MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
alwaysgolf
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Porch on Trailer or no porch.

My buddy and I are in the process of starting a vending/catering trailer. We would like some opinions on whether or not it is better to have the smoker mounted on a porch trailer or tow it seperately with another vehicle. Looking at a 16ft box with a 6ft porch and a 8ft porch with a 18ft box. The larger is slightly out of our price range. Trailer is complete with fridge, freezer, range/oven, griddle, fryer.

I think it is best to have it on one trailer and it frees up the other truck to maybe haul a second cargo trailer when needed with supplies.

Opinions welcomed
alwaysgolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

My un-informed opinion is this: If your tow vehicle can handle the weight of the extra length plus the smoker or 2 that you'd put on there, then definitely go with a porch. That way, ideally you'll never have to worry about towing another trailer or smoker or putting up tents or any of that. Plus, since some health departments require screened enclosures for food prep, the porch would be relatively easy to screen in.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 03:41 AM   #3
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

set up for one vehicle...never rely on that extra help or 2nd vehicle..for real big events then 2nd truck / cooker will be needed....but keep main operation simple..for one person to set up / tear down. ... .unless going BIG

Old 03-27-2013, 05:38 AM   #4
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

I was always curious about all that weight so far back, behind the axles and whether it would cause the trailer to be prone to fishtailing and swaying. Extremebbqtrailers.com sells the ones with porch so you might check their site in that regard.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
jaxbbq
Got Wood.

Depending on your health/licensing agency you may need to put your smoker on the porch. Here is how mine is set up.
PC312264 (360x270).jpg

PC312267 (360x270).jpg

PC312268 (360x270).jpg
jaxbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
JimmyDAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Sweet! Is that a Southern Pride?
JimmyDAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
alwaysgolf
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks for the replies, definitely want to go the porch route. But may have to go smaller trailer, due to budget concerns, (AKA Wife< LOL). So, may have to lose the freezer and possibly griddle.
Will be using a SPX 300 but not mounted through the wall.
alwaysgolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 12:38 AM   #8
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

give the trailer builder your weights of equipment and basic location, they will ballence axle location my sp weights 1,800 and sits behind the axle..

Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
jaxbbq
Got Wood.

JimmyDAL- it is a FEC500 No gas assist only pellets

Old 03-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxbbq View Post
Depending on your health/licensing agency you may need to put your smoker on the porch. Here is how mine is set up.
Attachment 77606

Attachment 77607

Attachment 77608
Very nice rig.

What is that Kubota?
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
jaxbbq
Got Wood.

yes it is 11KW with 100 gal fuel tank. Uses about .8 gal per hour at full load.