MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #46
txsmkmstr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotn11 View Post
Hey buddy,

Did it work, I am trying to set up so anyone can PM me, if not let me know how I can do it!

Check your messages...

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-03-2018, 01:00 AM   #47
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Hay Patriot, I think we talked on Facebook about this. I've been casually looking for Post Oak chunks, but only found bags of expensive splits at HEB. Hell, I'd get those, but don't have an easy and safe way to cut splits to chunks. Glad to see you found a source. Now I just need to find a friend with a bandsaw...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2018, 01:18 AM   #48
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
Hay Patriot, I think we talked on Facebook about this. I've been casually looking for Post Oak chunks, but only found bags of expensive splits at HEB. Hell, I'd get those, but don't have an easy and safe way to cut splits to chunks. Glad to see you found a source. Now I just need to find a friend with a bandsaw...
You can get a 10" mitre saw for $100 and just chop of some splits into chunks. Thats what I do for my grilling mesquite chunks. A lot cheaper than paying $10 a bag for chunks.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #49
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
You can get a 10" mitre saw for $100 and just chop of some splits into chunks. Thats what I do for my grilling mesquite chunks. A lot cheaper than paying $10 a bag for chunks.
This is what I do. I also make sure that my body is clear of the soon to be chunk, since on very rare occasions it kicks back

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2018, 09:15 PM   #50
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
This is what I do. I also make sure that my body is clear of the soon to be chunk, since on very rare occasions it kicks back[emoji23]
Well they are called chunks...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2018, 12:26 AM   #51
patriotn11
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : GENO

Quote:
Hey Terry

thats great, yeah I'm in the Lone Star Grillz owner and fan club! This here is a awesome for too! I've been away from BBQ smoking for a few years and now I have restored my LSG I'm ready to Roll!

Are you in San Antonio, give JD a call he will call you when he gets some if out! Yeah the chunks at HEB get expensive! I have now a half a cord and will split the larger splits and probably make chunks with my miter saw!

Thanks for the response!

Old 12-04-2018, 12:29 AM   #52
patriotn11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
This is what I do. I also make sure that my body is clear of the soon to be chunk, since on very rare occasions it kicks back
Exactly,

I felt a little kick on the miter saw, holy cow this PO wood is like a rock and solid through!

I'm used to mesquite being not so dense!

Old 12-04-2018, 08:26 AM   #53
sthamm
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Get a B&D Alligator lopper and save the miter saw for your other wood projects. Lopper is $65 and couldn't be any easier/faster/safer for turning splits into chunks (even really big splits).

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-.../dp/B000BANMUY
sthamm is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 12-04-2018, 09:47 AM   #54
THoey1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamm View Post
Get a B&D Alligator lopper and save the miter saw for your other wood projects. Lopper is $65 and couldn't be any easier/faster/safer for turning splits into chunks (even really big splits).

That looks pretty cool. At first I thought it was too small, like use with one hand. The I saw the second picture. Looking into it. Thanks!

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].

Old 12-10-2018, 05:50 PM   #55
THoey1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamm View Post

So, one of my best friends is in the tree trimming business. I shared that link with him and told him he should get one for his business so I could borrow it a couple times a year. My birthday was Friday and he gave me one. He said he looked at the reviews, thought he might burn one out too fast to make it practical for his business, but said it sounded great for my use.

Thanks again for the idea!

Old 12-10-2018, 06:04 PM   #56
patriotn11

Quote:
So, one of my best friends is in the tree trimming business. I shared that link with him and told him he should get one for his business so I could borrow it a couple times a year. My birthday was Friday and he gave me one. He said he looked at the reviews, thought he might burn one out too fast to make it practical for his business, but said it sounded great for my use.

Thanks again for the idea!
Happy Birthday and congrats!

Old 12-11-2018, 09:07 AM   #57
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post
Didn't Bigmista once post something saying that "wood was wood" and was all basically the same? Most people could not tell the difference in a blind taste test. (just 'cooking' wood- no pine, fir or others)

I think he did a full reverse when mesquite was brought up. He would not let it near his pit.
Hi Your right on about telling the difference between woods..I use 4-5 different woods and they all taste the same to me.
DanB

Old 12-11-2018, 10:53 PM   #58
patriotn11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Hi Your right on about telling the difference between woods..I use 4-5 different woods and they all taste the same to me.
DanB
Post Oak don't Taste like Mesquite!

Old 12-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #59
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Post Oak don't Taste like Mesquite!
Hi I never used Mesquite..I have used apple-cherry-black cherry-hickory-pecan-mulberry, and all taste the same to me?
DanB

Old 12-13-2018, 08:55 PM   #60
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Well,

I bought 1/4 cord of seasoned Post Oak with a little Live Oak and 1/4 Mesquite! Great looking and seasoned wood for my smoker! I bought if from JD Wood past China Grove down 87 near 1604! Great deal, $140.00! He is a good man been in the business over 40 years!

My friend in San Antonio was looking for wood and I told him about this place and gave the number. When he called he was told "We don't sell Oak".

Strange...
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.