoth_mountain_seeds_zps81273952.jpg

Thank you very much, Mike, this is truly awesome! Not only another addition for the herb garden, but also a sample of the product. :thumb:

Any advice on tasting those ground Ghost Peppers?​

Thanks a lot, this is so great, I just love to be a member of the brethren. I wish I could return the favor, but there is absolutely nothing in the spirit of 'Q'ing Austria has to share.

Anybody else with some Jalapeno seeds?

It would be so great, to have some different kinds of hotness freshly available next season. :smile:

What no beer in Austria?

Can't have a BBQ without beer.

There is beer, but honestly it's not that great (although Austrian "Pils" may be better than Heineken and most of the stuff you have over there).

I don't mix BBQ with beer though, and I only drink beer brewed from wheat without alcohol, which I import from Germany. :wink:

Mike,
The Ghost Peppers have a sweet smokey flavor. The heat comes on very slow so don't be fooled. It takes a little while to start being hot. Then it just gets hotter and hotter. Try some with sour cream or yogurt as a dip. I use it like red crushed pepper flakes. Enjoy The Burn!
I use them making pickles, pickled beans, chili, chicken wings, BBQ sauce , etc... I warn people if I use them in something.

Last edited:
Back