MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
gstanle
Got Wood.

Default Taking a competition cooking class

If anyone is wondering if it's worth it to take a competition BBQ class I would say ABSOLUTELY!!!

Here are some reasons why:

I learned a ton at the recent DR. BBQ class. I took what I learned and applied it at my very first competition, and I won first place in chicken, fourth place in ribs, and third place overall.

Yes, it was a backyard competition, and yes there were only 7 teams, but with a number of the participants using this as a warm up for the Autry, it was a pretty serious competition. My son and I are very proud of our accomplishment, and can't wait for our next chance to compete. What a confidence booster this was for us.

I have talked to a few people who took the QN4U class in AZ recently. Every single one of them said they learned a lot, and feel much more confident about competing in the future. I even heard that a first time cook, with a brand new (still in the box) smoker, did extremely well competing against the others in the class because he did what Brent & Kim taught him.

I know there are a number of "accomplished cooks" who continue to take classes from others, and continue to hone their skills and up their game by doing so.

I'm finding out very quickly that this is not a cheap sport. When you look at the cost of competing in even just a few comps. a year, why wouldn't you spend a little bit of that money to shorten the learning curve.

Hopefully we will have more of these classes available to us over the next couple of years. I will definitely take advantage of them when ever possible.
gstanle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
Single Fin Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Hey! I'd drive to south county to smell your butts my brother! Keep up the good work. I'm gonna try to post my pics from last weekend tonite.
WSM
Webber Kettle
True stainless kegerator w/cheap 1/2 barrel
10'6 EC single fin
10' Minchington 2-1 set up

Last edited by Single Fin Smoker; 03-27-2007 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: spelling
Single Fin Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looking forward to them Kevin!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

If Mike Davis ever has another one I would really love to attent his. Sounds like a real experience.

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoysBBQ View Post
If Mike Davis ever has another one I would really love to attent his. Sounds like a real experience.
Mike is holding another class in July. Stay tuned.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2007, 09:16 PM   #6
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

i am lookinf forward to drbbq this weekend, i learned very little at paul kirks class
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2007, 09:21 PM   #7
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
Mike is holding another class in July. Stay tuned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoysBBQ View Post
Contact them now and get on the waiting list. They may already be booked for the next class without having announced it. What a problem to have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LOTTA BULL U March 07 (Medium).JPG (105.3 KB, 38 views)

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 10:33 AM   #8
DeezQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I also took Paul Kirk's class last year and found that I did not get as much out of it as I was hoping too. But it was a good experience. I would be interested in taking another class from Dr.BBQ or Mike.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Backwoods Extended Party, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]UDS, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Weber Kettle 22.5 (x 2), [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Gasser, Orion Cooker, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]24x48 Custom Griller, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Turkey Fryer x 2, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Small BGE, ECB, Char Broil Double Chef[/FONT]
DeezQ is offline   Reply With Quote