Cooking in the Cold on the WSM

Mike in Roseville

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'll be doing some cooking this weekend in 15-25F temps. Anything special I need to know for operating the WSM at freezing temperatures?

Done that many times. Temps aren't as much of a concern as the wind. Just shield it from the wind and you should be fine.

It'll burn just a bit more charcoal than with cooking at warmer temps. Probably not enough for you to notice though.

My son cooked a Turkey on T Day on his WSM About 11* He used Lump- burns hotter There was very little wind He had no problems

you'll use more fuel so account for that.

I would avoid water in the pan as that will burn even more fuel as well

cold isn't the problem as much as wind. a wind break helps

I've cooked in under -20°F on my old WSM. it was so cold a glass of water thrown into the air would freeze before it hit the ground.

Yep. Keep her out of the wind and probably open the vents just a little more. Im from the south but run mine in Colorado last year in 28* and had no problems...

Good luck brother.

Rb

I burn more Lump during the Winter.
I smoke under a Tin Roof, and out of the wind, so I don't notice a major difference in smoking time.
I live in North Alabama... Not a lot of real Winter weather here... :)

lowes or home depot or uhaul..Get a Large HD moving box. Open top and bottom flaps, put some duct tape on the corners or the flaps so they dont collapse. Perfect wind break and even keeps some heat in surrounding the WSM.

Ran mine close to you in Minneapolis today. Only difference I noticed was that it took sightly longer to get up to temp, and was way easier to keep temps from spiking. I was shocked to find my charcoal lasted nearly as long as summer.

lowes or home depot or uhaul..Get a Large HD moving box. Open top and bottom flaps, put some duct tape on the corners or the flaps so they dont collapse. Perfect wind break and even keeps some heat in surrounding the WSM.

Hi What size moving box? Seen a few on HD website.
Thanks DanB

Hi What size moving box? Seen a few on HD website.
Thanks DanB

if you at home depot just get an insulation material called relectix. its shiny silver. make a cylinder a few inches bigger than the cooker

Back