MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
cayenneman
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Stoker wifi problems.

I have the Stoke black box and have had it for a year or more. Actually I'm on my second one and I'm still having problems. The problem; I start it up, it connects to the wifi and everything plugs along great for a couple of hours or so. At some point in the cook, my monitoring devices be it the Stoker interface, the Stokemaster app, or Stokerlog will lose connection. I go out to the unit and check to see if the IP address is still there, and it has zeroed out (see photo below). I turn the unit off and reboot and the IP addy will come back. I've had his problem for a while and whenever I talk to the boys at Rock's BBQ, they tell me it's anything but the unit. I have cable Internet and bought a high dollar Linksys router so I dont think that is affecting it. I finally went to a computer systems and repair shop and got a computer guy to check it out. He recommended I set up a static IP addy. I changed the channels on the router to get a less busy channel and he came over and set up the static IP for me. Per Kevin at Rock's advice, I was going to run a 24 hour test with no 3rd party apps to see if it dropped the signal. I didn't need 24 hours as it dropped about 4 hours into the test. I got my computer guy to call Rock's and he said Kevin reluctantly agreed to replace the board and the antenna in my Stoker. So that leads me to today. Just shipped it out UPS and now I wait with the expectations that the same thing is gonna happen when it does get back. Anyone have the same problem or have any advice on how to maybe correct the problem I have? I sure could use some advice as this is quite annoying.
cayenneman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

You aint gonna like it but you asked, I'd attempt to get my money back and learn to tend the pit, I have never seen the need for such gadgetry, Aint nothing more relaxing than hanging out drinking a few cool ones and tending the pit.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

Mine does the same thing. I have to restart it it and then it last for a little more. I thought it was my router but maybe not....

Old 02-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sounds like a problem with firmware in the unit, especially if you have to power down and restart to get it all back to normal for a few hours before zeroing out the settings again.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
jgdusc
Knows what a fatty is.

I recently got one ( Christmas). Was playing around with it Saturday morning. Finally got it to be seen outside my network which was cool. Not sure how long that last but it worked when I wanted to look at it. Just got the stoker log and am going to try it on my next cook.

When I am in wifi mode, mine never has an address under IP Address. I only get and address in the wifi address (RO).

When it is plugged in with the cable I get info under IP address.

I have used the Stoker app for 14 hours a couple weeks ago and it stayed "connected". When ipad goes to sleep it stopped refreshing data, but as soon as I refreshed it showed me the temps. The graph wasn't being updated of course.

Not sure this is right or wrong but FWIW.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I've had some issues with mine as well, but I mostly attributed it to a weak wifi signal. I do know that with one of my routers, the stoker could be 10' away and it was dropping out. I'd have to reboot the stoker to get it to reconnect.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
cayenneman
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I sent it back to Stoker the other day, so I will let you guys know what happens when I get it back.
cayenneman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
Full Draw BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I have a love/hate relationship with my Stoker. I have an older "white" model with a router attatched to it. When it ran my Stumps, it was a dream, and purred along perfectly. When I got my Lang 60D, I started to have issues with the Stoker, and connectivity is #1 on the list. I can't count on it anymore, and just use it for temp monitoring.........and even that fails half the time. I'm lucky that I have an "IT" guy on my team, and he lives across the street, so he is always jacking with it. But for someone that is NOT technically gifted when it comes to addresses and figuring out what is wrong, it can be the most frustrating device ever.

Lang 60D trailer
[COLOR=darkorange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen
22.5 Weber Kettle - retired
Gateway 55 gallon Clone X2
Full Draw BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote