I've finally scored some PECAN wood "WOOT" w/Pron!

D

Derek

Hey guys, gals.

I've finally scored that elusive wood known as Pecan. And my step dad will be cutting it in thirds so it will fit in the weber nicely.

I've also have planned on buying Lump but I will wait to buy lump this weekend at Gorden's.

873369294_nTJLS-L.jpg
They guaranteed it was Pecan, the helper at the store mis marked the package, they said you can tell by the smell.

It's interesting how wood varies by regions. Here pecan and mesquite is freaking everywhere. You can find it walking around outside or at every grocery store. Nice score!!! Let us know how you like it on your next cook I'm sure you'll post pron. :-D

It's interesting how wood varies by regions. Here pecan and mesquite is freaking everywhere. You can find it walking around outside or at every grocery store. Nice score!!! Let us know how you like it on your next cook I'm sure you'll post pron. :-D
Ut oh, You know me that well all ready :p

Of coarse I will bro.

Yeah, as a kid living in San Antonio we had pecan trees in our yard and my dad would pay us (penny a pecan) to pick 'em up. Obviously lots of branches. In my area of Georgia, no pecan trees and I haven't seen pecan wood available in any of the stores I frequent.

Yeah, as a kid living in San Antonio we had pecan trees in our yard and my dad would pay us (penny a pecan) to pick 'em up. Obviously lots of branches. In my area of Georgia, no pecan trees and I haven't seen pecan wood available in any of the stores I frequent.
My mom claims we have 1 pecan tree in the front yard ( more on the side of the yard ), but its been dead for years.

But I've been calling around for my local stores and the don't have it or they don't carry it. And one store said we only carry the flavor of wood that sell the most.

I scored a bag a while ago, too. It was the only one on an endcap at a hardware store surrounded by hickory and apple. I paid through the nose for it, but I got it. The way people praise it on here, I hope it's worth it! Good Eye, Derek!

I scored a bag a while ago, too. It was the only one on an endcap at a hardware store surrounded by hickory and apple. I paid through the nose for it, but I got it. The way people praise it on here, I hope it's worth it! Good Eye, Derek!
with tax I've paid $20 out the door.

So I hope it's going to be worth it, and my mom had the nerve to say this, Well that bag will not last, how you smoke & grill Derek!

My brother has about 30 pecan trees, so I've got a nice source since he is a beliver in propane grills.

Very cool, Are they in good standing?
Well, they are standing.

And how much to send me some pecans?

Will not have any pecans till the Fall. I will try to remember to check with you if old timers disease will let me.:becky:

Will not have any pecans till the Fall. I will try to remember to check with you if old timers disease will let me.:becky:
LOL, Thanks bro.

I will make a mental note to ask around the fall time..

( I know we can get them here at the stores ) but only when they're in season...

LOL, Thanks bro.

I will make a mental note to ask around the fall time..

( I know we can get them here at the stores ) but only when they're in season...

I usually get 80-100# of pecans from him. I then crack and shell 'em. I vacuum pack the pecans for the freezer and i take the shells and put in empty cat litter buckets.( Got 4 indoor cats-yea i know)This way i can just throw them on the charcoal anytime i need them.

I usually get 80-100# of pecans from him. I then crack and shell 'em. I vacuum pack the pecans for the freezer and i take the shells and put in empty cat litter buckets.( Got 4 indoor cats-yea i know)This way i can just throw them on the charcoal anytime i need them.
Nice, nice!

I've throwing the shells on wood like hickory will null the flavor a bit?

is that true?

I have five huge pecan trees in my yard....and still haven't smoked with any yet.

I'm surprised that no one has said this yet...

Derek has wood!

Pass it on!

:becky: :becky: :becky:

OK... OK... I'm going to the penalty box now...

Back