XL BGE Gasket Help

halfprice

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well my gasket melted away while cooking a couple of pizza last night. I've did a search and see lots of Brethren have replaced their original felt gasket with the Rutland Oven gasket. I have a couple of questions about this and appreciate any input.

1. Since I have the XL how many feet or inches is needed????

I know the large is 67" but uses 84" with a couple inches to spare. I don't know the circumference of the XL. Haven't measured my yet but can do this tonight.

2. Should I use the adhesive that comes with the gasket or should I use
Permatex Ultra Copper???

3. Has anyone had a problems using this gasket with it being made out
of fiberglass

4. Does the gasket come in larger length if not I guess I will need two

5. Is there a better option???

THanks for the help.

Jerry

I burned min off my Large within a few months of BGE ownership doing pizza.
Removing the gasket adhesive is a PIA and I decide I wasn't ever going to do that again.
I decide to make a gasket saver. When I cook pizza's, I remove the gasket.

img5297n.jpg

img5319j.jpg

img5321a.jpg

Mine fit and works great so far. A few others have tried it but haven't received any feedback. I know there was a diamater fitment problem on a Medium I cut.

I saw your original post and sent you a PM. Question for you?? What the heck are all the attachments I see in your second pic??? Looks like you did a few mods.

Jerry

Rutland and Permatex is the way to go. Have had mine on over a year. Have done 1000° cleaning burns and dumped grease on the lump causing a huge flare up... No damage to the gasket.

I replaced the felt gasket with the white, nomex gasket sent from BGE. I used 3M Super 77 adhesive, as suggested. No problems since replacement and sale of the XL. I replaced it with a Medium but have not donw any high heat cooks as of yet.

I replaced the gasket on my Primo with a Rutland kit. The glue got very brittle and the gasket came off in about three weeks. I reinstalled the same gasket using Permatex and it its working great.

I replaced the gasket on my Primo with a Rutland kit. The glue got very brittle and the gasket came off in about three weeks. I reinstalled the same gasket using Permatex and it its working great.
:thumb:

I use the Rutland on my UDS cone tops. Do NOT use the gasket cement that is included in the kits. Use the Rutland high heat RTV or the Permatex.

Back