Pre-Comp Jitters?

jcpetro97

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
so.. comp newbie question... Did you all find, that as you got to your first comp, ( or maybe still do ) as you are practicing, that as you get closer to the date, you start feeling a little jumpy about the comp? I am doing my first single-entry event in a few weeks, and all of a sudden, I am feeling like more practice runs are needed....

Which actually brings me to another thought.... when you are doing a run through for a full KCBS comp... how many full practices are you all doing? Just wondering...

The greatest athletes/competitors will tell you that they still get nervous before every game/competition. It's what you do with the nervous with the game starts that determines how good you'll be.

Our 1st comp of the season is next weekend(26-27) and we just had our practice run this past weekend. I feel like throwing up every time I think about the comp. Happens to me every time too...lol.

This is just my 2nd year so I still feel like a noob. While I don't think you can ever have too much practice there comes a point where you just have to trust you know what you are doing/going to do and then do it at the comp.

I haven't done a full practice run in a while as I feel we have the full event timing down. But now we practice different recipes on meats we think need work in flavor/tenderness. For example last week I wanted to work on chicken before the comp I did over the weekend as chicken was by far my worst category. I mean it is just a complete dumpster fire. So I started with a different chicken recipe the Sunday before and cooked it 7 or 8 different times that week tweaking it slightly each time until I got the flavor I wanted. And it paid off as my chicken did much better.

So I now don't want to tweak the chicken anymore and will work on pork next since that needs some changes to flavor.

A competition is about 75% preparation, and 25% execution. If you've done it enough times, achieved the results you were looking for, and DOCUMENTED how you got there so it's repeatable, then I think you should relax. Make sure you have a detailed schedule posted on your wall during your cook, and it takes away a TON of the anxiety. Just follow the tasks, meet the timelines, and let the judges determine what happens after you turn things in.

Thanks everyone! Some great feedback, I appreciate it

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Sheesh, just relax and have fun! That's what it should be about, don't get so serious! Be flexible, **** happens!

Hebe thanks BC. I am a musician as well and typically. I get nervous leading up to a performance. However when it comes to showtime those nervous butterflies are gone and I am all business. I would expect the same thing here.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I was a nervous wreck when it came to my first KCBS competition. But the jitters go away for the most part the more seasoned you become. My advice: have the details of the last 60 mins before turn in written down so you can reference it when it comes to crunch time. Having that list will save you from forgetting anything you wanted to do. Stop by for a visit if you have any questions...or just need a cold one to settle the nerves. We will be getting there sometime Friday afternoon and staying until Monday morning.

We just did our first comp about ten days ago. I was a nervous wreck.

I had practiced all I could, fretted over details, and just about made it no fun for myself or my team mates.

First, It's BBQ. The same thing you do to relax in your backyard. Have fun while doing it.

Second, work on fundamentals like we did. No DQ's, Turn ins on time, and no DAL's.

Third, enjoy those around you. I met some awesome folks that weekend, all of them willing to give me a tidbit of advice.

We all have lofty goals of being the next contest crusher at BBQ. The jitter and anticipation are just part of it, but it all makes it worth it when you crack a brew at 1:31 on Saturday, and say, "It's all up to the judges now."

Roll with it, have fun, and good luck!

It was one year ago that I was getting ready for my first comp. I did two or three practice cooks to get my timing down, but I was still nervous as all get out. I don't think I slept much the week before the contest. Now as I am gearing up for the first comp of the year (same one I lead off with last year) I'm not really nervous, but I am really excited. Looking forward to seeing a lot of my new friends I met last year. The cook is what it is. Like others have posted, meet your turn ins, stick to your time line, and everything else will fall into place. Trust in yourself and your team to get the job done, and make sure you enjoy the experience. :)

Just like Keith, we were preparing for our first comp. last year - and we were super nervous. We did multiple practice cooks, with a full run through two weekends before to get our timing down...

Once we got to the site, we were lucky enough to be right next to Sean at Red Valley BBQ who helped us get set up and provided moral support. While it was stressful, they helped us remember it's supposed to be FUN. :-D

Now we're gearing up for the first contest of the season, and I can tell you we're just as nervous/excited as we were last year... I don't think that ever goes away - and maybe if it does it means we're not looking forward to it anymore - so I'm glad we still feel that way.

Stop on by and say Hello in Roc City!

If I dont get the jitters, I'm going to quit doing it because for me it means I'm bored with it. I get nervous the week before and more so on the drive to where ever we are going. Once there though, I get set up see friends and all seems right.

Just like Keith, we were preparing for our first comp. last year - and we were super nervous. We did multiple practice cooks, with a full run through two weekends before to get our timing down...

Once we got to the site, we were lucky enough to be right next to Sean at Red Valley BBQ who helped us get set up and provided moral support. While it was stressful, they helped us remember it's supposed to be FUN. :-D

Now we're gearing up for the first contest of the season, and I can tell you we're just as nervous/excited as we were last year... I don't think that ever goes away - and maybe if it does it means we're not looking forward to it anymore - so I'm glad we still feel that way.

Stop on by and say Hello in Roc City!

I will definitely do that. I plan on coming down during the KCBS comp on Sunday to walk around, and try to meet some of the folks from this fine message board. I will make a point to come say hello...

Especially @ ROC City, take a walk around and chat up some teams. Check out KC and the Smokeshack Band so you know what not to do...(kidding Pelkster!) ROC is a perfect way to get your feet wet. I've heard there's over 100 teams this year, so your odds of DAL are pretty minute. Enjoy your cook, enjoy your time and prepare to become addicted.

Oh, by the way, the preliminary forecast for next Thursday is PERFECT. After last year, we're due for some good weather.

Hey JC, when are you planning on getting on site for the ROC? If you're going to be there Friday night, there is a welcome party for all the teams that evening at the beer truck by the stage hosted by us Buckner Brothers (we've been compared to a small village or an army). It's another great way to meet other teams, plus its free pizza and beer. The only people not allowed to the welcome party are Flyers fans, which I have a feeling that everyone is okay with that.

Hey JC, when are you planning on getting on site for the ROC? If you're going to be there Friday night, there is a welcome party for all the teams that evening at the beer truck by the stage hosted by us Buckner Brothers (we've been compared to a small village or an army). It's another great way to meet other teams, plus its free pizza and beer. The only people not allowed to the welcome party are Flyers fans, which I have a feeling that everyone is okay with that.

Not sure yet Matty... Probably Saturday morning. I only live a couple of miles from the site, so we may get there early Sat morning, around 7am, since we are only doing the rib comp. If I can get away on Friday evening, i may stop down to the welcome party, we'll see. I do plan on coming back Sunday to walk around while the comp is going on, and trying to see if I can get in before the park opens to the public at 11, so I am not walking around too close to turn-in and can talk to a few folks...

Especially @ ROC City, take a walk around and chat up some teams. Check out KC and the Smokeshack Band so you know what not to do...(kidding Pelkster!) ROC is a perfect way to get your feet wet. I've heard there's over 100 teams this year, so your odds of DAL are pretty minute. Enjoy your cook, enjoy your time and prepare to become addicted.

Oh, by the way, the preliminary forecast for next Thursday is PERFECT. After last year, we're due for some good weather.

Looking forward to it!! I took the Smoke on Wheels class with my manager last year, gonna take the DivaQ class this year. It HAS to be better weather wise than last year. I froze my backside off!!

As far as our goals... It was simple... Have fun, and not finish DAL. Everything else is gravy

Especially @ ROC City, take a walk around and chat up some teams. Check out KC and the Smokeshack Band so you know what not to do...(kidding Pelkster!)

Let's talk about that Friday night as you're buying me a beer :tea:

Back