• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Just scored a free 55 gallon closed top drum. Plan on cutting the top off, giving 'er a good cleaning, then a burn just to make sure. I have everything else I need, including a Weber lid I found on the curb that will fit with a little rubber hammer work. Will post pics as soon as workload allows (and assuming my daughter hasn't lost my camera again).

Thanks Brothers!
I will definitely make them bigger. I've got a problem but a good problem. I was too anxious to wait to smoke something so I picked up a 7 pound boneless pork shoulder pre rubbed from my local meat market. It's actually doing well, I'm around 230 +\- 7 degrees. So I can't open the holes up until my first UDS creation is done. It's been on for 2 hours and went from 45 to 106 right now. Most recommend pulling around 190-195 if I read correctly.
I'll post some pics of the finished product later tonight. Thanks so much for everyone's help!

Thanks Brothers!
I will definitely make them bigger. I've got a problem but a good problem. I was too anxious to wait to smoke something so I picked up a 7 pound boneless pork shoulder pre rubbed from my local meat market. It's actually doing well, I'm around 230 +\- 7 degrees. So I can't open the holes up until my first UDS creation is done. It's been on for 2 hours and went from 45 to 106 right now. Most recommend pulling around 190-195 if I read correctly.
I'll post some pics of the finished product later tonight. Thanks so much for everyone's help!

You are cooking at the perfect temperature so there is no need to fool with anything right now. Don't panic when the meat hits the infamous "stall." Last one I did got to 155 in the first few hours, then took ten hours to get to 160. Took a total of fifteen hours but it was perfect. Slow and steady....

You are cooking at the perfect temperature so there is no need to fool with anything right now. Don't panic when the meat hits the infamous "stall." Last one I did got to 155 in the first few hours, then took ten hours to get to 160. Took a total of fifteen hours but it was perfect. Slow and steady....

Just in case nobody got the memo.... The perfect cooking temp is now 270. 225 is so 1995.

Control your pit, don't peek, don't use water, and cruise at higher temps. Fat renders better, and final result will knock your socks off.

I'm drawing from PT's rants, but IMO, it works.

. We used the hinges with some modifications due to the lip of the drum from the uniflame.

I just used a few washers to space the upper section of the hinges out until it was in proper alignment.

bbq.jpg

bbq2inside.jpg

Just in case nobody got the memo.... The perfect cooking temp is now 270. 225 is so 1995.

Control your pit, don't peek, don't use water, and cruise at higher temps. Fat renders better, and final result will knock your socks off.

Wow I had no idea, searching through the forums I've read most used 225-230. I haven't peeked once as hard as it is I appreciate the tip!

new uds I built for the 4th of july

was feeling patriotic so I thought this would be nice for our 4th of july party:biggrin1:

Attachments

• 2012-06-16_18-15-48_886.jpg
    2012-06-16_18-15-48_886.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 842
My first UDS creation a boneless pork butt. Came out really well and juicy and tender. I foiled when it stalled at 162. It took just over 7.5 hours to hit 194. Worked pretty good and held 230ish very well.
da6990fc.jpg

1e5f1b06.jpg

132748b6.jpg

bf8acdef.jpg

Yup this is my new way of cooking too. You all are doing an awesome job on these drums. The John Deer looks bad ass.

Tell me guys, If I've read the first 210 pages of this thread, do I still need to read the whole thing or do I have the basics? :wink:

Tell me guys, If I've read the first 210 pages of this thread, do I still need to read the whole thing or do I have the basics? :wink:

you would be missing out on some cool ideas but you probably have the basics down. There is cool mods throughout the entire thread ...took two weeks sporadically reviewing at work to get to the last page... for now anyway. I printed pictures of what I want to do with my new 3 barrels I score for $50. I was going to make them all interchangeable for rotisserie, weber cover, several levels, grill option, and diffuser option. That is the plan... will see how things change.

I've gone through every post over the past couple of years. It's a good long read. :playball:

I Just thought I'd post the drums that I have built this last year...

Attachments

• barrell.jpg
    barrell.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 814
  • IMG_0443.jpg
    IMG_0443.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 806
  • IMG_0405.jpg
    IMG_0405.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 926
Last edited:
Burning out a barrel

Hey Everyone,

This thread has been doing me a lot of good but one thing I am still confused about is the burn out. If you buy a brand new unlined drum do you need to do a burn out or can you go strait to rubbing it down with oil and seasoning?

Thanks,
Dave

Hey Everyone,

This thread has been doing me a lot of good but one thing I am still confused about is the burn out. If you buy a brand new unlined drum do you need to do a burn out or can you go strait to rubbing it down with oil and seasoning?

Thanks,
Dave

If it were me, I would have some kind of hot fire in it just to make sure everything, if any, inside where you food is going to be was cleansed by heat. That's just me.

Back