Why does everyone cook chicken thighs?

Because they are consistent and offer the most dark meat (flavor). They also look great in the box (when done right).

For the paychecks

Cheneychix.jpg

Once upon a time we decided to get clever and turn in legs...75th out of 98 teams. Yeah, we didn't try that again.
They do look the best in a box and are more forgiving because they hold moisture better than other parts.

Cooked exactly the same, most pieces of chicken will taste similar. So, taking taste out of the mix, you have a few answers above, but there is more.

Look to the definition of tenderness and you'll find most of your answer. Breasts especially have an unbelievably narrow window of when they're perfectly tender. Mix that with box preparation, time between turn-in and when a judge gets to bite in it, and it's very tough to get a breast timed correctly. Everything else perfect, slightly off in tenderness will get you middle-of-the-pack real fast. Wings you have issues with skin and the amount of meat. Some are having a little success with drums, but you have issues with tendons and presentation issues...

Frankly, going off of thighs in KCBS or KCBS style comps (ala. FBA, etc.) is risky, and a risk probably not taken by anyone hoping to compete for GC.

I've had my best results with drumsticks actually, and even thinking about going down to chicken wings. I personally hate thighs, and think the judges have had enough of them too.

Once upon a time we decided to get clever and turn in legs...75th out of 98 teams. Yeah, we didn't try that again.
They do look the best in a box and are more forgiving because they hold moisture better than other parts.

Millitant Squatter (Vinnie) did very well with Leg turn-ins when he cooked in competitions. There are a lot of variables to consider.

Millitant Squatter (Vinnie) did very well with Leg turn-ins when he cooked in competitions. There are a lot of variables to consider.

True. I have been searching for a picture of them. It has been at least three years and many comps since. If memory serves, they looked and tasted really good. I have talked with a few teams that have done pretty well with legs, but I'm not brave enough to try it again.

Back