MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #3136
dgaddis1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale View Post
Good job.

If you are not consciously working at self-promotion now would be a good time to start. You have a great story and the food columnist for the local newspaper should hear it if he/she has not. Someone in your network of restaurant friends knows this columnist and should be able to arrange a meeting for you. It's an even exchange; you have a story you'd like to get out and the columnist needs material to publish. If you have a good photo of your closed restaurant, take it along. It may get published. Your new employer would be ecstatic, too, if you get some ink.
^^Just be careful about throwing people under the bus. Easy to do when emotions are running high, but it's really not good long term.

Glad things seem to be working out Jeremy!

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->

Old 08-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #3137
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale View Post
Good job.

If you are not consciously working at self-promotion now would be a good time to start. You have a great story and the food columnist for the local newspaper should hear it if he/she has not. Someone in your network of restaurant friends knows this columnist and should be able to arrange a meeting for you. It's an even exchange; you have a story you'd like to get out and the columnist needs material to publish. If you have a good photo of your closed restaurant, take it along. It may get published. Your new employer would be ecstatic, too, if you get some ink.
Right there with you. As soon as the deal is inked we will be leveraging the story of what happened at Fat Cap, and the original Prized Pig and hitting the media to get the ball rolling on this new gig.

Oddly enough, as soon as I posted this update my old boss tried calling me. I didn't pick up. lol
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2018, 01:56 PM   #3138
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

Sorry about the bad luck but you already know it was a blessing in disguise! Stick to your principles and success will follow! Take care man, glad to hear from you!
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8[/URL]
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2018, 01:56 PM   #3139
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Right there with you. As soon as the deal is inked we will be leveraging the story of what happened at Fat Cap, and the original Prized Pig and hitting the media to get the ball rolling on this new gig.
Good. Be careful, though, that the main story is about you and not the new gig. It is very common in our market for the food columnists to follow chefs, not restaurants, and the current gig is not the main subject of the stories.

Here's an example I found with an internet search: http://www.startribune.com/these-3-m...hen/479417423/ Note that the focus is subtle but it is on chef, not the gig.
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-16-2018, 02:07 PM   #3140
jacobp
Knows what a fatty is.

Can confirm ownership of Fat Cap are some pompous, self righteous *******s. They behave even worse at their fine dining place downtown.
jacobp is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:09 PM   #3141
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Good luck with the new gig.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #3142
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

The Salt Lick does the leftover strategy but they’re still expanding. So it can be done correctly. But man, write a book! Then work out a signing tour at other bbq joints...

Old 08-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #3143
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
The Salt Lick does the leftover strategy but they’re still expanding. So it can be done correctly. But man, write a book! Then work out a signing tour at other bbq joints...
maybe he'll tell the whole story in the book. sorry but the way things were left hanging I'm not very interested in round 2 or 3.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #3144
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Damn what a roller coaster ride! Hope it works out for you; it sounds promising!

Old 08-16-2018, 04:14 PM   #3145
Kimo1
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kimo1

Enjoyed reading this. Especially now, as I head down this road myself.
Kimo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2018, 09:15 AM   #3146
nmeyer414
is One Chatty Farker

Good luck jeremy!

Old 09-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #3147
mrpar101
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Ive read this entire thread but must have missed why the Prized Pig actually closed? Can someone tell me so I feel like I know the whole story after reading 210+ pages.

And a big thanks to Jeremy for telling his story. Very enlightening. And ofcourse I will be making the pickles in the near future. Thank you again Jeremy.
mrpar101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #3148
nmeyer414
is One Chatty Farker

It was never stated why the prized pig closed......yet

Old 09-20-2018, 11:49 PM   #3149
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmeyer414 View Post
It was never stated why the prized pig closed......yet
It was a combination of a lot of things. Financialy not viable, debt, divorce, trying to open a second location, bank backing out of financing after tens of thousands spent on said new location, etc.

There was no single thing that led to its closing, but rather a lot of things that happened all at once making it clear it wasn’t going to work out. Things probably could have been salvaged, but at some point you have to decide whether to cut your losses and move on or potentially get into an even worse situation.

Life is full of opportunities. The restaurant had a good run and I learned a lot of what needs to be done, and more importantly, what shouldn’t be done. The prized pig was a success in a sense, but the location and business model I put in place, along with marital problems and expansion plans at the time, made for a situation where a decision had to be made.

I had my opportunity, and along came another opportunity. In the end that didn’t work out either. But more lessons learned. But guess what? There are so many other opportunities out there. I’m in the process of helping open two brand new bbq restaurants. I may end up becoming the executive chef. I may become a partner. I even have an investor who wants me to blow those offers off and open the prized pig again in a new location.

Closing the prized pig wasn’t the end. It was just the beginning. A stepping stone. A learning experience. That chapter may have closed, but bigger and better opportunities are abound. I don’t know where this journey will take me just yet, but I foresee good things happening in the world of bbq. And I will update when I can. But be sure, more bbq is coming.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:48 AM   #3150
TheBBQJew
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Jew

“Success is going from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”
TheBBQJew is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->