MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #256
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

I wonder if the guys at Guru have looked at a possibility of going with a new hardware platform for say CyberQ 2.0 utilizing the Raspberry PI platform. It's cheap enough, at $25 a unit and having seen a few already home DIY projects for home brewers using it for Temp and fan controls I thought might be an idea.

Once I settle on a Smoker I already know I am going with a CyberQ ... until I read this forum I was worried I was going to have to code an Android App interface but looks like that was taken care of by Chad (thanks) and Palmtree - dude that windows app is tight! Thanks for all your hard work. (Sorry not an Apple user - lol)

Gerry

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #257
HKChad
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDGeek View Post
I wonder if the guys at Guru have looked at a possibility of going with a new hardware platform for say CyberQ 2.0 utilizing the Raspberry PI platform. It's cheap enough, at $25 a unit and having seen a few already home DIY projects for home brewers using it for Temp and fan controls I thought might be an idea.

Once I settle on a Smoker I already know I am going with a CyberQ ... until I read this forum I was worried I was going to have to code an Android App interface but looks like that was taken care of by Chad (thanks) and Palmtree - dude that windows app is tight! Thanks for all your hard work. (Sorry not an Apple user - lol)

Gerry
It's overkill. Arduino/Rasberry PI all that stuff is great for prototyping/hobby but for production use there is to much 'stuff' on those that's just not needed. I bet with the WiFi it cost cyberq less than $50 to have built in china case sensors, lcd and all. What you are really paying for is their firmware and all the PID tuning they did. Let me know how the Android app works for you and what features you'd like to see, I can always add ideas to the list.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #258
Gnomatic
Got Wood.

Got my CyberQ Wifi this week. It came with Firmware v1.1. The faceplate of my unit has a bit of a different look to it than the ones I've seen.

This thing is a breeze to set up. I powered it on, connected to it directly with an iPad(the Guru comes set in ad hoc mode), and immediately went into the Wifi Setup. I changed it over to infrastructure mode, typed in my router's SSID and password, submitted the values and rebooted the device.

Gave the CyberQ a minute or so to boot up, logged into my router(DIR-655), and could see the Cyberq was connected as it was listed under my router's wireless clients info. I then assigned the CyberQ Wifi's MAC a static IP address from my router, and forwarded Port 80 to the Guru's static IP, and BOOM, I can connect to and configure the CyberQ Wifi from anywhere!

It took me maybe all of 5 minutes to complete. I wish all of my electronic gadgets ect. would "just work" the way this thing does! I envisioned a lot of troubleshooting.

Now, onto the apps discussed here.

First off, I installed palmtreefrb's Windows controller software on my desktop PC. Everytime I launch it, it gives me the following error message:

I click "Continue" on the error box and it disappears. From that point the program appears to run fine. I typed in my Guru's IP address and the controller software immediately connected to it and started reading the temp probes etc. Now, after clicking the "Stop Cook" button, when I try to close out of the program I get another error:

I have to go into the Windows Task Manager in order to shut the program down.

Moving on to HKChad's CyberQ BBQ Monitor for Android.

I installed the app on my Droid Charge, typed in my router's WAN IP address into the "Server Name" setting under Preferences, and let 'r rip. The app picked up my CyberQ Wifi right away. No glitches, it works great!

Oh, and I decided to purchase this little accessory for the CyberQ Wifi when I ordered it.

Big thanks to HKChad and Palmtreefrb for all the work you guys have done creating the apps for the CyberQ Wifi etc. Much appreciated!

All in all, I can't wait to cook with my new gear!

Last edited by Gnomatic; 10-25-2012 at 02:01 PM..
Gnomatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #259
HKChad
Got Wood.

Gnomatic, try right click run as administrator. If that doesn't work Rick will have to help.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #260
palmtreefrb
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't know why, but some users have to set the application properties to "Run as administrator"

There are two places you can set this. On the Desktop icon or in the executing program folder. Depending on your version of windows it can be

C:\Program Files (x86)\wedonet
or
C:\Program Files\wedonet

Right click, select Properties, select Compatibility tab then Check "Run this program as administrator""

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomatic View Post
Got my CyberQ Wifi this week. It came with Firmware v1.1. The faceplate of my unit has a bit of a different look to it than the ones I've seen.

This thing is a breeze to set up. I powered it on, connected to it directly with an iPad(the Guru comes set in ad hoc mode), and immediately went into the Wifi Setup. I changed it over to infrastructure mode, typed in my router's SSID and password, submitted the values and rebooted the device.

Gave the CyberQ a minute or so to boot up, logged into my router(DIR-655), and could see the Cyberq was connected as it was listed under my router's wireless clients info. I then assigned the CyberQ Wifi's MAC a static IP address from my router, and forwarded Port 80 to the Guru's static IP, and BOOM, I can connect to and configure the CyberQ Wifi from anywhere!

It took me maybe all of 5 minutes to complete. I wish all of my electronic gadgets ect. would "just work" the way this thing does! I envisioned a lot of troubleshooting.

Now, onto the apps discussed here.

First off, I installed palmtreefrb's Windows controller software on my desktop PC. Everytime I launch it, it gives me the following error message:

Clicking on the "Details," gives me the following:

I click "Continue" on the error box and it disappears. From that point the program appears to run fine. I typed in my Guru's IP address and the controller software immediately connected to it and started reading the temp probes etc. Now, after clicking the "Stop Cook" button, when I try to close out of the program I get another error:

Clicking on the "Details," I get:

I have to go into the Windows Task Manager in order to shut the program down.

Moving on to HKChad's CyberQ BBQ Monitor for Android.

I installed the app on my Droid Charge, typed in my router's WAN IP address into the "Server Name" setting under Preferences, and let 'r rip. The app picked up my CyberQ Wifi right away. No glitches, it works great!

Oh, and I decided to purchase this little accessory for the CyberQ Wifi when I ordered it.

Big thanks to HKChad and Palmtreefrb for all the work you guys have done creating the apps for the CyberQ Wifi etc. Much appreciated!

All in all, I can't wait to cook with my new gear!

Old 10-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #261
Gnomatic
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKChad View Post
Gnomatic, try right click run as administrator. If that doesn't work Rick will have to help.
Whoa! Thanks Chad that got rid of the errors. I could have swore I tried that last night while I was fiddling this stuff, but whatever, seems to be running fine now after setting it to run as Administrator.

Thanks!
Gnomatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #262
Disconnect
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKChad View Post
It's overkill. Arduino/Rasberry PI all that stuff is great for prototyping/hobby but for production use there is to much 'stuff' on those that's just not needed. I bet with the WiFi it cost cyberq less than $50 to have built in china case sensors, lcd and all. What you are really paying for is their firmware and all the PID tuning they did. Let me know how the Android app works for you and what features you'd like to see, I can always add ideas to the list.
Finally had an excuse to update the wifi and try your app. Found a couple of bugs with alarms but otherwise awesome. The only feature I'd love is trending graphs. And I'd pay for it if it was in the play store :-)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #263
Donaldbyrd
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

tried to down load the app to my iphone and ipad2 on both they get half way thru and say they cannot complete any ideas what i am doing wrong?
Donaldbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #264
wjwheeler
Full Fledged Farker

I have a new CyberQ Wi Fi that's still in the box. I was going to use it to monitor temps only. I don't need a blower control on my smoker. After reading all of this, I think I'll sell it and just use my Maverick ET732. There are some very smart people on here. Great job!
MMS Vulcan V33 Gravity Feed with Stoker
Myron Mixon 72XC - Sold
Jumbo J3 - Sold
Jacks Old South Original Patio Smoker
Myron Mixon Pitmaster Q3 36" Barrell & 24" Square
wjwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #265
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjwheeler View Post
I have a new CyberQ Wi Fi that's still in the box. I was going to use it to monitor temps only. I don't need a blower control on my smoker. After reading all of this, I think I'll sell it and just use my Maverick ET732. There are some very smart people on here. Great job!
Can't send you a PM because you have disabled that feature for your account. I am still thinking about purchasing a CyberQ, if it's an unused item, I guess you are not willing to give much off?

Old 11-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #266
jeffbokc
Found some matches.

This is a great site and a very helpful thread for issues with the CyberQ Wifi. I recently got the CyberQ Wifi and had troubles setting it up on my home network, iPhone and iPad. I discovered there are issues you have to know about if you use Apple products (which I do) and I thought it would be helpful to include solutions to these issues in this thread.

1. I couldn't connect the CyberQ Wifi to my home network in ad hoc mode. I have an Apple Airport Extreme router connected to an iMac desktop. I made sure the wireless card was turned on on my iMac. When I plugged in the CyberQ, I could see the CyberQ on the list of devices on my iMac, but still the CyberQ wouldn't connect. SOLUTION: The CyberQ can connect to only one device at a time in ad hoc mode. It was connecting to the Airport Extreme and therefore couldn't connect to the iMac. To fix this issue I completely powered down the Airport Extreme router by unplugging it. I then restarted the CyberQ and could easily connect to my Mac.

2. Before trying the above solution, I tried using my iPad and iPhone to connect to the CyberQ. Again, I could see the CyberQ Wifi on the list of available wireless networks on both my iPad and iPhone, but neither would connect. SOLUTION (Not really a solution, but the answer): Apple's iOS 6 operating system does not support anything in ad hoc mode. Give up trying to connect to your CyberQ Wifi with an Apple product using iOS 6. This information is from Damian at BarBQ Guru.

3. After connecting my iMac to the CyberQ Wifi as in step 1 above, I configured my Airport using these very helpful instructions: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=135197 , and started using my CyberQ in infrastructure mode.

4. When I would use Safari in my iMac to control the CyberQ, everything worked great. Not so with Safari in my iPhone or iPad. The information on the CyberQ web page would not update (this issue occurs only with Safari on the iPhone and iPad). SOLUTION: This is an issue with Safari for iOS 6. Download and install the Chrome web browser (free!) and use it to connect to and control the CyberQ. Works perfectly!

I hope this is helpful for those who have Apple stuff.
jeffbokc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #267
Grant968
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbokc View Post
This is a great site and a very helpful thread for issues with the CyberQ Wifi. I recently got the CyberQ Wifi and had troubles setting it up on my home network, iPhone and iPad. ....
Adhoc mode with my iPad 1 & 3, and iPhone 4, works perfectly for me, no set up issues, right out of the box. Connection easy.

But true WiFi remains elusive for me. I have not been able to connect to my home WiFi Cisco Linksys router. I have no problem accessing the router and subsequent Internet with my Apple and my MS-windows products.

Wish list:
1. An app to automatically set up my CyberQ WiFi connected to my Linksys and the Internet
2. Failing #1 above, then allow the cool CyberQ apps designed for WiFi and discussed on this site to also work in Adhoc mode.
Grant968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #268
mvrs
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default CyberQ Wifi Infrastructure Mode SSID Case Sensitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant968 View Post
But true WiFi remains elusive for me. I have not been able to connect to my home WiFi Cisco Linksys router. I have no problem accessing the router and subsequent Internet with my Apple and my MS-windows products.
I just got my CyberQ Wifi and got it woking with my net as well as my the pass through so I can see it on the internet.

I had problems getting mine to work on Infrastructure mode. The problem was that I needed to set my SSID exactly as it is defined on the router. This means that the SSID on the CyberQ is Case Sensitive. Haven't seen that before but I typically don't have to type in an SSID.

Hope this helps
mvrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #269
appdesigngeeks
Got Wood.

Default BBQ Remote for iPhone and Android

Hi Everyone,

We have received alot of feedback from people testing the iPhone and Android App for the BBq Guru.

I have noticed that there are alot of people trying to download and install the app from the website. If you are unable to download and install this means that the app certificate has not been signed with your specific device id (UDID).

Once the app is released to the app store for iPhone and Android this is no longer and issue. The website link is only used for beta testers.

We have received alot of feedback from some of the beta testers and we are currently in the process of updating/enhancing the app and will be releasing it to the app stores soon.

Sorry for not getting this out sooner but we were pulled away on another mobile project.

I will post some more information on the website of some upcoming features in the app. Such as a twitter like stream were people can post pictures and text of their cooks and other people who have the app will be able to veiw. You will also be able to upload the pics directly to twitter and facebook.

I will post some updated screenshots on the website when they are available. If anyone has some ideas they would like to see in the app. Please email [email protected]

Thank You

AppDesignGeeks
appdesigngeeks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #270
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

My wife did not want to get me the CyberQ WIFI for X Mas so she told me to go get it and that she would be upset if I did not. So I took her advice Now all I have to do is figure out how to use it and put it on my I Phone and or computer- a Dell
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote